Opinions on this setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this setup.

So atm i use a IBM Lenovo T61(Great Laptop) but am giving it back to school(LOOSE) as i finish in about 8 days(WIN). Im currently looking to buy a new desktop computer so that i can play all the games i wish, watch all my favourite movies and lsten to my awsome music :)

I got about $700 AUD and was tihnking of getting this from a gaming mate second hand.

Intel Quad Core Extreme Q6600
    Corsair 4GB DDR3 1066mhz
    nVIDIA GTX275 512MB
    Asus Formula Extreme II Motherboard
    Vista Ultimate 64Bit
    1000W PSU
    Antec 1200 Case
    Watercooled

**Not sure how big HDD is, but that aint a major issue for now. What do you guys tihnk of this setup? Anyone got a similar setup? Would you recommend any changed/upgrades?

Note: I was thinking of asking him to take out the Q6600(save some money) and then just get an E8400/500

Cheers,
    Ripe

He's selling it to you for only 700 AUD? Get it!

Two drawbacks:
    - You'll play too much. ^^
    - Watercooling is pretty and effective but it requires maintenance and can be a bit noisy.

For gaming, an E8400 will be fine, but if you want to convert videos or compile programs, get the Q6600.

(nVidia GTX 275 is more or less equal to ATI HD 4890.)

Comment

Originally posted by kiplantt View Post
      For gaming, an E8400 will be fine, but if you want to convert videos or compile programs, get the Q6600.
      most converters are not fully capable of smp operation. i.e. they are not able to use multiple cores.
      normally they are multithreaded at best. in reality that means they're able to go up to 140% or 150% cpu which is not even 2 full cores obviously.

compiling apps can be spread onto multiple cores. however that depends on the app. when compiling one of the mozilla apps e.g. roughly 30% must not be built in paralllel.

so a quad core only makes sense when you're compiling quite a lot and when your video or gfx apps do support smp explicitly.

Comment

Get Windows 7!

Comment

It for large psu, unnecessarily, unnecessarily DDR3, proposes this set for you :

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 ghz
          4096 MB RAM Corsair Dominator @1150
          EVGA GTX 280
          EVGA 780i
          600W PSU :)

Comment

He's selling it to you for only 700 AUD? Get it!

Two drawbacks:
            - You'll play too much. ^^
            - Watercooling is pretty and effective but it requires maintenance and can be a bit noisy.

(nVidia GTX 275 is more or less equal to ATI HD 4890.)
            Yeh, I probs would play a bit lolz but ohwell.
            The guys said it doesnt require that much maintenance. He said he hasnt touched it. What type of maintenance does it require?

and im not really into compiling programs, but by converting videos, do you mean from like .avi/.mkv to DVD? usuing stuff like convertXtoDVD

Originally posted by the0ne View Post
            Get Windows 7!
            Yeh i was thinking about that, but since its new there is bound to be many bugs, and i was probs going to wait till SP1. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Danielo View Post
              It for large psu, unnecessarily, unnecessarily DDR3, proposes this set for you :
              What ?

Comment

What ?
                He means that a 1000 watt PSU is overkill for that system. A 550 - 650 will run it perfectly. Same with the ddr3 RAM, For that DDR2 would be sufficient.

Comment

@Staffrodore what is the difference between DDR3 and DDR2 can a DDR2 motherboard run both?

Thanks

franny

Comment

try to get something like i7 860 and a 1156 socket motherboard if possible, and a little lower psu to save some money (something like corsair 750w would be ok)

Comment

Originally posted by franny66 View Post
                      @Staffrodore what is the difference between DDR3 and DDR2 can a DDR2 motherboard run both?

Thanks

franny
                      DDR3 runs at a faster speed then DDR2 and has a slightly different slot to DDR2. To be honest it's a waste of time trying to run DDR3 in a DDR2 motherboard although some new motherboards have slots that can handle both DDR2 and DDR3, you just can't run both at the same time.

Comment

Since you want a computer to meet their needs poses a Core i7 in place of Extreme Quad Core Q6600 I would find much better

and expect to launch the seven windows to put in place of windows vista 64bit

Comment

As it stands now, buying that for only $700 is a steal. But it could obviously use some tweaks and adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                          X