Any powerlifters or weight lifters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any powerlifters or weight lifters?

I recently started attempting to turn my excess(ive) body fat in to muscle and through my research I found that power lifting was the best way to go, been doing it for 3 months, and the changes are staggering, I haven't exactly toned up, my my muscle mass has increased significantly.

What is everyone preference for a workout? I like to have 3 days lifting and one day of cardio, but always try to have a 15 minute treadmill sesh every day.

Not sure if we're classified under Powerlifting/Weightlifting, but I do CrossFit. We focus mainly on Olympic lifts: Cleans, Snatches, Deadlifts, etc. I generally go 3 to 4 times a week and have been doing it for 4 months. I have also seen tremendous results, not in the sense of muscle mass, but in body composition. I have developed muscles I never knew I had. Love it!
    sigpic
    Giveaways
    10% 10% 33% Bonuses Misc

Comment

Crossfit has its place. Im a fan of the oly lifts so anything that encourages ppl to them is a good thing.

Its just those kipping\swinging\cheating pullpus I cant get......

Comment

Originally posted by G5T View Post
        Crossfit has its place. Im a fan of the oly lifts so anything that encourages ppl to them is a good thing.

Its just those kipping\swinging\cheating pullpus I cant get......
        Kipping and butterfly pull ups are actually pretty tough to do. The timing screws everything up for me. I'm actually pretty small so I'm able to strict pull ups much easier. There are exercises that call for strict pull ups, but when they don't specify, a lot of people find it easier to do kips.

People also mention the ugly burpees that CrossFitters do. Just like the pull ups, there are exercises that call for the perfect form, 6 count burpees. But, again, if they don't specify, we're doing ugly ass "flopees."

The exercises are programmed to get you're body to do a certain amount of work. They use some formula to calculate the power output and length of time. Though they let us do ugly moves at times, it is the fact that you're getting your body moving and doing "work" that counts.

Before I started CrossFit, I never really paid much attention to lifting and it's techniques. However, ever since, I've noticed how much lifting is incorporated into other things. Cirque Du Soleil passed by not too long ago. Normally, on the Russian Beams act, I would be focused on the gymnasts doing the flips. But, since CrossFit, I focused on the power lifters carrying the beams and doing perfect squats while moving around to catch the gymnasts. I never thought those techniques would be that hard, but they are!
        sigpic
        Giveaways
        10% 10% 33% Bonuses Misc

Comment

I'm a powerlifter. I lift 3x per week, do karate twice a week (one really light and easy beginner's class, and one more serious class with a lot of conditioning work), and judo once per week. I cherish my days off :) If there's a meet coming up I sometimes drop one of the martial arts sessions to get a bit extra rest in.

I started my weight lifting career with Starting Strength (a beginner's program by Mark Rippetoe - I highly recommend it, google for the book and the Starting Strength website), these days I do a modified version of a programme called Madcows.

I love the big three (Squat, Bench, Deadlift), and I think that they're something that anyone can benefit from, as long as you do them carefully. My advice to a newbie would be to start with really really light weights (even just the bar), that feel like they're no effort at all. Focus on learning the form until it's PERFECT and then add a bit of weight each workout until you hit the stage where the first few reps are good, but form suffers on the last couple. Don't ever bench without a spotter (I've had my arms die on me when my spotter was there, but distracted, and having a weight crushing your chest is a scary experience).

Best of luck with your training!

Comment

i work out everyday but not as hard as most people, and then when my dad comes back from work we do some weightlifting. when i do it with him i work out hard as i can but we only do this 3 times a week we do it for about 1-2h and only 2 body parts each time

Comment

I love powerlifting and bodybuilding! Personally, I have a sick obsession with dead lifting tons of weight! My current goal is getting into that 1000lb. club in terms of the big three.

Currently I'm 185 and lifting

345/295/225 DL/SQ/BP

Does anyone have any tips or specific exercises that might help strengthen these compound movements or have worked for them?

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaCam View Post
                I love powerlifting and bodybuilding! Personally, I have a sick obsession with dead lifting tons of weight! My current goal is getting into that 1000lb. club in terms of the big three.

Currently I'm 185 and lifting

345/295/225 DL/SQ/BP

Does anyone have any tips or specific exercises that might help strengthen these compound movements or have worked for them?
                Nice!

I'm pretty weaksauce. I'm 145 lbs and my 1 rep max are:

Deadlift: 325 lbs
                Squat : 275 lbs
                Clean: 165 lbs
                Snatch: 85 lbs (never did 1 rep max)
                Shoulder Press: 135 lbs
                Bench Press: 155 lbs

My size is the biggest thing stopping me from doing prescribed weights at CrossFit, but I have hope! If Chris Spealler can do it, so can I!
                sigpic
                Giveaways
                10% 10% 33% Bonuses Misc

Comment

I mix up my weight training with my martials arts training...gets a bit complicated with my shift work but I usually train weight 3-4 times a week and do Bjj 3 times a week...I found since I have joined a 24/HR gym it's allot easier to get there no more excuses..I train either mid morning or late a night after 9pm I found r the most quitest times and really are the only times I can make it to the gym

I train my body part together...chest/tris...back/bis.....legs...shoulders..I found this way I get more out of my training it's fun and time efficient...
                  I have no real set day for cardio I leave that up to my martial arts class for that....I never find cardio fun well not in the beginning after I've done it for 2 or so weeks I find it fun but yeah...getting back into cardio after time off is a killer

Comment

I lift weights at the gym 4 times a week and go boxing 2 times week

Comment

Thing is, excess fat doesn't just become muscle through exercise. You need to change your diet up too. Also, you can only lose fat or build muscle but doing both at the same time takes incredible determination, good genetics, and a well planned lean gains diet plan. Or else you're either cutting or bulking like everyone else. Also, it doesn't matter how long you do cardio, just matters at what intensity you do it at.

I lift 5x a week and get a few hours of cardio in on the weekends.

Comment

I weightlift for general fitness 3-4 times a week and i've only just started increasing my cardio again gotta up the levels to stay in shape.

Comment

I tend to get about 4 hours of running in a week(4-5 mile runs, intervals sprints, and stadium stairs) and about 10 hours of weightlifting which tends to focus on bodybuilding style lifts. If you are starting out or trying to use it to lose weight please stick with lower weights, high reps with high intensity. You will not lose body fat effectively by powerlifting.

Comment

Originally posted by Moexyz View Post
                            Thing is, excess fat doesn't just become muscle through exercise. You need to change your diet up too. Also, you can only lose fat or build muscle but doing both at the same time takes incredible determination, good genetics, and a well planned lean gains diet plan. Or else you're either cutting or bulking like everyone else. Also, it doesn't matter how long you do cardio, just matters at what intensity you do it at.

I lift 5x a week and get a few hours of cardio in on the weekends.
                            +1 to this. Your best bet is to deal with your fat first through cardio, I would suggest cycling or the elliptical. If you're not used to running and have a little extra weight, it'll put undue stress on your knees and shins and you'll probably end up with shin splints. Once you've got the fat under control, then you can move to weights in order to build up muscle. The reason for separating it is during the cardio phase, you're going to need to cut down your diet and eat 500 less calories than required to maintain weight (look up RMR and BMR). Cardio can eat away at your muscle mass as the type 2 fibers, which give size and explosive force, are unused and sacrificed for the development of type 1 fibers which are more efficient at using oxygen and prolonged use, which is what cardio is.

In order to build muscles you need to be eating a good diet, unless you're body building you don't need to be eating masses of calories, but cutting back on your calories will make for slow progress. This is why you want to do one at a time to get in shape. Once you're in shape, it's easy to find a balance between the two. All you do is eat a proper diet while lifting weights and doing a moderate amount of cardio to maintain fitness levels and keep the fat off.

Comment

I'm with dysrhythmic, I do crossfit... and dabble in PowerLifting as well.. and they're great to do together. CrossFit helps you establish a discipline with your form... and the strength gains you get from CrossFit translate over to PowerLifting.

If you're looking to get stronger.. follow a strength heavy crossfit program like StrengthWOD.com or something of that nature.

Also like people have mentioned above.. follow a good diet. A great baseline diet is Paleo.. or Zone/Paleo for performance. Helps you create a baseline of acceptable foods to eat while trying to preform at higher levels.

Comment

Working...
                              X