Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being a Apple whore that I am, I will say MBP without question

Comment

I know someone who has a XPS who uses it mainly for gaming, but it really heats up. Apple laptops are expensive but overall they seem really good.

Comment

Originally posted by arsepony View Post
        @Elonoir, You say that Apple is full of leaks, but one thing you don't seem to realize is that OsX is only a windowing system for linux. That's right, at the core of OsX is the FreeBSD Linux open source operating system. So if there are holes in Mac OS, then there are also holes in linux, which is what you are suggesting he go with.

Having said that, linux IS a nerdy good time. I love playin around in linux. Best of all, it's free! and almost no software runs on it
        "OSX is a windowing system for Linux"
        WRONG. OSX is based on BSD Unix, not Linux. It isn't just a xwm, as the OSX has many other things integrated like drivers, kernel mods etc.

"core of OsX is the FreeBSD Linux open source operating system"
        Wrong. FreeBSD isn't Linux. It's Unix. BSD Unix to be exact. It isn't based on FreeBSD anyway, it's based on a custom OSX-BSD Kernel.

"So if there are holes in Mac OS, then there are also holes in linux"
        Wrong. OSX isn't Linux. OSX's holes are in the OSX modified areas of the kernel, not the original BSD kernel. If you think BSD is insecure, then obviously you haven't seen OpenBSD.

" and almost no software runs on it"
        Wrong. Aircrack, TCPDump, GCC, GDB & other professional tools are only on Linux/BSD Unix. Other popular programs like Wireshark, Firefox, etc are originated on Linux/Unix.

Mac can not be compared to Unix/Linux. OSX is less secure, as proven by the official hack test a year ago. Linux came out top in security (It was Windows vs OSX vs Linux).

Comment

i love my dell xps

Comment

I'm owning a macbook pro for a few months now and I'm really in love with it. I've always been a windows user and still am.. but on a laptop OS X really is nice specially when you multitask a lot. Different desktops (spaces). For example I got windows open on one screen and I can switch back to OS X by hitting the side of my screen or using CMD+arrow keys.

Comment

macbook pro is way better :D

Comment

Yes, Macbook pro is great

sigpic
                Celebrating 4+ year stay at T-I
                Thanks to extJSDB for promotion

Comment

They are both pretty much equal for me, but if I did get a pro, I would of course dual boot with windows.

Comment

I use Macs at school all the time and not even the higher end models, and they're still great. Apple does a great job at designing it for both style and stability.

Comment

I own a macbook pro for almost a year and have very good impressions on it. Stability is very good and like the features it has like spaces and expose. Very simple and always have a clean desktop.

Bootcamp, I use it sometimes because most games don't run on mac (except WoW) and use VMware Fusion for just looking around Windows or using it for something.

Comment

i have a macbook G4 and i love it. very intutive and so easy to delete and organize.

Comment

I too have a macbook pro.
                          I got vmware fusion on it as well.

I highly recommend it, it is worth the price.

Comment

MBP for sure. The trackpad alone is reason enough. I can browse the web faster and more efficiently with the macbook trackpad than with a mouse. Gestures FTW! The dell XPS trackpad is a joke, its terrible (every other trackpad is compared to it actually). The battery life is unrivaled in the latest macbooks, see anandtech article. The power adapter is way more portable and sleeker. The OS is better than windows for laptops (better battery life, quicksilver owns the dock and start menu, it starts up and shuts down faster, can run windows and most other OSs natively). The case design is just a thing of beauty, and structurally it is unlike anything else out there (feels very sturdy). Macbooks hold their value more so than any other computer out there.

I've been a windows user since win 3.1, and I continue to use windows on my main desktop machine, but as far as laptops go, I will be buying mac from here on out. I currently own a 2.4GHz Unibody Macbook. I have the drive partitioned with Windows 7 and Snow Leopard. I also use VMware to run Windows 7 in order to use mkv2vob (used to remux .mkv to a PS3-friendly format).
                            Last edited by okgg; September 10, 2009, 01:48 AM.

Comment

I got a mac book pro for school and it's better than any PC I've owned, windows OS not withstanding. I have had problems with whatever track pad I was using, with it interfering with my typing every other word. I am probably never using a windows laptop again. Also, the idea of having a triple boot OS might appeal to you. I boot natively into ubuntu,windows xp and the mac osx. I choose which at startup. I chose mine for form factor and weight, but thought there might be a greater heat issue than normal. Apple's hardware is solid though. This is a change from my old laptop weighning in at 8 pounds and 17".
                              There are things in heaven and earth not drempt of in our universe.
                              -ws

That depends on the iterations of your perception of heaven and earth.

Comment

I would rather buy a Dell XPS. Bigger performance, better quality.
                                On the other hand MAC OS is a great thing!

Comment

Working...
                                X