Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 bit or 64 bit CPU?

Hi!

I have a question and i hope someone can help me.
    I have a laptop from a friend that needs a fresh installation of Windows 7 so before i began the installation i looked at what type CPU it had.
    I've checked by going to system settings and i found out it was a 32 bit Windows running (x86).

So there's a thing i've been doing to check the CPU type through cmd.

cmd > set pro

This gives the PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE and the PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER.

i thought PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = currently running (x86)

and PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = Capable of running (x86)

So i would have to install the 32 bit version of Windows 7.

I've installed quite a few PC's and sometimes i would forget to check the bit version in Windows and just begin the installation.

So i open cmd during installation (Shift+F10), type in set pro, and if the PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER displays x86 i would install 32 bit Windows and if it displays x64 i would install 64 bit Windows.

Sometimes i would display PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE = x86 and PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER = x64

Again i thought currently running 32 bit Windows but capable of running 64 bit Windows.

Ok, on with the story...

On this Laptop it would say x86 on both the Architecture and Identifier.

So i began the installation (i even double checked using the above during installation).

But i thought what if i begin to install the 64 bit version, it must give me an error.

So i installed 64 bit windows on the laptop, and everything installed just fine.

When i open the cmd now it would give: PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE and the PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER both x64.

So it has x64 bit processor.

How can this be? , Am i using the command wrong? , And how can i check (using cmd) to find out what the real processor type is?

Sorry for the long story, and my english.

Word of advice, don't use the command "set pro." Instead, you should use wmic cpu get name (or just look in the system properties) and google it to see if it's a x64 or x86 processor. Most computers built in the last 6 years or so will be x64 capable.

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I did a bit of searching on wmic but i can also use these commands right?

OS = wmic os get osarchitecture

CPU = wmic computersystem get systemtype

Comment

wmic os get osarchitecture will only tell you which type of OS it was installed (if it was x64 or x86)
        wmic computersystem get systemtype might tell you what it is but I prefer doing the good old proved and true method of finding out the model processor and googling it.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

64 hope to get an 86

Comment

You might look into PowerShell as well. It is simple and can do some amazing things once you get familiar with it.

This command will give you what you want using PowerShell.

PS C:\> gwmi win32_Processor

Comment

64-bit is best choice if you have good computer spesification.

Comment

Working...
                X