Hard Disk Drive preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Disk Drive preference

Yes I know that SSD (Solid State Drives) are the fastest, but their reliability can be spotty.
    What are your thoughts on hybrid drives and do you still use Standard mechanical HDDs?

Reliability of older SSDs is still very good. Newer ones may have much shorter life expectancy due to lowering production cost by manufacturer. Samsung 830 SSD is practically unkillable but Samsung 850 Evo can die in 5-6 years.

Comment

To be honest, if you use a lot of SSDs you probably got backups etc. covered.

I still use 7200RPM HDD's.

Comment

I just swopped out my old 120GB SSD for a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD; works great, now the old 1TB HDD is in bay 2 of the laptop for general use, I have a 512GB SD Card for file transfer as well as a USB3 stick (forget what size), then backup storage on a portable 4TB HDD to use between Mac & PC. Not expensive & works well so far...
        sigpic

Comment

I had HDDs in my old laptop and I believe that was it's hugest weakness point, so I have decided to immediately change HDD to 500GB SSD in my new one. Yes I am using an 500GB SSD and not a stupid 125 or 240 GB one, because I like big storages :)

Comment

I'd say have HDD + SSD. HDD for storage of movies, music, etc. SSD for storage of games, media editing programs, etc.

Comment

500GB SSD for OS and Apps, 4 7200 RPM 8TB HDD's in RAID10 for storing and serving media, ...
              Last edited by Skywalking; May 2, 2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Internal HDD for temp files (series I'm watching, music files before editing etc.) Internal SSD for games & software and other important stuff. I also have 2x 1TB external for movie & series storage after I've watched them, so I dont need to have them laying around on my PC.

Comment

... and I back it all up with floppy disks. I've got a couple more 8TB HDD's I want to add to the RAID array, but I'm lookin for a deal on floppies for back up before I commit. Anyone know of a good place to get them? My setup is mostly 5.25 inch disks with a bunch of 8 inchers in the mix. I want to upgrade to a 3.5 inch setup to save space in my basement, but the damn drives are hard to find (working) for some reason...
                  Last edited by Skywalking; May 2, 2017, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I've only ever used Western Digital Caviar Black HDD's and have never had one fail on me.

Comment

Same as [MENTION=363610]dwguy[/MENTION], I like to have a 500GB SSD for gaming and music, and like others, I have a 2 TB external HDD for storing movies, TV Shows, and backups. Though the old external HDD is almost full with HD movies and shows...

Comment

I prefer to have an SSD 256 Gb for Windows and some favourite soft and 1 Tb or more for everything else. I prefer Kingston. Not long ago I ordered a new SSD. I almost failed with the delivery because I misspelt my postal code. On zip code map worldpostalcode.com I checked it and corrected though. Now I'm waiting for my new drive with patiently.

Comment

At the moment SSDs are very reliable. Although important data should always be backed up in 3 different places at least.

Comment

Working...
                          X