No announcement yet.

Windows 7.....32 bit or 64 bit and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7.....32 bit or 64 bit and why?

M planning to get my windows 7 OEM "Ultimate". But m still confused whether to get a 32 bit or 64 bit version.
    I've been using the 32bit version of windows 7 buid 7100. Didn't had any problem with any software except for few. And performance wise its been the better than any other previous version of windows.

And what are the advantages of 64 bit operating system?
    Windows 7-32bit OEM?
    27.08%
    Windows 7-64bit OEM?
    72.92%

The poll is expired.

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on all my my desktop PCs as they all have atleast 6 GB of memory in each of them. Depending on whether or not you have more than 4 GB of memory or if you know you'll be expanding it, I suggest you install the 64 bit version since it's compatible with 32 bit software. People think the downside to x64 is finding drivers for particular hardware and peripherals, but that's long past due since you're able to find drivers for practically everything you have. I haven't found any issues finding drivers for any of the four PCs I have the x64 bit OS on. And again, if you have less than 4 GB and don't plan on upgrading to more than that, just go with the 32 bit. Hope clears things up a bit.

Comment

That's a very good question! Ive always used 32 bit but my pc will run 64bit, its just something i have never really looked in to,i guess i have always been happy at 32 bit. Ive seen people complain about compatibility issues with 64bit,maybe that's why i stayed with 32.
      This is a good post for me to watch, it will be interesting to see what the real beneficial differences are.

Comment

There's really no such thing as compatability issues with 64bit OS nowdays. Back in the XP64bit (which was crap) there was. Drivers for just about everything can be found for 64bit now. However applications are a little further behind as most are still written for 32bit architecture. This doesn't mean they wont run in a 64bit system, they will but they won't be any quicker as in a 32bit environment. The best part, as mentioned in another post, is the benefits of being able to add and utilize more RAM.

In my opinion, if your PC is capable of running 64bit, then do so. Bigger more extensive programmes that are memory hogs like CAD, some games will perform better under 64bit.

Have a read of this from Micro$oft
        32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
        Last edited by staffrodore; November 3, 2009, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I've been using 64 bit Wm 7 and Vista, never had any major problems.
          Generally it is only useful if you have more than 4gb of ram, otherwise you won't see any difference.

As long as your hardware is relatively new, so as to find drivers you will be fine. (32bit drivers don't run on 64bits windows)

Comment

As Torrent-Pirate said, it is caused by Physical Memory space. The link he provided has a detailed instruction.

On any 32-bit Operating System (not only Windows), we only have access to 4GB of physical address space by default. Hardware needs to allocate physical memory space to use for things like the PCI bus, BIOS, the video card and others. It allocates this from the address space presented to it, which is not necessarily the same as the amount of physical RAM installed.

When you have 4GB of RAM installed, the amount of physical memory installed is the same as the address space. If you have 4GB RAM, and the hardware needs to allocate a large chunk of memory for its own use, and it does this from top to bottom, the memory that is blocked off starts at 4GB and allocates downwards. So, the final amount of RAM the OS will be able to see is the difference.

Comment

I've learned that 64 bit computing differences are really seen in applications like the WCG crunching. I crunch alot and was planning if it really makes a difference in calculations. If anybody can highlight me on this i'll really appreciate.

Comment

I am running Win 7 pro x64 since Aug (MSDN version).
                Win 7 owns them all... hehehe
                after 3 months of constantly adding and removing programs, upon start up, Win 7 takes about 1.2 GB of Ram. I have no problem running 32 bits software as I had with Win XP and Vista x64. Win 7 is very stable and light on system resources. However, I really hate Windows Media Player 12 came with it. Its awkward behavior and design ain't fun to deal with but hey I use VLC.

Comment

64 bit for many reasons

Comment

Originally posted by cr0nick View Post
                    As Torrent-Pirate said, it is caused by Physical Memory space. The link he provided has a detailed instruction.
                    I think u meant staffrodore :p

I have 4 gb ram , so it doesn't make any difference to me .

Comment

Well technically, if you're on a 32 bit OS you won't be utilizing the entire 4 GB as you would be on the 64 bit one.. You're using approximately 3.5 GB. So to some, that 500 (512) MBytes goes a long way. Just thought I'd put that out if my previous statement about 4 GB made people assume you're using the entirety of the 4 GB on a 32 bit system.

Comment

I have less that 4gbs of ram on my laptop so for that reason I had to go with 32bit.

Comment

32 Bits I don't use 64 bits because I'm afraid I wont fond drivers for my devices.

Comment

You should read some of the earlier posts as you will find that is untrue.

Comment

I personally have gone with 64bit I am running 6 gig of ram and have three 1t drive in it
                              works great

Comment

Working...
                              X