Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yzeki, please don't feed the troll.

Comment

• Ok so now whoever doesn't like Windows 8 is either someone who doesn't like changes, someone who thinks the rest people are sheep or someone who is a troll.
      :evil: HELLenic = Greek which came out of HELL :evil:

Comment

• highly recommended so clean and modern, classic shell is lame use the tiles.

Comment

• I know this is pretty old but I want to add my few cents.

The first week of using Windows 8.1 Pro on my gaming rig exclusively took a bit to get used to on a few aspects but easily manageable using Classic Shell but I can use the tile view if I need to with no issues as well. If I was using this on a tablet or a laptop with touch screen I can find myself liking the tile view but I still like my old start menu.

I haven't had the chance to try it with multiple monitors since it's supposed to have better multi-monitor support but I like the fact that you can have different apps running in different monitors (tested in a virtual machine with 4 monitors before installing 8.1 Pro on my gaming rig).

Under all of it, it's Windows 7 with a new look and different permissions scheme.

Some of the things I find annoying is that even though you have UAC turned off you still can't do everything without running it as administrator (right click and choosing run as administrator in order for you to have full administrator access on command prompt and if you want to edit something that's saved in C:\ you'll need either open explorer.exe as administrator or open the problem you need to use to edit that file as administrator and then browse to the file). In a way this is good to help protect you even more but can be very annoying at times too.

The one thing I like the most about Windows 8 is the recovery options. Boy oh boy is the recovery options awesome. Other then your standard system restore and start up repair you also have refresh which will get ride of installed desktop applications but keep Metro Apps and your user data and you have the reset option which will completely reset windows back to what it was when you first installed it. You can also make custom images and set it active as your refresh image of choice.

My other favorite feature of Windows 8 is the fact that it supports mounting ISO and IMG files, no more need for third party software (still need a third party software if you want to mount a BIN/CUE file).

So overall I like Windows 8.1 when you get around some of the other roadblocks that it has, still leaps and bounds better then Vista but no where as good as Windows 7 but I have no problems installing Windows 8.1 on another system in the future though.

Comment

• Moved this thread to general discussion as it is not a tutorial.
            JOIN US ON IRC FOR CHATTING, FUN, GAMES & PRIZES!

How To Connect To IRC

IRC Word Game
            IRC Word Game Prizes

Comment

• actually the tiles idea are VERY GOOD, but really, there're many bugs that needs to be solved. computers are having hard time connecting to wifi since updated to windows 8 o.O

Comment

• I am still using windows 7 .I know that windows 8 is faster in almost all areas but still the start button thing forces me to change my mind

Comment

• Fine once you beat it into submission...
                  sigpic

Comment

• I did try Windows 8, but missed the old start button so I got back to Windows 7. Still using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by retrojohn View Post
                      I did try Windows 8, but missed the old start button so I got back to Windows 7. Still using it.
                      But you can use replacement programs like Start8, etc., to get that back...
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
                        But you can use replacement programs like Start8, etc., to get that back...
                        Yes but when I tried W8, I don't think these kind of programs existed yet. Or at least I didn't knew about them.

Comment

• Originally posted by retrojohn View Post
                          Yes but when I tried W8, I don't think these kind of programs existed yet. Or at least I didn't knew about them.
                          Might we worth trying again then? Once you get W8.1 sorted out it's pretty good, and it will be easier to upgrade to W9 next year.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
                            Might we worth trying again then? Once you get W8.1 sorted out it's pretty good, and it will be easier to upgrade to W9 next year.
                            Yes maybe I will, thank you.

Comment

• There are things that I like and dislike about Windows 8.

I somewhat like the start screen, but I recognize that using it on a desktop computer can be less efficient compared to start menu in previous versions of Windows, if you're using a mouse. If you use keyboard exclusively for navigation, the start screen wins.

I like how the search feature in Windows 8 works with every program, but this ended up being highly confusing at first. I wanted to search barnes and noble, or amazon and just couldn't figure it out.

I like the extremely fast bootup time.

I DON'T like how the volume control mixer does not affect Start Screen apps, but yet works perfectly for desktop apps. I do not appreciate the inconsistency.

I don't like the charms bar.

I don't like the overall flatness of the OS. I think flat is ultra fad and will pass. It makes the OS look cruddy. Dropshadows, borders, and gloss can be used extremely sparingly to enhance the look. It's all about striking a right balance. I'm not talking Mac OS here, all the gloss in Mac OS is extremely overdone and overbearing.

I don't like how Windows 8 focused moreso on tablets and mobile devices, and not enough on desktop users. This is why I think Windows 9 will be the ticket.

I don't like the instability of the OS. After using it for a month, it was clear that it had issues... crashing games like ANNO 2070... I just can't stick to an OS that has striking problems when Windows 7 works flawlessly for me. :)

I dislike the shotty multi monitor support. There were times when I tried watching Netflix in the tablet app, and every 5 minutes, the tablet app would exit itself while I tried to do things in the desktop on my other monitor. What gives? Why can't it just work problem free?

Overall, I think Windows 8 was a complete miss... and no surprise there. Microsoft generally releases a crap OS, then a fixed OS. (Vista to Win7 for example).

Looking forward to Windows 9. :)

Comment

• i dont like it at all, windows 7 is much better IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X