X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manden View Post
    Let me know about your testing
    Yes, going well. I like Ubuntu, esp. if I can also have it on my phone...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VeBirth View Post
      I couldn't agree more with what staffrodore is saying.

I run Windows 8.1 on my main home office PC with duel monitors and really enjoy it because it forces you to work faster navigating the UI, I'm not necessarily saying Windows 7 is slow to navigate but with the Windows 8's interface being like it is it forces you to use more keyboard shortcuts to navigate and therefore you become much faster. I believe Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are stepping stones to the next full version of Windows which I will surely look forward too both as a tablet and desktop OS!
      Windows 8/8.1 is no where near as bad as people make out - As i said before, most are just scared to death of change, and freak out at the little things. Persevere and learn how to do it properly, and you will be well pleased you did.
      Every version of Windows OS has pushed a concept at you, w8 is no different

/no sarcasm needed
      Last edited by staffrodore; February 17, 2014, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by staffrodore View Post
        Every version of Windows OS has pushed a concept at you, w8 is no different
        /no sarcasm needed
        Yes, although I think it's that pushing rather than listening & responding to needs that many people do not like.
        I assume MS just prefer the Enterprise business & don't care so much about consumers, which is a pity.
        Look at the way they are jumping onto the Adobe bandwagon (also unpopular with regular people) to convert to a subscription model rather than buy S/W + updates...
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
          Windows 9 will be released next year, bye bye W8.x
          http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1268...jor-os-release
          It will have to be something DAMN special to impress me and more than a bloody start menu update or slightly prettied up interface. GIVE ME SOME FEATURES worth writing home about !
          Nothing since XP has really been a decent revision or improvement of the whole windows experience

Comment

Yes, although I think it's that pushing rather than listening & responding to needs that many people do not like.
            This. Windows 8 has a good concept but as one of the guys over at apple said. "We dont plan on a fusion OS for both tablets and desktops since the user needs are very different from each other.
            When i sit with my desktop and windows 8.1 i just feel like the software not was made for a private home user.

Comment

My only concern is: Do all my programs work on Win8 like they work on my Win7?

Comment

Originally posted by eXtreme23 View Post
                I've never had a problem at all, Windows 8 in the end is just an extension of Windows 7. There was at one point notably bad mouse lag for games on Windows 8, but it seems to have been fixed for the most part on 8.1

Comment

Good to hear! I might do a clean Win8 when my 5years old Win7 goes out of control

Comment

Originally posted by eXtreme23 View Post
                    No maybe not all, worth doing a test to find out, some need updating to new versions & not all companies have done this even 1Y on. Anything with a driver component can be an issue too.
                    Some examples, problems with the Intel Centrino Wifi driver, problems with my Canon pixma printer that will no longer print direct to CD/DVD, problems with my Cyberlink S/W requiring support help, etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

My experience has been different, everything I've installed and ran on w8/8.1 has run without any problems, drivers progs etc. Even an old dos based mapping program which was designed way back in 97 installs and runs fine, wouldn't work in w7 unless you had xp mode installed.
                      For me, even just going near a clients w7 PC now feels as though there is something missing from it, to the point it feels almost archaic.

Comment

My experience has been different, everything I've installed and ran on w8/8.1 has run without any problems, drivers progs etc. Even an old dos based mapping program which was designed way back in 97 installs and runs fine, wouldn't work in w7 unless you had xp mode installed.
                        For me, even just going near a clients w7 PC now feels as though there is something missing from it, to the point it feels almost archaic.
                        Wow you have been lucky. most people migrating to W8, esp if from XP have lots of issues, hence there is no direct migration path, you must do a clean install...
                        sigpic

Comment

Win 8 is awesome - if you're capable of using it. I'm running Win 8.1 on both my main machines, and I think I have 8 on the media machine - not 100% sure.

It's actually better than Windows 7, but people can't get past the start button. Change is very very difficult for a lot of people, and that was one change that is just too much for people to manage. I don't miss it in the slightest (in fact I looked to hide it in 8.1 because I don't want it) but it's been brought back to appease the cry-babies.

Metro - you don't need to use it

Mine boots straight to the desktop. If I want a program, I hit "Windows" (which brings up the tiles). Immediately start typing "Word" or "Paint" (no need to click to set focus anywhere or anything). Pretty much 99% of the time the exact app you want is right there. Press enter to start it, and you're back at the desktop. Right click on the app in the taskbar and select "pin to taskbar" and you never have to go through that again to run it.

It's quicker than the old Windows 7 menu, but as I said - people hate change. They want a menu because they always had a menu. Remember the screaming and yelling trying to get people off XP onto Windows Vista/7? No different now - they just throw a tantrum and hide back in their holes.
                          I'm not sure I would try it if I didn't have to? W7 Ultimate is fine for now if that's what your PC runs?
                          Plus, the cracks for W8 may not be so good?

well guys... guess whose rocking windows 8.1 now. I am on day 3. I used the opportunity to set my seeding virtual machine at a baseline and have all my torrents seeding via "network shares" through a VPN on the virtual machine.

running like a freaking DREAM honestly... I absolutely hate the start menu, but the overall speed, responsiveness and, GUI improvements is by far worth it! I'm adapting :)

Comment

Wow you have been lucky. most people migrating to W8, esp if from XP have lots of issues, hence there is no direct migration path, you must do a clean install...
                            There's no direct migration path. You can upgrade to 7 and then to 8 if you wish. Yes, there's two steps but you absolutely DO NOT have to do a clean install. And you don't have to register the Win7 install. Just complete the migration to 8 within 30 days.

My household is now almost exclusively a Microsoft environment. We continue to use one iPad "New" (iPad 3?) and an iPhone 4S which is our emergency backup handset. All our other machines are on Windows 8 and our handsets are WP8. Honestly, the integration is just bloody fantastic. The Lumia devices (1020 and 1520 are outstanding. The tablet/netbooks (Asus T100 Transformer Book and Surface Pro 2) are very good. As are the HP Envy 15 TouchSmarts. We added a couple of 23" touchscreens to the desktops.

The Macs (MacBooks and a Mac Pro) are retasked as linux boxes working as firewalls and web servers.

It's not that I dislike Mac or previous Microsoft products. I don't. I have an entirely irrational fondness for my Macbook Air but I just stopped using it when the Surfaces arrived. Until there's another set of products which are integrated right across the stack (from mobile through tablet, laptop and desktop to server) AND support touch at all levels, we'll be living in the House That Bill Built for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by Clarissa View Post
                              There's no direct migration path. You can upgrade to 7 and then to 8 if you wish. Yes, there's two steps but you absolutely DO NOT have to do a clean install. And you don't have to register the Win7 install. Just complete the migration to 8 within 30 days.

My household is now almost exclusively a Microsoft environment. We continue to use one iPad "New" (iPad 3?) and an iPhone 4S which is our emergency backup handset. All our other machines are on Windows 8 and our handsets are WP8. Honestly, the integration is just bloody fantastic. The Lumia devices (1020 and 1520 are outstanding. The tablet/netbooks (Asus T100 Transformer Book and Surface Pro 2) are very good. As are the HP Envy 15 TouchSmarts. We added a couple of 23" touchscreens to the desktops.

The Macs (MacBooks and a Mac Pro) are retasked as linux boxes working as firewalls and web servers.

It's not that I dislike Mac or previous Microsoft products. I don't. I have an entirely irrational fondness for my Macbook Air but I just stopped using it when the Surfaces arrived. Until there's another set of products which are integrated right across the stack (from mobile through tablet, laptop and desktop to server) AND support touch at all levels, we'll be living in the House That Bill Built for the time being.
                              So WP8? Really? Curiously what are you using to sync your music? I've recently been using Mediamonkey and not iTunes and maybe this is also a possibility for me on my next upgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMMOChampion View Post
                                So WP8? Really? Curiously what are you using to sync your music? I've recently been using Mediamonkey and not iTunes and maybe this is also a possibility for me on my next upgrade...
                                Yeah me too, there aren't exactly a ton of useful apps on the MS Store. Interesting that a family should move away from Apple/Mac/etc to MS/W8 - you should tell MS They would probably pay for that story. [MENTION=259106]TheMMOChampion[/MENTION] congrats on your W8.1 upgrade...
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X