Any writers on TI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any writers on TI?

I'm always interested to meet and talk to fellow writers. Anyone here dabble in writing? Anyone making a career of it?

If you're a writer, post here and tell us about it! What do you like to write, what inspires you, how do you avoid the dreaded writer's block... any and all thoughts are welcome but no spam!

I'm not a writer but would love to share my thoughts...

Dear JJ,

I'm not a writer but I would surely like to share my thoughts on writing, in a few words...

I'm not a writer,
    But I would like to get there,
    Just noting my thoughts,
    At times, thinking-"Should I dare?"

For it's not that often,
    That I pen what I think.
    But when I read what I write,
    I sometimes feel I need a shrink!

I love words, I love'em a lot,
    Playing with them right to the dot.
    And letting my feelings flow through my words,
    I like seeing them fly as free as the birds.

But many a times I hit a wall,
    And don't know what to say, whom to call!
    I simply run out of words and then,
    Have to start all over again!

A Lady in Pink once told me to take a walk,
    If I wanted my hidden potentials to unlock.
    Or grab a cup of coffee and take a break,
    Go bake a cake or have a choco-shake!

But I guess that it's all a matter of time,
    That one gets it right without spending a dime.
    And at times it's only a spark of inspiration.
    That helps you get to the next station.

And listening to good music does help sometime,
    To get motivated to write words that rhyme.
    But what helps most is a readers positive word,
    That makes you feel special, makes you feel heard!

For their caring words always make me wonder,
    Inspiring me to write like thunder.
    For when it comes to this Happy-go-Mac,
    What works best is a good Feed-back!

:001_smile:

Thank you for the opportunity!

Best Wishes,

Mackenna
    Last edited by mackenna; September 20, 2010, 09:30 AM. Reason: Adding some color :)
    If you liked someone's post, Hit Thanks!
    Better yet, Add to their positive Reputation!
    Remember:The Secret to Living is Giving :001_smile:
    Thank-you
    JustJenna,
    Bridskid
    & TankGirl for so much!

Comment

Well does making rhymes and lyrics count as a writer? Then I'm one of those xD

I began making rhymes, poems, lyrics, since fall of 2009, when a friend of mine challenged me to write for him a song.

In fact, I've made for myself my very own musical album xD ...but it only has lyrics and instrumentals, couldn't find a studio to sing. o_o

I also love books, especially SF and Crime/Detective-related....my personal favorite is Agatha Cristhie.

If you want to know how I make my GFX materials :
      Click Here!
      If you want an avatar/signature/userbar made by me:

Comment

I do write but not in english..

Comment

me as well, write short poetry
          but in russian
          art is a pain or just self-expression?:)

Comment

I right a decent amount of poetry. I've been told I'm rather good. Here's the last thing I wrote.

If I was to tell you that I loved you, I would only look obsessed.

But it's not that I want you back, or that I've started to regress.

Because fuck every reason why we're help apart.

I only want what's best for you. You knew that from the start.

Yeah, I'm ready take a shot and shot back at any other man.

But, I'm ready to walk away and let you go if that's a better plan.

You see I don't care about me, that's why I love you strong.

And, that's why I always thought you'd always love me but maybe i was wrong.

I don't need you to come back now.

But, just let me know how your doing some how.

Because I'm ready stop, drop, then roll.

If only find your way to the goal.

No, there may not be much left. And, our fights may be over.

Even though I don't think of you, my heart's still getting closer.

I wish we could see the truth and kill every fuckin lie.

Mole hills turned to mountains of guilt on both sides.

Time changes nothing. It all stays the same.

Both sides are guilty but I'll take the blame.

Comment

Well I am a published writer Jenna, just not in the way to which you are referring ;)

I've just been studying for my PhD, and as such have published in several scientific journals. I do not have any problems with writing a story, as long as I have a plan of what to write :)

Creativity??? Sorry, that is pretty far down on my list of talents :)
              Need Help? Then join our IRC Channel

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8...dsigjameo2.png

Thanks to HummingBird - TankGirl - Trevor - Mavarachi - Stevenb 1989 - All those guys in red

You know why

Comment

I do a bit of writing as well, mainly short pieces. I find that just talking with EVERYONE helps get those creative juices going. Improving with actors is also a great way to get new ideas.

Comment

I do write a little. My main problem is that I find very little time to actually sit down and write the actual story. I have a lot of meta data written; setting, technology, culture, lore titbits, almost biographies of characters; but when it comes to the actual story I often get writer's block. It's too linear, I think, the way of thinking when writing story. Being quite scatter-brained, I'm more than capable to write meta data but horrible at writing the story.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to enable oneself, discipline oneself if you like, into writing story?

Comment

Originally posted by konaya View Post
                    I do write a little. My main problem is that I find very little time to actually sit down and write the actual story. I have a lot of meta data written; setting, technology, culture, lore titbits, almost biographies of characters; but when it comes to the actual story I often get writer's block. It's too linear, I think, the way of thinking when writing story. Being quite scatter-brained, I'm more than capable to write meta data but horrible at writing the story.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to enable oneself, discipline oneself if you like, into writing story?
                    This describes me as well. I try to write, and I certainly have the talent for it (although I can do a lot of improving), but actually sitting down and creating a story is something I just can't seem to do (I've tried many times). It's hard for me to commit to writing a story. I suppose my attention span is quite small, but I'm going to have to overcome that if I want to create a career out of my abilities.

Writer's Block is a pain as well. From what I've experienced, just powering through it or brain-storming ideas that have nothing to do with what you are writing can help you overcome writer's block. Everyone is different though.

Comment

Originally posted by Astroboom View Post
                      This describes me as well. I try to write, and I certainly have the talent for it (although I can do a lot of improving), but actually sitting down and creating a story is something I just can't seem to do (I've tried many times). It's hard for me to commit to writing a story. I suppose my attention span is quite small, but I'm going to have to overcome that if I want to create a career out of my abilities.

Writer's Block is a pain as well. From what I've experienced, just powering through it or brain-storming ideas that have nothing to do with what you are writing can help you overcome writer's block. Everyone is different though.
                      Brain-storming ideas that have nothing to do with the matter at hand is usually how I end up writing a lot of meta data and no story in the first place, unfortunately.

Ah well. I have a mid-term exam (probability theory) tomorrow; according to Murphy's law, a terrible writer's itch will set in during the test, so we'll see if I manage to produce something interesting tomorrow. :)

One thing a friend of mine suggested was that my scatter-brained way of writing would be suitable for writing the plot for a computer game. I did start on a more noire grown-up take of Pokémon a while back just for kicks; perhaps that could be turned into a game some day.

Comment

Brain-storming ideas that have nothing to do with the matter at hand is usually how I end up writing a lot of meta data and no story in the first place, unfortunately.

Ah well. I have a mid-term exam (probability theory) tomorrow; according to Murphy's law, a terrible writer's itch will set in during the test, so we'll see if I manage to produce something interesting tomorrow. :)

One thing a friend of mine suggested was that my scatter-brained way of writing would be suitable for writing the plot for a computer game. I did start on a more noire grown-up take of Pokémon a while back just for kicks; perhaps that could be turned into a game some day.
                        Ah, I see. To each his own I suppose. Also, this is somewhat common advice, but beginning with the end in mind can set your story into place and give you a direction or goal that you want to go towards. It's advice that I should take more, lol.

As for the Pokemon idea, if the idea is original enough and not just "Grown Up Pokemon", then yeah that would definitely be pretty great. A more mature setting for Pokemon is something that I would definitely like to see, and have imagined for quite a while.

Comment

Ah, I see. To each his own I suppose. Also, this is somewhat common advice, but beginning with the end in mind can set your story into place and give you a direction or goal that you want to go towards. It's advice that I should take more, lol.
                          Yeah, to each his own :) hm. I'll try beginning with the end in mind; common advice or not, I haven't actually tried it.

As for the Pokemon idea, if the idea is original enough and not just "Grown Up Pokemon", then yeah that would definitely be pretty great. A more mature setting for Pokemon is something that I would definitely like to see, and have imagined for quite a while.
                          I'm not sure about what counts as original, since I haven't looked around for any other mature Pokémon fan-made fiction. However, given the somewhat repetitive setting of the original games, my idea will be original enough to be interesting. For one, you don't start at the beginning, working towards the end; you start at the end, with no recollection of your life, and try to find your past. You don't play one single person; rather, the perspective will alter between different characters, fates converging. I don't want to have one protagonist versus one antagonist; there will be multiple parties involved, each with their own interests. Sometimes conflicting, sometimes not. I want the player to sympathise with all parties to some extent. I want the "Final Great Battle™" to take place in the game as much as in the player's conscience. And I want many possible forks in the story, leading to many possible endings; every choice you make will affect the outcome. The linearity in the original games is a problem when it comes to replay value, and I want to eliminate that problem.

Comment

I write killer essays with pretty awesome theses. I'm also starting to write up my scientific paper, so yeah, I'm a writer.

Comment

Yeah, to each his own :) hm. I'll try beginning with the end in mind; common advice or not, I haven't actually tried it.

I'm not sure about what counts as original, since I haven't looked around for any other mature Pokémon fan-made fiction. However, given the somewhat repetitive setting of the original games, my idea will be original enough to be interesting. For one, you don't start at the beginning, working towards the end; you start at the end, with no recollection of your life, and try to find your past. You don't play one single person; rather, the perspective will alter between different characters, fates converging. I don't want to have one protagonist versus one antagonist; there will be multiple parties involved, each with their own interests. Sometimes conflicting, sometimes not. I want the player to sympathise with all parties to some extent. I want the "Final Great Battle™" to take place in the game as much as in the player's conscience. And I want many possible forks in the story, leading to many possible endings; every choice you make will affect the outcome. The linearity in the original games is a problem when it comes to replay value, and I want to eliminate that problem.
                              That's absolutely great. I love the idea and I think it would work very well in a Video Game setting. I will agree that I'm not fond of how linear Pokemon is. Once you are finished the only thing you can really do is catch more Pokemon, or train them. Both get really tiresome after a while. With your idea, you can extend the experience and is definitely more original than past Pokemon games.

Comment

Working...
                              X