Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Websites - Code vs GUI

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Websites - Code vs GUI

    I want to know why Dreamweaver is so good. My school IT teacher started saying that coding HTML is pointless if apps like Dreamwever exist. I disagree with him, I like using Nano or Notepad (Depending what OS, Nano is Linux versoin of notepad that uses terminal) to create my sites.

    So what do you think? Do you think that coding is cleaner in Notepad, or do you think that coding has been outdated by apps like Dreamweaver?

    I personally think coding is better. XHTML, CSS & PHP have all worked nicely under Nano & I see no reason to change.

    What is everyone elses point of view on this? Code or GUI?

  • #2
    I've always preferred writing websites from scratch to be honest. Stuff like Dreamweaver never really caught my eye, and I felt kind of guilty using it, you know, taking the easy way out.

    Anyways, coding is always more fun.

    Comment


    • #3
      Code here, GUI constantly pisses me off. One day I will sit down and try to understand why so many people like the GUI approach.

      Comment


      • #4
        its too easy i think. gui is for lazy ppl thats why so many peeps like it. coding in notepad is also shit bcs only freeks code this way. it isnt smart code in notepad due there are many many nice code programs with highlights on code-commands

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree with the notepad thing. I usually code in the VI editor, by far my favorite. I have tried NANO but always end up going back to VI.

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with deeje and invite4all, I also prefer code but notepad the the worst editor possible...
            Get yourself a decent programming environment. I usually use ActiveState Komodo.

            Comment


            • #7
              Speaking from the point of view of someone that doesn't really know how to code, it's nice to have a program that does it for you...I mean that's what software is for, to make people's lives easier.There are people like you guys, who prefer to do it manually...But for us, it's better to use.

              TL;DR - People who know how to code like to do it manually, people whop don't, can't.

              Comment


              • #8
                Komodo rocks, either that or I use Eclipse. Very versatile program.

                Comment


                • #9
                  its too easy
                  Komodo rocks,

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    To top off on top of this stuff, I use notepad2. Check out my tutorial in the tutorials section, I've a download link there and some nice stuff about it. It's kind of like notepad, but with code-highlighting and stuff - an advanced notepad.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by qpow2 View Post
                      I also prefer code but notepad the the worst editor possible...
                      Get yourself a decent programming environment. I usually use ActiveState Komodo.
                      What's wrong with Nano or Notepad? They let me code & save as a HTML file. What more do I want to do? There is nothing more I want to do apart from that.

                      Why would I want to use Komodo which is obviously less screen space & more features that aren't needed. Komodo seems a waste of time.

                      If you want a nice enviroment to make websites, get Dreamweaver CS3 & use GUI rather than code. If you want to actually code, then notepad or Nano will do everything you need them to do, but without the junk in Komodo GUI.

                      I took a look at Komodo screenshots. It looks full of rubbish. It's not like it can make code that you can't make in Notepad. It just looks like I will have to learn more stuff if I go to use Komodo.

                      Komodo doesn't look like a 'decent' enviroment to me. It just looks like a bloated alternative to notepad. Notepad & Nano look like the best enviroments to me without a doubt because they are small, fast & let me do eveything myself without any interuption. The last time I used a coding IDE, I just got annoyed with it. It kept automaticly doing stuff to the code without asking me. Notepad & Nano let me code without the hassle. That's why they beat IDEs anyday of the week. IDEs for GUI enviroments is a different story though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SunSpyda View Post
                        I want to know why Dreamweaver is so good. My school IT teacher started saying that coding HTML is pointless if apps like Dreamwever exist. I disagree with him, I like using Nano or Notepad (Depending what OS, Nano is Linux versoin of notepad that uses terminal) to create my sites.

                        So what do you think? Do you think that coding is cleaner in Notepad, or do you think that coding has been outdated by apps like Dreamweaver?

                        I personally think coding is better. XHTML, CSS & PHP have all worked nicely under Nano & I see no reason to change.

                        What is everyone elses point of view on this? Code or GUI?
                        There's no point in what your IT teacher said, without coding there will be no dreamweaver at all and we need to know about coding to understand better how apps like dreamweaver works. So i have no difficult to choose that coding is better and we need to use both as well. No kidding, i use both and seems like to be a nosense work without the knowledgement. Sorry if i misunderstand something.
                        Regards.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think for now coding without GUI will be better unless there is a GUI that is capable of searching functions throughout the whole project. (I forget what is the name called for this function).

                          But for software programming, I will rather use the GUI. =P

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Gottalive View Post
                            There's no point in what your IT teacher said, without coding there will be no dreamweaver at all and we need to know about coding to understand better how apps like dreamweaver works. So i have no difficult to choose that coding is better and we need to use both as well. No kidding, i use both and seems like to be a nosense work without the knowledgement. Sorry if i misunderstand something.
                            Regards.
                            Maybe you are right but to me it seems that is better to go first with an easy to use software that is more GUI so the newbies like me can learn first the basics than look at the code in dreamweaver to see how that works. I think that it is not easy to start directly from code because if you do that than you can learn very well coding in notepad and you will never need dreamweaver or other GUI softwares to do that for you. I use Bluefish Editor but i first had to understand how things work with dreamweaver than i was able to use a little Bluefish.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by hello86 View Post
                              Maybe you are right but to me it seems that is better to go first with an easy to use software that is more GUI so the newbies like me can learn first the basics than look at the code in dreamweaver to see how that works. I think that it is not easy to start directly from code because if you do that than you can learn very well coding in notepad and you will never need dreamweaver or other GUI softwares to do that for you. I use Bluefish Editor but i first had to understand how things work with dreamweaver than i was able to use a little Bluefish.
                              Pretty good friend.
                              I agree with you in some points but i've been in a classroom for a very much long time ( learning and teaching ) and realize that will be hard to understand code first but you have to start one day, or the GUI knowledge will be outdated very fast and code can give some base to go by yourself without problems, or at least not so much than you would take on the learning. Using and learning both, right!?!?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X