Macbook Pro Vs. Dell XPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macbook Pro Vs. Dell XPS

Ok, so like most normal people, I hate mac n00bs who make the online community fuxin nuts about thier stupid macs....

BUT, recently, i started using my brothers MBP - & it really just kicked ass.
    I'm in the market for a new laptop & it's either Macbook pro or Dell XPS & i'm seeing issues online with the XPS...

If anyone OWNS or has USED either of these -- can you please post your thoughts here (or if you have any other ideas..)

Much appreciated as I havta to get one very soon ;)

Hi.

I've recently swapped out my laptop to a MacBook. Here is what I think about the subject.

First, when you buy a mac you buy more than just the machine, namely the operation system OS X. Its almost like a lifestyle. What I love about the whole mac concept is that it has the "it just works" attitude. It also looks awesome(designwhise). Alot of notebooks also come with a rather large charger, the mac version is small, and you can swap out the end-pieces very simply so you can bring the "short" version on the run, but also have the possibility for the long cord when your at home. Small note about how good Apple has with details, normal notebook chargers are "plug-in". This means that if your unlucky and step on the cord it can possibly break the plug or the computers power-port(or worse). Apple did something genious, the charger is magnetic, so if you step on it, it will just safely unplug. Magetics is also used to keep the screen locked when the mac is closed, this is a very good solution, which means that there is no moving parts involved, ie. less tear. I should also mention that if you should ever need windows or linux, you can just run them on the mac aswell, either with bootcamp(reboot -> new os) or you can run them from within OS X through either Parallels or VMWare Fusion. I have tried VMWare Fusion and I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Videos(I recommend both =):
    Here is a video of VMWare fusion: YouTube - Unity in VMware Fusion for Mac OS X
    Here is a movie about OS X: YouTube - Leopard Mac OS X.5 10.5

I hope this was helpfull

Comment

dude, thanx a lot for that!

I always knew about bootcamp, but that VMware Fusion looks absolutely amazing!

I'm sold :)
      Last edited by Vacuum88; September 21, 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

wow that mac soundns great... and about the cord i know what you mean... i went through 3 cords with my hp... well i havent really used either xps or mac so i cant give an opinion but i did like the xps i saw a while ago... idk if its still up for sale, it was a 20" hd screen and the keyboard was retractable... is it still for sale?
        EL PEPO VIVE!!!
        If you need ipt or pussytorrents feel free to pm me
        trackers im a part of:
        TL,TTI,SCC,S*L,REVOTT,TD,IPT,TB,BITMETV,BITME,BT,X BOXSKY,DEMONOID,SCT,BCG

I'm all done searching for invites... get ready for my giveaways!!!
        please dont pm me for invites that i dont offer in mi sig

Comment

Originally posted by ELPepo View Post
          wow that mac soundns great... and about the cord i know what you mean... i went through 3 cords with my hp... well i havent really used either xps or mac so i cant give an opinion but i did like the xps i saw a while ago... idk if its still up for sale, it was a 20" hd screen and the keyboard was retractable... is it still for sale?

Hmm..we're talkin bout laptops..it comes in 13" & 15" & Dell almost always has good promotions going on..

Comment

I haven't used neither of those, But if I were you I would just go for a 'normal' laptop. If you want something special that just works great, put linux on it. It isn't that hard, a simply google guide will help you through it. ^^ It mostly just simply clicking next. You can also dual boot it with windows.

Haven't heard much about Dell's quality, think most of it is just bollocks of people hearing something and repeating that without knowing anything about it. Don't know, try it out. =p
            I think if I would buy one I would go for AMD since their support for the Open Source community and it works quite well on their notebooks and they deliver support if it doesn't. =) They are also making their own drivers etc. as open source as possible and I like that. =) See quite some benefits of OpenSource, (and no not those were those OpenSource fans brag about like making your own fix if it won't work... More like they have to deliver good quality, can't do anything bad if it's open sourced you have to think about the community, more about it if you google it. ^^ )

Not that this pretty much helped anything, but I hope it still did. ^^

*Greetings, Elonoir.*

Comment

Mac laptop is the way to go man, once u turn on that lil machine u will wonder what the heck were u doing all those years using windows.

Comment

I'm using a Mac and it does rock. There are alternatives for every single windows application I can think of. Granted not all of them are as good but a few of them are actually better. You will have fewer freezes than on Wimdows (especially Vista) and you will have fewer viruses (Because hackers don't Apple? I don't know). I really like the keyboard on the mac but that might just be me because I know a lot of others that like PC keyboards more. A lot of the games on PC's can just as easily be gotten on the Mac (BrokenStones, STC, etc). You know what they say: Once you go Mac you never go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Asherpotter View Post
                  I1.You will have fewer freezes than on Wimdows (especially Vista)

2. and you will have fewer viruses (Because hackers don't Apple? I don't know). I really like the keyboard on the mac but that might just be me because

3. You know what they say: Once you go Mac you never go back.
                  1. That's why I proposed putting Linux on it too there should be ability's for him to put it on it too. It isn't that hard to do. ^^ Just be sure to check your hardware is compatible. (a simply few minutes Google search.) You could also try BSD, but I guess that is a bit to hard. =)
                  Also freezes on the windows systems are also mostly a myth. In most cases it's still just the user who does those things or driver manufacturers that fuck up. =) Though the later get more, which also takes a long time, tested for a mac. At least that is the idea they spread.

2. Yes that certainly is because hackers don't do Apple. Windows simply is so much more used. Apple system have been proven to be full of leaks, way much more than Windows system are, they just mostly aren't misused yet.

3. Yes, and t hey also say that about black, or whatever other thing you could think of that rhymes with back. And so you could also use other things that mean something alike. =)

*Greetings, Elonoir.*

Comment

1) You can't quote me then change it. If you do, I get to eat you in the ShoutBox.
                    2) Just because hackers don't do Apple doesn't mean I don't. (Probably my most non offtopic post)
                    3) Go eat a pastry. Now.
                    4) Linux? What? How much compatible software is there for Linux anyway?

Comment

Thanx all for your help & advice

I ordered the MBP 2.5ghz 2gb ram (which I will upgrade to 4) 250gb hd etc

Elonoir - My younger brother who is 14 is the only one techie enough to use linux in our family, it might hurt his feeling if I used it too ;)

Originally posted by Elonoir View Post
                      3. Yes, and t hey also say that about black, or whatever other thing you could think of that rhymes with back. And so you could also use other things that mean something alike. =)

Lmao @ that. SO true.

Comment

Originally posted by Vacuum88 View Post
                        Hmm..we're talkin bout laptops..it comes in 13" & 15" & Dell almost always has good promotions going on..
                        yeah i know were talking about laptops... i just got an inspiron 1525 but i did see a 20"xps no lies
                        EL PEPO VIVE!!!
                        If you need ipt or pussytorrents feel free to pm me
                        trackers im a part of:
                        TL,TTI,SCC,S*L,REVOTT,TD,IPT,TB,BITMETV,BITME,BT,X BOXSKY,DEMONOID,SCT,BCG

I'm all done searching for invites... get ready for my giveaways!!!
                        please dont pm me for invites that i dont offer in mi sig

Comment

I just got an XPS and love it.

Comment

Vacuum88, there is nothing techy about installing Ubuntu or some of the others that have an installation alike. ;) It's your brothers, show him you can do it too. =p ;)

But I see you have bought a MacBook Pro, than I will hope you enjoy it and won't regret what you have bought. ^^ You can't go back that easily. =p You will have to buy another things, and Mac also has some vendor lockins in some stuff to prevent you from that. =p Though there are always ways around that. ^^ At least at the software part. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Elonoir View Post
                              Vacuum88, there is nothing techy about installing Ubuntu or some of the others that have an installation alike. ;) It's your brothers, show him you can do it too. =p ;)

But I see you have bought a MacBook Pro, than I will hope you enjoy it and won't regret what you have bought. ^^ You can't go back that easily. =p You will have to buy another things, and Mac also has some vendor lockins in some stuff to prevent you from that. =p Though there are always ways around that. ^^ At least at the software part. =)

Yeah, that was a joke ;) For the stuff im gonna use it for apple just made more sense. thanx for the info tho

Comment

Working...
                              X