potatoes au gratin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes au gratin.

super easy and a nice way to eat your potatoes!
    ingredients:
    1 onion, chopped
    2 -3 potatos sliced
    1/2 cup vegan margarine
    1/2 cup flour
    3 1/2 cups boiling water
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    a pinch of tumeric
    1/4 cup oil
    1 cup nutritional yeast
    paprika

instructions:
    1.) Pre-heat oven to 350F

2.) Put potatoes and onion in pot of water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

3.) In a saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Beat in flour with a wisk, continue to beat over medium flame until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Whip in boiling water, salt, soy sauce, garlic powder, and tumeric. Beat well to dissolve the flour mixture. The sauce should cook untill it thickens and bubbles. Whip in oil and nutritional yeast.

4.) In a casserole dish put a layer of potatoes/onions. Spread cheese sauce on potatoes/onions. Add another layer, add more cheese, repeat 'till you are out of potatoes/onions and cheese. Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for 5 more minutes.

Re: potatoes au gratin.

Sounds delicious.

Here's my method. Like most au gratins, this is by no means a healthy dish.

01.) Turn on broiler [or oven to 450F]
    02.) Scrub dirt off potatoes & boil them until cooked through. Once cooked, allow potatoes to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
    03.) Heat canola oil in saucepan over medium-high flame until very hot but not smoking.
    04.) Add 1 onion, diced into 1/4" pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is starting to brown.
    05.) Adjust flame to medium & add 1 teaspoon minced Garlic, 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper, & 1/2 tsp Curry powder. Cook for 30 seconds, stirring continuously so as to avoid burning.
    06.) Add 1/2 cup warm Chicken Base and stir vigorously, dislodging any flavorful bits from the pan.
    07.) Melt a half stick of cold butter in the pan, still over medium heat, while stirring continuously.
    08.) Slowly add 1/4 cup Flour to the pan, stirring all the while to prevent clumping. Before long, the sauce will begin to thicken. When it does, remove from heat.
    09.) Off heat, add 1 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese & 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan and stir well until fully melted into the sauce. Transfer to ice bath & cool for ten minutes.
    10.) With a knife or spoon, peel the cooked potatoes.
    11.) Holding the potato vertically, Slice into 1/4" pieces with a knife or mandolin.
    12.) Pour half of the cheese sauce into a casserole dish, then layer potato pieces on top, shingling them to keep from blocking off the lower cheese sauce layer. Pour remaining cheese sauce over the top of the potato slices.
    13.) In mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese, 1/2 cup Havarti cheese, 1/8 cup shaved Parmesan, & 1/8 cup grated Parmesan. Spread over the top of the casserole.
    14.) Place casserole dish in oven until fully melted and starting to brown around the edges. Remove, let sit for five minutes, then serve.

Comment

Re: potatoes au gratin.

DANG STUWRECKLUSE, THANKS! I can't wait to try it your way, i like potatoes au gratin so much, and your recipe is loaded with all the good stuff! The recipe i use I realize now is very vegan haha... not for me but for another member of the family. I can't wait to try out your potatoes for myself here. maybe they arent the healthiest but they sound DELICIOUS! I like the spices you put in like the cayenne and curry, and all the additional cheese must be GREAT! :D The prep methods seems thoroughly tested out and tweaked too :D will try it out soon. Thanks again, man! :D

Comment

Working...
      X