MKV native playback in windows.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKV native playback in windows.

Just downloaded the latest build of Windows 10 Technical Preview.
    Native MKV support is here after all these years. About time!

edit.. It made me curious about Flac so I just checked it out. It shows the media icon but then gives the "unsupported, so may not play..yada, yada" The good news is that they do play. Hopefully the end of dodgy codec packs.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3314782553.png

Originally posted by soulfire View Post
    Hopefully the end of dodgy codec packs.
    Codec packs? What? VLC or MPC and you're golden!

Comment

Originally posted by CnCHavoc View Post
      Codec packs? What? VLC or MPC and you're golden!

True enough but native support is better and way overdue.
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/3314782553.png

Comment

I've always liked video thumbnails so I hope native support includes that. For now I have to use k-lite codec pack.

Comment

I wouldn't call KLCP 'dodgy'... It's the defacto codec standard since like 2007. The only 'icky' thing they've done is starting with version 1030-something a few months back they now bundle crapware toolbars with it. But honesty it doesn't surprise me, since everyone's doing it now. But there's no need to install any other codec packs. Anything that tells you otherwise is a virus/scam.

Comment

VLC plays it and almost all of the other common used video formats without a problem...

Comment

I agree with native support of mkv and flac is way overdue. Many people don't want to install much 3rd party software (and maybe don't know about VLC) and MS has to do this step. However, I prefer VLC over the MS applications because the VLC guys don't just want to satisfy the casual user, but the power user as well. And it just plays everything out of the box.

Comment

Great info on the MKV now being supported.

Comment

Working...
                X