X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI replaced by network cables?

HDMI could soon be replaced by new cable technology

Would sure be a lot more inexpensive!
    The art of simplicity is a puzzle of complexity.

as long as the technology is better I am all for it these new technology HDBaseT is suppose to be cheaper and offer the capability of 100 meter wires which was my major gripe against HDMI wire the length

Comment

Isn't HDMI only like 8 or 9 years old? I finally save up enough money to get a good receiver with HDMI switching for all the products I have that seem to have HDMI now and it's going to be obsolete? Geez...when's the replacement for Bluray coming out?

Comment

Pretty sure that I am happy about this. I just bought a 50" Panasonic Plasma with HDMI, so that kinda sucks, but I definitely appreciate the idea. Not only will you be able to use a cable that is readily available (most people probably even have spares laying around), this also opens up the options for connectivity. Plugging your Blu-Ray into your TV with HDBaseT will allow you to share video, audio, and internet at the same time without the horrible wireless bandwidth issues we all hate so much and without the clutter of a current wired setup. Imagine the possibilities if they slightly remake NICs... you could theoretically use the same port to get on the internet as you use to patch into your TV ::::

I love the fact that this will finally dissolve the current Monster debate. Imagine the legions of pissed off customers when they find out that the $5 ethernet cable is more diverse than the $150 HDMI cable they were suckered into buying at Best Buy.. Anything to sock it to Noel Lee.

About 10 years or so ago a buddy and I thought about forming a company that interfaced with construction projects to prewire homes for Cat6. We estimated at the time that it would increase market value of the house by about 10%. Imagine the possibilities when this finally comes to pass?

I gotta say, I am shocked at the industry, namely between this and the recent standardization of cell phone cables to Micro-USB. I never in my wildest dreams thought that manufacturers would attempt to start making things easy for us...
        Last edited by Magnolia Fan; July 7, 2010, 11:35 PM.

Comment

always thought HDMI is good and stable enough..looks pretty interesting

Comment

would be nice to be able to prewire network cables and have internet and tv be able to run off both! I have a media extender that works like crap! Network cable running from my HTPC up to my bedroom sure would be nice!

Comment

One of my mates actually showed me this before HDMI has some limitations and is quite expensive . I hope this new connection may become the standard size like usb is for the comp and everything is that size would be far more simplfied and better quality woop

Comment

Originally posted by Magnolia Fan View Post
                ...About 10 years or so ago a buddy and I thought about forming a company that interfaced with construction projects to prewire homes for Cat6. We estimated at the time that it would increase market value of the house by about 10%. Imagine the possibilities when this finally comes to pass?

How did you come up with 10%? Not saying you're wrong; it just seems like a lot!

Comment

Well for consoles hdmi will probably stay, but in terms of blu ray players I could actually prefer network cables. With internet speeds ever faster who needs a physical disc to lug around. Services are going to come in whereby you buy your film and can watch it anywhere in the world via the cloud.

No Idea why the movie industry are still reluctant to do this. One reasons why consumers get files from the internet is because there is no service like this.

Comment

Originally posted by pini3000 View Post
                    Well for consoles hdmi will probably stay, but in terms of blu ray players I could actually prefer network cables. With internet speeds ever faster who needs a physical disc to lug around. Services are going to come in whereby you buy your film and can watch it anywhere in the world via the cloud.

No Idea why the movie industry are still reluctant to do this. One reasons why consumers get files from the internet is because there is no service like this.
                    Netflix and the new Hulu are already adopting this idea. The bandwidth necessary for blu-ray quality movies delivered over the wire is not easily accessible for the majority of people in this world. There are obviously a few countries that are an exception to this rule, but the major markets (i.e. America) have yet to sell connectivity that is sufficient for this sort of stuff...at least on a scale that would make sense from a profitability perspective.

Comment

Wow, new ideas for anything. So this is for the good of technology! hmm. HDMI just came out, and I liked the idea, now we are using internet cables. Hmm, Well, I can say none of my new technologies have this implented, so it would be hard for me. Lol. I dont want to buy new stuff all the time.

sigpic

He's immortal, born from mortal flesh and blood. He lives throught the milleniums, watchin the rise and downfall of the world. Preparations will be made for the day he will walk the Earth. Nobody will escape his wrath, youd wish you'd never been born. Made from the Devil, raised by God. He'll make you shiver, and take care of you at the same time. Don't question his actions, or you will pay greatly. Nobody doubts his minds, 'cuz in the end, he'll end up victoriously. He's everlasting, a true elevated. He is the god-like creature, he will forever be The Exalted.

.....Special Thanks To.....
                      Veritas for repping me in, Bane for FTN, Mman17, Tzp and Badabaing for Signature & Avatar.

.....Thanks To.....
                      JustJenna, DryBones, RiverSide, Studd, Morph, ShadowBuild, GameStuff, TorrentBeast, Enigma78, Josh, Choppers, Darander, Subkar, Majid, AJ. BuckyShort, BridSkid, Sam8cb, Pegasus28, TheLetterZ, Jameo, BogBog,Trevor, Admiral, MrInternet, JamesG, Bugs Bunny & T.I

Comment

One problem I can see is just like USB, the packets will lose strength the longer you run the cable unless you have a repeater. Fiber optics would totally be better.

Comment

It will be good to only use one kind of cable for every connection, at least in my room will help a lot because it's a mess right now.

Luckily for me I never got an hdmi receiver so all I have to do is wait a bit longer for the new technology to be released :p

Comment

Working...
                          X