No announcement yet.

Websites - Code vs GUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd risk a statement that you're not (entirely) right, DarkManXJS - after 11 years in the business I can't really imagine relying on WYSIWYG. It just messes up everything, no matter how good it is and it never does stuff YOUR way. Sooner or later you'll end up correcting it all manually. Unless you build some template sites with not really original graphics one after another day by day and you don't really care (that's pretty common when one works for an agency rather than for himself). In my case the work is always very custom and needs to be scratched from zero with close attention to details. So the great paradox is that it's much faster to type each character on my own than it would take to use the built-in automatic methods. Especially there's no support for mootools, etc. and you still need to type a lot and implement things (which needs you to know the enviroment which you don't know if you didn't code it). I used WYSIWYG in Front Page 98 when I was 13-15 y/o last time.
    Last edited by adenai; March 27, 2009, 08:53 PM.

Comment

I couldn't even begin to imagine using dreamweaver to code one of my sites, or any apps like it. You can never get it to do EXACTLY what you want, it often ends up making work. And it doesn't really help when your doing scripts in php or JS or ruby does it? Since most of the sites I build rely on AJAX to create dynamic menu's, direct coding in HTML has almost become obsolete for me. I rarely use it nowadays, and even when I do to set up the layout of a site or see what a menu might look like, I wouldn't even BEGIN to consider using dreamweaver. It's too constricted, doesn't allow for many custom designs in your pages, hand coding your pages is alot easier then fiddling around with a bunch of buttons. Straight code is just better all around to me, less constraints, more customizations, less time consuming.

Comment

I used to code by hand, but as the technologies have changed (CSS, javascript, XML, PHP, etc) I find that using dreamweaver is great for doing the bulk of the code. I would still use code for writing custom scripts and other pieces, but as far as design goes, its so much easier to let dreamweaver do it. I mean, how many times do you have to write < table > < tr > and < td > before you get annoyed. One simple click and its all done for you.

Comment

komodo rocks, what can i say..

Comment

GUI definitely is a much more handy thing but in some cases and for some people even GUI can be too complicated. I once tried to create a wordpress website myself and it turned out to be much harder than I expected even though this CMS is rather simple compared to some other ones. So I just decided to hire http://saprit.co.uk/services/website-development/ . Maybe I should have figured things out to be able to create such websites further but I think that website development services are rather cheap these days so there is no point.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavender View Post
              GUI definitely is a much more handy thing but in some cases and for some people even GUI can be too complicated. I once tried to create a wordpress website myself and it turned out to be much harder than I expected even though this CMS is rather simple compared to some other ones. So I just decided to hire. Maybe I should have figured things out to be able to create such websites further but I think that website development services are rather cheap these days so there is no point.
              Modern websites are really difficult and even if you will use CMS, you will need a lot of skills and experience to create website with amazing design and all necessary features. I agree that hiring professional developers is very good idea. In such case you will save a lot of time for other important things. Just navigate to this site and check all modern services and technologies.

Comment

I really like sites related to technology reviews, but lately there are fewer and fewer quality sites. For example, when I was just starting to read such sites, there was a lot of information of interest to me, and now there are more and more economic reviews of companies. I found a very cool site Techeye.net that has more tech reviews.

Comment

Working...
                X