Headphone Buyers Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphone Buyers Guide

I needed to replace my headphones over the holidays, and did some digging for reviews, etc. I came across this extensive resource of reviews and guides. Hope it helps others in the market.

Buyers Guide - http://theheadphonelist.com/articles...-buyers-guide/
    • Provides quick recommendations by sound category (bass-head, smooth, etc) and price

Review of 300+ headphones

If you have your own recommendations, please add them below. Include what there best for and price.

I have two pairs:

Etymotic Research ETY-Kids, which are not specific to kids. Great at noise isolating, and use them when commuting in subway, etc. The set that includes phone controls is ~$50. Only complaint is that some of the ear tips are on the small side.

Shure SE215 - Good at noise isolating, comfortable, and great sound depth. Bought them some time ago for under ~100 on Amazon.

Headphones and earphones I own:

- SoundMagic E10 : sound is alright, balanced, though lacking. Quite cheap so a nice choice for people on a tight budget
    - Sony MDR-EX650AP: great sound, incredibly balanced. Quite confortable. Paired with a FiiO X1 (flac feels great). A bit pricy (around 70$) but worth it.
    - Audio Technica ATH-M50x : confortable headset, great looks. Modular cables. Great and powerful sound. Some people use it for professional use. Quite pricy (140$ at amazon) but really worth it.

Can't really detail much about the feel of each of them while listenig to music but the last 2 paired with great FLAC files sound as if you were listening to the music directly from the instruments. They have a really nice depth and you can tell about each of the instruments used in the music (or different kinds of sound, if you will)

Hope it helps. :)
    Last edited by GreatCat; June 20, 2015, 06:55 PM. Reason: Dodging the grammar police :)

Comment

Sennheiser makes excellent headphones.

Comment

I definitely recommend the audio technica ATH-M50x , had them for 6months, still running smoothly.
        I would say to get an amplifier too, because the sound card in your phone or pc is probably not that great. Which is a shame because The AT have a lot to offer.
        But it is not required, you will still have good quality sound with or without the amp, but it just takes it to another level. The mid-frequencies, bass and highs will all be sharper and more defined. Which makes you extract the most out your Audio technicas. Btw you can get a good amp for about 35-45 $, coupled with the 140 of ATH-M50x will cost you around 180 but it's definitely worth every penny. Plus for that kind of quality your are looking at 250-300 price range for stock headphones.

Comment

I've been using the Sennheiser PC 360 for a year or two now and I love it. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch but these are quality. According to my raid team, the mic is very clear over TeamSpeak.

I would recommend these but I'm sure they've come out with newer models since then.

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gamer-he...rophone-pc-360

-=Edit=- Added link

Comment

I'm trying to save up for Sennheiser HD 650's (Best headphone I've heard in person but I didn't have my portable amp on me when I demoed them). I've had some cheap Sony over ears and ATH-M50x's but they both broke and I'm afraid of what would happen to those things under my watch

Comment

For anyone that plans to have headphones for indoor use, I recommend to try to use open headphones. The difference between closed headphones and open headphones is that open headphones intentionally leak sound. In doing so, they provide a better soundstage. Soundstage provides "distance," meaning you can hear when something is close or far from you.
              Ideally open headphones are better for gaming because it helps map out your surroundings better.
              If your budget is below 120 dollars I recommend the Phillips SHP9500. If you are lucky they might sell for 60 dollars

Amazon is selling it for 75 dollars currently.
              Amazon.com: Philips SHP9500 HiFi Precision Stereo Over-ear Headphones (Black): Electronics
              New Egg is selling it for 60 dollars currently.
              Philips SHP9500 Over-Ear Headphone Exclusive - Black - Newegg.com
              The prices change as time goes along.

For gamers like me and people who communicate online (skype, discord, etc.); I recommend getting the V-moda boompro mic to connect to your headphones
              Amazon.com: V-MODA BoomPro Gaming, VoIP Headset Headphone with Mic (Black): Electronics

Also I don't recommend headphones that say "gaming headsets" or 7.1 headphones. They are pretty overrated and usually overpriced.
              Last edited by Calcium; June 16, 2016, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sanbay View Post
                I definitely recommend the audio technica ATH-M50x , had them for 6months, still running smoothly.
                I would say to get an amplifier too, because the sound card in your phone or pc is probably not that great. Which is a shame because The AT have a lot to offer.
                But it is not required, you will still have good quality sound with or without the amp, but it just takes it to another level. The mid-frequencies, bass and highs will all be sharper and more defined. Which makes you extract the most out your Audio technicas. Btw you can get a good amp for about 35-45 $, coupled with the 140 of ATH-M50x will cost you around 180 but it's definitely worth every penny. Plus for that kind of quality your are looking at 250-300 price range for stock headphones.
                second this. I also have audiotechnica m50x and I love them. Also have a pair of the previous version the m50s that work great too.

Comment

Some 2 cents. In headphones there is value in money, to a certain point... there are a lot of great headphones in the 100, go to a store and try some. There are brands that do serious research and development in building decent headphones, and shoot for quality, Audiotechnica, AKGs, Sehns, Beyers, Grados, Sony and Phillips to name a few, these people value their brand and will do a decent job for the money, although dirt cheap headphones are crappy in general.
                  Then you'll see the top notch cans, hundreds and hundreds of shiny marketing. Let those cans to rich old people, they will swear that 500 more will give you 500 of listening experience, although with age, they don't even have the hearing of a 16yo, that can grasp the scope of tones those headphone can generate but not the money to buy one. Those are more for bragging rights, like an expensive watch is, to tell time.
                  Choose by flavor, not everybody like an expresso, americans drink the water that pours from my coffee machine when I wash it, and call it coffee(!) and think it's delicious(!!) with 5 spoons of sugar, and they are right!!! In their view, this is good coffee. Headphones are just the same, I'll go with heart and soul for a brand/model that could sound meh to you, so ignore the hype and go for your experience, don't let your ego or wallet do the choosing for your ears, all in all, those are the most personal items to wear for pleasure that you can use out of you body cavities (ok I'm ignoring earphones on purpose).
                  Go to Head-Fi, like someone said before, there are AMAZING info there, a great community, look for the more technical threads and build upon that, there are better engineering and it shows in serious tests, this is what you should be aware, everything else is personal preference and brand merchandising, like Beats, that I've tested in a store with my player, and those do not sound better than my Sony's XB500, that are a lot cheaper for a bassy headphone. I've heard of this model there and it was one of my great buys, lots of fun listening some old music on them, not for all genera, but great for some. Enjoy
                  Last edited by L3v14th4n; July 21, 2016, 09:17 PM.

Comment

I have recently bought a pair of Shure SRH440's. I'm really happy so far. Detailed sound, good noise isolation, comfortable. They have a detachable cable which is handy as the cable is usually the thing that fails.

Comment

Working...
                    X