Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geraldo
    replied
    I really like sites related to technology reviews, but lately there are fewer and fewer quality sites. For example, when I was just starting to read such sites, there was a lot of information of interest to me, and now there are more and more economic reviews of companies. I found a very cool site Techeye.net that has more tech reviews.

Leave a comment:

• Cometime
    replied
    Originally posted by Lavender View Post
    GUI definitely is a much more handy thing but in some cases and for some people even GUI can be too complicated. I once tried to create a wordpress website myself and it turned out to be much harder than I expected even though this CMS is rather simple compared to some other ones. So I just decided to hire. Maybe I should have figured things out to be able to create such websites further but I think that website development services are rather cheap these days so there is no point.
    Modern websites are really difficult and even if you will use CMS, you will need a lot of skills and experience to create website with amazing design and all necessary features. I agree that hiring professional developers is very good idea. In such case you will save a lot of time for other important things. Just navigate to this site and check all modern services and technologies.

Leave a comment:

• Lavender
    replied
    GUI definitely is a much more handy thing but in some cases and for some people even GUI can be too complicated. I once tried to create a wordpress website myself and it turned out to be much harder than I expected even though this CMS is rather simple compared to some other ones. So I just decided to hire http://saprit.co.uk/services/website-development/ . Maybe I should have figured things out to be able to create such websites further but I think that website development services are rather cheap these days so there is no point.

Leave a comment:

• sam19113
    replied
    komodo rocks, what can i say..

Leave a comment:

• bigman755
    replied
    I used to code by hand, but as the technologies have changed (CSS, javascript, XML, PHP, etc) I find that using dreamweaver is great for doing the bulk of the code. I would still use code for writing custom scripts and other pieces, but as far as design goes, its so much easier to let dreamweaver do it. I mean, how many times do you have to write < table > < tr > and < td > before you get annoyed. One simple click and its all done for you.

Leave a comment:

• Mugthar
    replied
    I couldn't even begin to imagine using dreamweaver to code one of my sites, or any apps like it. You can never get it to do EXACTLY what you want, it often ends up making work. And it doesn't really help when your doing scripts in php or JS or ruby does it? Since most of the sites I build rely on AJAX to create dynamic menu's, direct coding in HTML has almost become obsolete for me. I rarely use it nowadays, and even when I do to set up the layout of a site or see what a menu might look like, I wouldn't even BEGIN to consider using dreamweaver. It's too constricted, doesn't allow for many custom designs in your pages, hand coding your pages is alot easier then fiddling around with a bunch of buttons. Straight code is just better all around to me, less constraints, more customizations, less time consuming.

Leave a comment:

• adenai
    replied
    I'd risk a statement that you're not (entirely) right, DarkManXJS - after 11 years in the business I can't really imagine relying on WYSIWYG. It just messes up everything, no matter how good it is and it never does stuff YOUR way. Sooner or later you'll end up correcting it all manually. Unless you build some template sites with not really original graphics one after another day by day and you don't really care (that's pretty common when one works for an agency rather than for himself). In my case the work is always very custom and needs to be scratched from zero with close attention to details. So the great paradox is that it's much faster to type each character on my own than it would take to use the built-in automatic methods. Especially there's no support for mootools, etc. and you still need to type a lot and implement things (which needs you to know the enviroment which you don't know if you didn't code it). I used WYSIWYG in Front Page 98 when I was 13-15 y/o last time.
    Last edited by adenai; March 27, 2009, 08:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DarkManXJS
    replied
    I think you get a better understanding of website development by learning the code before you move on to dreamweaver. It's like in math class, you always have to learn the hard way before they tell you that there's a way to do it that is completely hassle free. Sure you're mad that you didn't have access to the easy way earlier, but now you understand how the easy way does what it does.

By using the code instead of a GUI environment, you get a closer attachment and better understanding of what the code is doing.

Leave a comment:

• adenai
    replied
    Been using Dreamweaver since v3, but really don't know why. I don't use its WYSIWYG interface at all - all I really use is colored code, code autocompleter, tabbed navigation (nicely upgraded now) and ftp support since CS4. That's all. I guess any other like CODA would do. I'm just used to DW.

Leave a comment:

• strikehost
    replied
    Code!!

I don't like the GUI stuff because it isnt as flexible when it comes to customizing your site the way you want it.

I prefer typing everything by hand

Leave a comment:

• CentOS
    replied
    I use notepad2 for all my php.

Leave a comment:

• rock$t@r
    replied
    i think you have to start without dreamweaver or anything else..because this often is the only way you learn how to write clean code..later you always can use dreamweaver..but i dont use the gui view in dreamweaver..still uses the code view..a lot of things now go faster then in editor.. :-D

i'm a fan of handcoded things..plus you need knowledge of the code if you go on with php for example...its hard to use php if you always "coded" in gui style..

Leave a comment:

• monkman
    replied
    if you're leet you do code. if you're normal, you do GUI :)

Leave a comment:

• GameOn
    replied
    You are probably on the right path as a beginner. For what you are doing, you can bring together what you are learning to create the type of site you talk about.

However, later, you may wanna use a blog as a base as they offer creating what you want without using as much code, and have much of the leg work taken care of for you, therefore your code can be better placed on the more funky features of the presentation.

And if you really like webby stuff, try a CMS, a lot more work to begin with, but a lot of flexibility once you get your head around them.

Now, the OP asked about code or GUI, IMO, if you can harness both then you have the best of both worlds, i dont use DW that much, i too prefer code. The statement that "coding html is pointless" is too optimistic and comes from a person that should know better ;)
    Last edited by GameOn; February 9, 2009, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Birthdayparty
    replied
    Originally posted by SunSpyda View Post
    What kind of project? :001_smile:
    Do you mean the subject of the website? It will be about Lost, the TV-show, and I have all sorts of ideas for what I want to do. I thought of throwing in a trailer, some sounds, pictures and buttons. Well, that sounds like any other website, but I am just starting out, so do not blame me for not being original.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X