No announcement yet.

Websites - Code vs GUI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by XodiousX; December 10, 2008, 04:24 AM.

Comment

I just started using dreamweaver the other day and my god it makes creating websites easy, I'm familiar enough with html to code/type it but dreamweaver is more fun to use :D

Are there any good text editors for windows btw?
      No notepad plz, I dunno how I was able to code html and php with it a few years ago but my eyes hurt like hell after updating a few pages.
      Last edited by Ureshii; November 2, 2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Last edited by XodiousX; December 10, 2008, 04:24 AM.

Comment

I am with you.
          I also prefer notepad for coding.

Comment

I use Notepad++ (I like the code coloring and block separation), and sometimes Dreamweaver (not for the WYSIWYG thingie, but the suggestion boxes that pop up when you type somethin can be extremely helpful).
            Currently looking for: F*N.

Comment

I just started a Web Design class, and as I see it, the best way is to put everything together in Dreamweaver, and then you do all the tweaking and advanced functions with the code. I am learning the basics of coding at the moment.

The downside of writing the code manually is that it is easy to miss something. I often find myself not writing the "/" in the end tags and similar things. I am sure experience comes with practice, though.

If I may go off topic, do you have any tips for what I can do with my project that I will be working on in class? Any programs to use? Special functions?
              Last edited by Birthdayparty; February 6, 2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Birthdayparty View Post
                I just started a Web Design class, and as I see it, the best way is to put everything together in Dreamweaver, and then you do all the tweaking and advanced functions with the code. I am learning the basics of coding at the moment.

The downside of writing the code manually is that it is easy to miss something. I often find myself not writing the "/" in the end tags and similar things. I am sure experience comes with practice, though.

If I may go off topic, do you have any tips for what I can do with my project that I will be working on in class? Any programs to use? Special functions?
                What kind of project? :001_smile:

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpyda View Post
                  What kind of project? :001_smile:
                  Do you mean the subject of the website? It will be about Lost, the TV-show, and I have all sorts of ideas for what I want to do. I thought of throwing in a trailer, some sounds, pictures and buttons. Well, that sounds like any other website, but I am just starting out, so do not blame me for not being original.

Comment

You are probably on the right path as a beginner. For what you are doing, you can bring together what you are learning to create the type of site you talk about.

However, later, you may wanna use a blog as a base as they offer creating what you want without using as much code, and have much of the leg work taken care of for you, therefore your code can be better placed on the more funky features of the presentation.

And if you really like webby stuff, try a CMS, a lot more work to begin with, but a lot of flexibility once you get your head around them.

Now, the OP asked about code or GUI, IMO, if you can harness both then you have the best of both worlds, i dont use DW that much, i too prefer code. The statement that "coding html is pointless" is too optimistic and comes from a person that should know better ;)
                    Last edited by GameOn; February 9, 2009, 11:42 AM.

Comment

if you're leet you do code. if you're normal, you do GUI :)

Comment

i think you have to start without dreamweaver or anything else..because this often is the only way you learn how to write clean code..later you always can use dreamweaver..but i dont use the gui view in dreamweaver..still uses the code view..a lot of things now go faster then in editor.. :-D

i'm a fan of handcoded things..plus you need knowledge of the code if you go on with php for example...its hard to use php if you always "coded" in gui style..

Comment

I use notepad2 for all my php.

Comment

Code!!

I don't like the GUI stuff because it isnt as flexible when it comes to customizing your site the way you want it.

I prefer typing everything by hand

Comment

Been using Dreamweaver since v3, but really don't know why. I don't use its WYSIWYG interface at all - all I really use is colored code, code autocompleter, tabbed navigation (nicely upgraded now) and ftp support since CS4. That's all. I guess any other like CODA would do. I'm just used to DW.

Comment

I think you get a better understanding of website development by learning the code before you move on to dreamweaver. It's like in math class, you always have to learn the hard way before they tell you that there's a way to do it that is completely hassle free. Sure you're mad that you didn't have access to the easy way earlier, but now you understand how the easy way does what it does.

By using the code instead of a GUI environment, you get a closer attachment and better understanding of what the code is doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X