CPU overheating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU overheating problem

I upgraded my PC recently and got an FX-6100 among other things. Two of the stock fan blades quickly broke (I think it was the end of an unused cable) so I put in the fan from my old heatsink literally ON the new one (it wouldn't fit, it doesn't even have screws, I pried it off the old heatsink but it's just a bit smaller than the current heatsink).

Temps would quickly rise to 80C when gaming, and I couldn't find a fan small enough to put on the stock fx-6100 heatsink. So I bought a 120mm (or 140mm) case fan and just slapped it on the heatsink while keeping my case horizontal. The temps when idle would get around 18C but still kept rising above 70C under load. The third combination, and so far the best is I've put the case fan on the back under the PSU (it's blowing air in), the old CPU fan on the new CPU and temps quickly rose but peaked at 55C after about 5 minutes of Prime95 on the test that produces the most heat. I keep my case open at all times.

Should I flip the case fan to blow air out to get even better temps? I read that it's better when you only have one case fan, but don't think it applies with an open case as much.
    https://gyazo.com/068eaff13ec27b433459eba3201a4259
    This is what HWMonitor gives me atm, I got 3 tabs in Google Chrome (Facebook,Reddit, Torrent Invites) and Spotify opened. The frequencies seem a bit high for that?

Originally posted by dante92 View Post
    I upgraded my PC recently and got an FX-6100 among other things. Two of the stock fan blades quickly broke (I think it was the end of an unused cable) so I put in the fan from my old heatsink literally ON the new one (it wouldn't fit, it doesn't even have screws, I pried it off the old heatsink but it's just a bit smaller than the current heatsink).

Temps would quickly rise to 80C when gaming, and I couldn't find a fan small enough to put on the stock fx-6100 heatsink. So I bought a 120mm (or 140mm) case fan and just slapped it on the heatsink while keeping my case horizontal. The temps when idle would get around 18C but still kept rising above 70C under load. The third combination, and so far the best is I've put the case fan on the back under the PSU (it's blowing air in), the old CPU fan on the new CPU and temps quickly rose but peaked at 55C after about 5 minutes of Prime95 on the test that produces the most heat. I keep my case open at all times.

Should I flip the case fan to blow air out to get even better temps? I read that it's better when you only have one case fan, but don't think it applies with an open case as much.
    https://gyazo.com/068eaff13ec27b433459eba3201a4259
    This is what HWMonitor gives me atm, I got 3 tabs in Google Chrome (Facebook,Reddit, Torrent Invites) and Spotify opened. The frequencies seem a bit high for that?
    Honestly, spend a tenner and get a new fan. The fan-on-fan arrangement you describe will not get the correct airflow over the radiator elements and it cannot work efficiently. Believe it or not, there is a lot of technical knowhow that goes into the design on these things. The heatsink and its fan are made to work as a single unit.

You will also need some fresh thermal paste. It is important that you clean away all existing past from the CPU before applying the fresh stuff. The interface between the CPU and the heatsink is absolutely critical and is very sensitive to any inefficiency.

Comment

The thermal paste got a bit spent, I checked, but it's mostly fine. I just checked and the problem is definitely fixed, tried out some games for an hour and it's around 50C while it used to be 80C. Not even gonna bother flipping the case fan.

Comment

55C is fine under load with Prime95. Tbh, few games will ever slaughter a CPU as much as benchmark apps will. Having said that, if you took the trouble to buy an FX6100, I really don't understand why you wouldn't invest in a decent heatsink. You realise the hotter a CPU gets, the more it will throttle its power consumption down in an attempt to reduce temps? Additionally, you're reducing the lifespan of the chip by running it hot all the time. Your CPU is capable of sustaining 60c max temps, but its not ideal over long periods.
        Go get yourself a nice cheap coolermaster evo sink for less than $25 and you're golden. And replace the thermal paste... most Arctic Silver pastes are very good.

Without a better heatsink, your only other option is manual overclocking. In your case, this would mean dropping the Vcore voltage down by tiny incremental steps - running Prime after each change of voltage to see if your PC will reach POST and run Prime in a stable mannerf.
        Last edited by S1lver_D; February 18, 2016, 06:05 PM.

Comment

You must use Thermal Paste I guess. I have problem sometime my PC was stuck.

Comment

Working...
          X