Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 Seriously

Windows 8

A roadmap timeline slide shown by Microsoft at the 2009 Professional Developers Conference shows that code name "Windows 8" is scheduled to be released sometime around 2012. Development and other aspects of Windows 8 have not been detailed in public, although job listings have mentioned improved functionality for file access in branch offices. A recently-departed Microsoft employee's blog has revealed a rough version of Microsoft's roadmap for key software, including Windows 8. According to the information, Microsoft aims for Windows 8 support to start on July 1, 2011. Support for Windows Server 2012 starts on July 2, 2012. A Microsoft KB article confirmed that Windows 8 is the next version of Windows.[15] The article has now been changed to remove references to Windows 8.

Reference: History of Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: Windows 8 Plans Leaked: Numerous Details Revealed

some serious details about windows 8
    Last edited by Black; June 30, 2010, 07:16 AM.

Makes sense, Microsoft wants to sell more operating systems to make more money. XP was around way longer then it should have been. But it's because no one really complained about it and it worked great.

Apple releases a new OS every year and charges their customers money for their OS as well. Mac users don't seem to care even though there's nothing wrong with the one they were using, and the newer version usually has very new features compared to the last one.

Comment

Originally posted by Black View Post
      Windows 8

A roadmap timeline slide shown by Microsoft at the 2009 Professional Developers Conference shows that code name "Windows 8" is scheduled to be released sometime around 2012. Development and other aspects of Windows 8 have not been detailed in public, although job listings have mentioned improved functionality for file access in branch offices. A recently-departed Microsoft employee's blog has revealed a rough version of Microsoft's roadmap for key software, including Windows 8. According to the information, Microsoft aims for Windows 8 support to start on July 1, 2011. Support for Windows Server 2012 starts on July 2, 2012. A Microsoft KB article confirmed that Windows 8 is the next version of Windows.[15] The article has now been changed to remove references to Windows 8.

Reference: History of Microsoft Windows - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Interesting article. I'm pretty happy with windows 7 so unless they really "WOW" me i don't think i would make that switch...

Also checked to see if the window8.com domain was available but its already taken . Would be nice to own that domain should it be named that. I'm sure they would pay a pretty penny for it.

Comment

Hmm thats true, windows 7 is beast. Not really interested in moving to that unless theres some major benefits.
        sigpic
        Thank you Vector King for repping me in!
        Thank you DocDoom for this awesome signature, and avatar.

My giveaways:
        HFU GA|DH | IPT | TL

Comment

Windows 7 will be 4 year old by then so it is quite reasonable MS wants to push a newer version out. I am a little puzzled by what new "essential" feature will be in it. For me Windows XP still works nicely and although I have Windows 7 in my laoptop, I have no intention to upgrade my desktop any time soon.

Comment

i don't belive this...win8 is not exist and it won't...that's my opinion...xp and win7 rules...

Comment

I'll upgrade, but it's going to be the same way I upgraded this PC. And I don't plan on paying $200 for a copy either, Microsoft is ridiculous with pricing.
              http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/6045/69345.gif
              Much love to for http://www.torrent-invites.com/star.jpgkevodgg for repping me in!!!!
              Insanely large thanks to Mman17 for the sig!

Current Giveaways
              LAZX6RRider's New Big Funtasticle Giveaway!!

Comment

Originally posted by wheel View Post
                i don't belive this...win8 is not exist and it won't...that's my opinion...xp and win7 rules...
                This is a joke correct?

Why wouldn't it exist? Why would Microsoft not want to add features to an Operating System and make more money?

I'd really like to see the major push to 64bit OS only soon though. I was hoping that Windows 7 was going to be that.

It seems as if Microsoft releases one crappy OS, then a good one improved from the old one.

Windows 95 - Crappy
                Windows 98 - Awesome
                Windows ME - Crappy
                Windows XP - Awesome
                Windows Vista - Crappy (Most people seem to think)
                Windows 7 - Awesome

You see what Microsoft does is smart. The release one OS to get people used to something, then improve on it greatly and everyone will think the next OS is amazing!

Hopefully Windows 8 will make everything 64 Bit, then get people used to it, then Windows 9 will be 64 Bit only and be awesome once again.

but to me I had no issues with Vista, people need to remember that you can't take a 5 year old computer and throw a new OS on it and think it's going to run great, because well it's not...

Comment

this doesn't seem like very suprising news. Obviously windows is going to be coming out with a new operating system in a couple years. The real excitment would be finding out which NT version and file system they are going to use.

For example you see a big jump from windows 95, 98 and ME to windows 2000 and XP becuase 95, 98 and ME were NT version 4 and 2000 and XP is NT version 5. Vista was a big change from 2000 and xp when they updated to NT version 6. Windows 7 looks similar to vista and has many of the same folder setups and customization options as it becuase it is also NT version 6.

If this Windows 8 is another NT version 6, it will just be an updated windows 7. If however it is an NT version 7, this would be really exciting because it would be a completely updated kernel and would be a more "revolutionary" version of windows.

Comment

Wow, I didn't even upgrade to windows 7 yet. I would upgrade to windows 7 when I reformat my harddrive. I think windows 7 is going to be the best out their, and will upgrade soon. But, windows 8 seriously, dang thats vast. Could be broken, becuase windows is a fresh code, if I read that correctly!

sigpic

He's immortal, born from mortal flesh and blood. He lives throught the milleniums, watchin the rise and downfall of the world. Preparations will be made for the day he will walk the Earth. Nobody will escape his wrath, youd wish you'd never been born. Made from the Devil, raised by God. He'll make you shiver, and take care of you at the same time. Don't question his actions, or you will pay greatly. Nobody doubts his minds, 'cuz in the end, he'll end up victoriously. He's everlasting, a true elevated. He is the god-like creature, he will forever be The Exalted.

.....Special Thanks To.....
                    Veritas for repping me in, Bane for FTN, Mman17, Tzp and Badabaing for Signature & Avatar.

.....Thanks To.....
                    JustJenna, DryBones, RiverSide, Studd, Morph, ShadowBuild, GameStuff, TorrentBeast, Enigma78, Josh, Choppers, Darander, Subkar, Majid, AJ. BuckyShort, BridSkid, Sam8cb, Pegasus28, TheLetterZ, Jameo, BogBog,Trevor, Admiral, MrInternet, JamesG, Bugs Bunny & T.I

Comment

Originally posted by Cereal View Post
                      I'd really like to see the major push to 64bit OS only soon though. I was hoping that Windows 7 was going to be that.

It seems as if Microsoft releases one crappy OS, then a good one improved from the old one.

Windows 95 - Crappy
                      Windows 98 - Awesome
                      Windows ME - Crappy
                      Windows XP - Awesome
                      Windows Vista - Crappy (Most people seem to think)
                      Windows 7 - Awesome

Hopefully Windows 8 will make everything 64 Bit, then get people used to it, then Windows 9 will be 64 Bit only and be awesome once again.
                      100% agree

Comment

Interesting read, windows 7 is the best OS i've ever used though, it'll take some beating.

Comment

I will wait for Windows 8 whether it's upgraded version of Windows 7 or not...

Comment

Geez, and I'm still using WinXP Pro too and have zero issues or complaints about it. From what I read about Vista and know people who had major problems with it, I wouldn't touch it. While Windows 7 is better, I still hear about enough problems running current apps and games with it to make me still stick with my good ol' WinXP until there's a really good reason to upgrade. Like a decent speed increase, compatibility with then current programs I'm using, etc.

Comment

windows 7 is pretty good with backward compatibility as it allows us to operate the programs in windows 98, windows xp, windows vista etc compatibility mode, if my program won't run on 7 i tried compatibility mode, and worked fine, and my almost 6 years old computer is running it fine enough, so what else i want

as far as windows 8 goes i think that'd be crappy as it's Microsoft's tradition to make some crappy OS after and awesome one. then boom an awesome one again

Comment

Working...
                              X