Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the Atkins Diet?

Has anyone tried the Atkins diet? Today is day 2 and I feel good. No more Mountain Dew or bread basically...

no, but you should try the paleo diet

it's basically caveman diet consisting of vegetables/fruits/meat/nuts

you do however have to eat alot of vegetables to get the same amount of carbohydrates you would normally have consumed if you were eating bread/rice/pasta
    however, by doing so, not only do you get the same amount of carbohydrates, you also get all the nutrition, minerals, vitamins from those vegetables instead of simply eating pasta/rice which are basically fillers with not much nutrients.

your fat comes from handful of nuts and vegetables such as avacados, etc healthy fats

this is pretty much how high level athletes eat for peak performance. olympic level athletes.

if you think about it, humans were hunter gatherers initially. it is only out of convenience and stability of always having food around that we invented farming - so that we will always have food around and not go hungry. but those food are simply there for our convenience, things such as rice, etc can be planted and supply us for a long time insuring the survival of a community.

it keeps you fed, but it's not the most nutritious.... yes mortality rate in the cave man era were probably high, but that's most likely due to lack of medicine, poor living condition, unstable supply of food (since you have to gather and hunt yourself, and seasons play a factor) But things like diabetes, high blood pressure, as well as many other diseases were pretty much the product of our own agriculture system.

a system (food pyramid) in which 80% of what we eat are carbohydrates (bread/pasta/rice)

Comment

Originally posted by zavikkkk View Post
      Has anyone tried the Atkins diet? Today is day 2 and I feel good. No more Mountain Dew or bread basically...
      How much are you planing to lose ?

Comment

I am trying to lose 60 lbs. I want to get fairly trim. So far I've lost 16 lbs and it's still coming off. I've been following it pretty spot on, and it's just getting rid of the bad stuff. Like sugars, carbs.

Comment

I am trying to lose 60 lbs. I want to get fairly trim. So far I've lost 16 lbs and it's still coming off. I've been following it pretty spot on, and it's just getting rid of the bad stuff. Like sugars, carbs.
          Right on -- keep up the good work! Are you doing any cardio too?

Comment

Atkins works, for people that eat a lot of carbs. You still can't completely cut out carbs since those provide energy for your body; but a massive reduction is always healthy. If you start feeling tired or are getting cramps in your legs/arms, supplement with electrolytes (Gatorade/Powerade or a healthier alternative)

Comment

Just be careful which Atkins diet you are on. The earlier versions of the diet have since been debunked as something that isn't really healthy (high protien/fat diet, really guys). When the creator of the diet designed to help reduce heart issues himself dies of a heart attack, I cannot help but wonder if his advice led himself to this end. It's a position that the American Heart association doesn't agree with, but I cannot help but wonder.

There are benefits to reducing the carb intake, especially if you're not using all the energy you're already eating.

Comment

permanent changes to the body come from permanent changes to your diet and lifestyle.. NOT so called 'diets'...

i.e change your 'diet' permanently and couple that with a permanent lifestyle change (i.e adequate amounts of exercise etc.) and reap rewards that stay for life....

Comment

Originally posted by nertplor View Post
                  permanent changes to the body come from permanent changes to your diet and lifestyle.. NOT so called 'diets'...

i.e change your 'diet' permanently and couple that with a permanent lifestyle change (i.e adequate amounts of exercise etc.) and reap rewards that stay for life....
                  Spot on nertplor. I think atkins is a farce. South beach is a little better but in either case it's important to remember that you have to make a lifestyle change, not go on a "diet" until you hit your target weight. If you hit your goal then go back to your old habits the weight will come back faster then it left.

check out summertomato.com I think she has the right idea about eating.

P.S. Not trying to be negative, I just have very little faith in "diets"

Comment

There is a true and tested way to loose weight and its really simple. Eat less and exercise more, if you expend more calories than you consume you will loose weight. I'm getting really tired of people thinking that there is some magical diet that will make you thinner, like everything you have to work for it.

The atkins diet is the same as every other diet, you eat less calories than you normally do and because of this you loose weight. You could have an exact similar diet with carbs and get the same results if you eat the same amount of kcal. Now you may be getting thinner but will you get healthier ? Isn't that really the goal? To look good and to feel good. If you are slim but feel like shit it isn't really worth it. If you exercise and watch what you put in you'r body you will feel better and function better.

Here is a good documentary about the atkins diet, really interesting stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iABVTrxt-bs

Edit: Oh and one more thing, it's really good to eat lots of meat because thats really good for your arteries and heart, any doctor would recommend that . /S
                    Last edited by ramblergambler; September 11, 2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I haven't done "atkins" exactly, but have followed several "keto" or "ketosis" routines. It is basically the same idea as atkins but with more flexibility and you figure it out/do all the research yourself. I generally lose 35-50lbs in a 5-6 week period. Obviously not all of this weight loss is retained as some is loss of water weight, and also because the body will "bounce back" to a certain degree after any type of "diet". It is however fair to say that losing 10-30lbs in a 5-6week period is possible and quite easy(this will vary from person to person, girls generally get the worst results).
                      Most people will say diets don't work and lifestyle changes are the only way which is true for the most part. The thing is keto isn't really just a "diet" it changes the whole foundation of how your body deals with energy, utilizing fat for energy instead of carbs.
                      People get really scared when you eliminate carbs and say things like "the brain can't function" and basically say you will die, but in ketosis only a minimal amount of carbs are needed, although most won't stay on ketosis permanently I have never heard of any severe effects of going on it especially not short-term. Ketosis goes back to the cave man era, where sometimes the human body could go months without carbs, living off only fats and proteins depending on the environment.

There is a lot of ignorance surrounding ketosis, and it is not worth my time to sit here and argue about it, but if you want to get your facts straight check out this thread:
                      http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=132598293
                      This whole forum section is an awesome resource, includes a section for recipes and any info you would ever need to know:
                      http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

All I know is my results are always amazing, and it is the best way for me to drop some pounds after a few months of bulking.

Comment

No, I've never tried that before. I suppose that it would be a good variant for me because I'm fat. I have some issues with searching for a match for me. I will use this diet and after that, I will use https://www.sexyblackpeople.com dating website for black people, I think

Comment

Working...
                        X