Nvidia: Aim lock... Bugger! Shot my own foot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia: Aim lock... Bugger! Shot my own foot

I'm yet to come across a person save one dimwit of a friend of mine, who wouldn't want to press the system on for a bit more performance... Heck, there are some folk who made a career out of pushing hardware to its limits. Nvidia of late has been in the news for all the wrong reasons, trouble with its chip's design, then production and i'm dead certain that this is not the only thing... ATI's coming with a refresh to its lineup to counter whatever Nvidia could conjure with Fermi and hold on to the market share that it has now gained. As if all these things were not enough, Nvidia now seemingly has disabled oc utilities with an update to its drivers... at least they don't work on WIN 7 x64... which is what most computer literate chaps will be on... or already are on...

Read more at semiaccurate.com

http://semiaccurate.com/2010/01/21/l...-overclocking/

YESTERDAY NVIDIA RELEASED the 196.21 WHQL drivers for its graphics cards that adds SLI support to several recent games - as well as some old ones - and brings a new version of the PhysX drivers along for the ride. However, it also killed most overclocking utilities at the same time.

Itís not clear what is going on, but Expreview has tested with RivaTuner 2.24C, EVGA Precision 1.9.0, Galaxy MagicPanel HD and MSI AfteBurner 1.5.0 Beta 5. Of the four utilities only MSIís AfterBurner utility would let them overclock their test card. We can add Gigabyteís Gamer HUD to the list of applications that stopped working after the driver update.

Some of the utilities are still displaying the clock speeds of the cards, but most of them are just displaying zeros. GPU-Z is still detecting the clock speed of the cards correctly, which leaves us to think that this has been done on purpose by Nvidia, although as we canít verify if this is the case on any other operating system than Windows 7 64-bit we canít draw any conclusions at this time.

Expreview is drawing some wild conclusion that its related to Nvidiaís impeding launch of Fermi based cards and as such they want to prevent the cards from being overclocked. This seems like a little bit of a long shot, especially as the drivers are WHQL certified for use with the current crop of cards. Hopefully Nvidia will sort out this issue as we can imagine that quite a few people will be miffed about it, least not the competitive overlocking crowd.S|A
Working...
X