Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should i get MS certified in server 2008 or 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should i get MS certified in server 2008 or 2012?

Hi guys,

i wonder anyone can offer me some advice.

I am looking to do a course in windows server and get MS certified. I have two options, server 2008 or server 2012. There is a 100 price difference in the courses, but that does not matter to me.

I have been told that server 2012 should be avoided, as its the equivalent of windows 8, where its apparently designed for touch screen, and does not really work in a similar manner to windows vista compared to windows XP. or windows 8 compared to windows 7. Personally, i cant really see how this can be the case. But do understand that vista was a pain in the rear compared to XP, and personally i wish i had stayed with windows 7 rather than upgrade to windows 8 (8.1) due to the really annoying touch features that constantly get in the way without additional apps that stop most of the touch features. (i don't use touch screen)

So in regards to that, many people have said that they would avoid 2012 and wait for the next release, which would imply to me that i should do the server 2008 course. However in my mind, i feel 2012 would probably be a better course to take as it would have more modern factors included that would more than likely help if i ever moved up to any future release.

Personally, i am leaning towards taking the server 2012 course as its of course more modern and up to date. However i don't really have anyone to ask about this.

Could anyone give me some advice, or recommend which course i should take and why?

Am i right in thinking its best to go for the latest edition? Or would it hinder me by knowing 2012 if no one really runs 2012? i know a lot of companies use very old versions of server. Would knowing 2012 prevent me from working with say pre-server 2008? Or it is basically the same, just laid out different?

any advice is gratefully welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Hmmm, I am a MCSE (or it might be called MCSA) in 2008 (and all the other versions) and have not upgraded to 2012. I have been doing these exams for 15 years! And sorry to say this to you, they have proved completely worthless to me (from a getting jobs point of view) The knowledge is useful, but once you understand the basics and have the core competency in Networking and Servers then any new version you can soon pick up.

You will no doubt have heard the term "paper MCSE" so many people, especially from the Indian sub-continent learned just to pass the exams and became certified with no knowledge. Add to this Microsoft's fun way of changing things for changes sake and to sell new versions that no one needs and the certificate became worthless. Think about it, its almost 2015 and you are thinking about getting certified in 2012 and from what I hear Windows 9 is out in 2015 too. Its impossible to keep up and appear current on your CV. They release the OS, the books appear a year later (maybe 18 months) you then start to study, sit exams.. bang.. a new version is out.

From what I hear in the industry, one certificate that is still in demand is Cisco. Does that interest you at all?

Oh one final thing, Id look at some popular job search engines in your area and try such search as MCSE, MCSA, CCNA and see what the demand is like.

Sorry this is a bit negative, hope what I said helps you.

Comment

Thanks for you reply,

Its very helpful, I am aware that the certification is basically a piece of paper, but i do need to learn a bit more in depth about server, as i have only really worked with home and small office networking which just uses shared files usually from a master computer, so any experience in using things such as active directory is always going to be advantageous. i guess i was hoping that doing the course would help prove that i understand the concepts.

You are correct in assuming this is to get better career prospects, I have just completed a course that i was told included server, but i was basically lied to. I am sure i know all the basic principles, but there is terminology that i just don't know, which i think is where i am falling short. for example, i know what active directory is, and how it works, but have never worked with it in a working environment, and didn't realize until recently that it was called active directory, however fully understood sharing architecture, policies, user groups etc. but everything is self taught, and employers don't seem to be interested in self taught skills, only workplace experience. and there is catch 22, how to get work place experience if you cant get a job that will give you that experience.

i had forgotten about Cisco to be fair, so thanks for reminding me, I attended a few lectures when i was at university and they were covering CCNA or something similar, so i may look into that. But it seemed to me a little like programming. where they were programming routers and switches. but maybe i misunderstood or just saw they were working on command line stuff and assumed they were coding. But i really struggle with coding, so if the Cisco stuff is like that i would be worried i would have no chance of really understanding it.

Either way, i will look into the Cisco stuff and see what there is to offer.

Many thanks for your reply, you definitely cleared a few things up for me

Comment

No monetary value as far as I can tell...
        sigpic

Comment

Depending where you live JJBandit. You might be interested in PRINCE2. This is a project management methodology, that is often in demand in cushy no work public sector jobs.

To get experience you have to find someone who will give you a chance. Or know someone. You may have to start in a job beneath you just to get that initial foot in the door.

What I would say. Be friendly. To everyone. Lots of lower level people seem terrified of the bosses, and wont talk to them like human beings. They are nothing special, just people, but treat them with respect too. I literally talk to everyone from shop floor, the cleaner, staff, directors and owner of the company. That's how I keep my finger on the pulse, and when problems arise I already have a solution in mind.

Good luck mate :)

Comment

If you do decide to do an MCSE cert, pick 2012 over 2008. Whilst it is correct to say that 2012 is an analogue to Windows 8 in the way that 2008 R2 was to Windows 7 (2008 non R2 was Vista based) , the business world doesn't think "oh I don't like touch screens, I'll stick with this older version instead", it thinks "oh I'll go for the version that has the longest support period" or "oh I think storage pools look like a really great feature, I could use that" and picks a version accordingly. Yes, there's plenty of 2008 servers out there, but there's no point in training in obsolescence.

Comment

It really depends on where you are working. some will value 2008 because that what they are running and have no plans to upgrade for a while. Others will want the 2012 because that company can afford the bleeding edge or have SA with Microsoft.

Get the 2012 that way if you are at a company with 2008 servers let them know when the time comes for migrations you are the right person for the job.

Comment

Working...
              X