Organ Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ Donation

Organ donation do you support it? does your country have an active campaign?

I have recently completed a session on organ donation for my work and was just curious as to what the TI community thought about it ? have you thought about it at all?
    I am certainly pro organ donation and would much like for the opt out policy to come into Australia. In my line of work i see wasted opportunity all the time and would for sure like more organs to be available to those in need.

So if you could express your opinions and what country you are from it would great, as i would like to see straight from the people rather than what we read from the media and the information provided in a seminar what people think about it. Have you been closely involved in the process, do you know of others who have? If not do you have an opinion regarding this sensitive topic. I personally do not think it should be such a "taboo" topic, i have broached this subject many time in my family and have no concerns/dilemmas bringing it though i do know many people do not talk about it even though it is such an important and vital issue in health care.

Now i hand it over to you...

MTeam

I actually wrote a 12 page research paper on this topic. I'm from USA and we do have organ shortages. Also, we don't presume consent. Based on my research, the only practical way to yield more cadaverous organs (i.e. not kidneys) is to change how people perceive donation. One way to change this perception seems to be - based on my research - presumed consent. Some day I would like to donate one of my kidneys to a stranger (while i'm living).

Comment

ah cool...when did u write your paper? is it current?

Comment

Originally posted by MTeam View Post
        ah cool...when did u write your paper? is it current?
        I wrote it last semester. It looked at means of increasing cadaveric organ supply. I mostly got my research from a book called "Last Best Gifts" and a few journal articles. I basically concluded that paying people, etc. for organs (besides kidneys) won't work because doctors will only take them from bodies if the family is okay with it (even if they're told to take them without family consent) - and grieving families generally won't to respond positively to overt economic incentives because responding appropriately and coping with the recent death would be of higher priority for them. The best hope seems to lie in improving funding and procedures at hospitals and organ procurement centers and by continuing to push donation on the public as a good thing.

Comment

I am a registered organ donor, should something ever happen to me, they can take anything they want. I feel if someone is deceased consent should not be required. Why let people die when there are perfectly good organs going to waste because someone was too lazy to fill out a form. They're dead.. they don't care that their organs are gone. Lots of people have told me that I am wrong, but hey that's just my opinion, and on this issue, my opinion just happens to be right haha. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Exade View Post
            I am a registered organ donor, should something ever happen to me, they can take anything they want. I feel if someone is deceased consent should not be required. Why let people die when there are perfectly good organs going to waste because someone was too lazy to fill out a form. They're dead.. they don't care that their organs are gone. Lots of people have told me that I am wrong, but hey that's just my opinion, and on this issue, my opinion just happens to be right haha. ;)
            It may very well be. But are you a doctor? I think some combination of medical school, the kind of person who becomes a doc., and the emotions of having a patient die separates them from you. err. unless you are a doctor, then just ignore my point here.

Comment

There are plenty of valid reasons for not wanting to donate an organ, religion being a large part of it. Jews aren't allowed to alter their bodies and doing so would prevent them from being able to be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

I've also read in various articles, and it was confirmed in a health care ethics class of mine, that in some hospitals, if they find that you are an organ donor they don't try to rescue your life with maximum effort. This can occur for various reasons, such as them not wanting to ruin organs with drugs that they would be pumping into you, or simply because they see that one person dying could potentially help several others in the hospital.

I for one choose not to be an organ donor simply because I want to keep my body whole. Not sure why, but that's just the way I think. That and I'm slightly worried about what I mentioned in the above paragraph.For reference, I'm a student in the US in the process of applying for medical school.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyguy View Post
                There are plenty of valid reasons for not wanting to donate an organ, religion being a large part of it. Jews aren't allowed to alter their bodies and doing so would prevent them from being able to be buried in a Jewish cemetery.

I've also read in various articles, and it was confirmed in a health care ethics class of mine, that in some hospitals, if they find that you are an organ donor they don't try to rescue your life with maximum effort. This can occur for various reasons, such as them not wanting to ruin organs with drugs that they would be pumping into you, or simply because they see that one person dying could potentially help several others in the hospital.

I for one choose not to be an organ donor simply because I want to keep my body whole.
                Not sure why, but that's just the way I think. That and I'm slightly worried about what I mentioned in the above paragraph.For reference, I'm a student in the US in the process of applying for medical school.
                What if your child was sick and needed an organ transplant to survive? Would you understand if there was an organ available but the person did not want to donate for personal or religious reasons, which meant your child would die? I can honestly say I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Luckyguy

I for one choose not to be an organ donor simply because I want to keep my body whole. Not sure why, but that's just the way I think. That and I'm slightly worried about what I mentioned in the above paragraph.For reference, I'm a student in the US in the process of applying for medical school.
                  Actually Jewish people are able to and do donate organs, they are even encouraged. There are special procedures in place for their last offices which must be carried out, but that is all.

Not putting in maximum effort I highly disagree I have been involved in countless resus were the team has put everything into it to save the patient even knowing that they are organ donors. The final decision regardless of what the patient has requested lies with the family. Well inAustralia. So I don't think that is accurate that we don't help those in need, we dour best till the end. If it doesn't sit with the family it won't go ahead period.

Good luck with your future medical career, I hope you maybe change your mind regarding organ donation one day.

Comment

I was unaware of them bring able to donate them. I was always told that modification of the body in any way is prohibited and some don't even pierce their ears.

Of course I didn't mean that they don't put in maximum effort all the time, however there have been cases where that was suspected. I know many places don't even check if you're an organ donor until after you die. My EMT teacher taught us to not even bother to check if someone is an organ donor and that even if you do find out, not to notify the hospital since sometimes the medical control will recommend a different intervention then what would normally be given.

Don't get me wrong though, if I were ever in the situation where someone in my family needed an organ and I was a match, I'd do it. I just feel like I'd rather keep my organs to myself. But right now, I'm still young and maybe in the next several years my mind will change.

Comment

Working...
                    X