Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse vs Netbeans

Hi all,

I'm a Java programmer and I really want to know which one is better for developing J2EE apps. I guess Eclipse is the most used IDE, but Netbeans is getting better every release. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Eclipse is lighter on the resources than Netbeans,
    but Netbeans also has great features.

Comment

Eclipse has lot more plugins than Netbeans. Netbeans comes preconfigured with more plugins than Eclipse, however you can find plugins for everything you would want to do for Eclipse easily than for Netbeans. Netbeans has a nice GUI builder which Eclipse lacks.

Both have their pros & cons even though 90% of the features are common between both IDE's. I would say it is a good idea for you to try both of them for a week and see which one you like better. These days (where most IDE's have similar feature sets), the choice of a particular IDE doesn't always boil down to the features available but depends mainly on what feels good to you and easier to navigate for you.

Comment

I agree with hermit here on the plugins. I've used Netbeans for years before switching to Eclipse for the easy subversion/SVN plugins. Netbeans is definitely easier on the eyes, though, with its nice GUI. If you've got the patience and the OS, JCreater's also a good choice, although they nag you to give them money.

Comment

Eclipse is really heavy and slow and it gets on my nerves. Netbeans was like that, but I've been told that this has changed, has it gotten better?

Comment

Honestly they're both a bit heavyweight for my tastes, but definitely Netbeans if I had to pick. It has support for most languages (and is surprisingly good for web development, namely Javascript coding). I will say that Eclipse has an excellent plugin repository, yet in my opinion still falls behind Netbeans. There are certain SDK's however that will more or less force you into using Eclipse (ex: Android SDK) which I'm not a huge fan of.

If you can do without an IDE and/or intellisense:
            - Vim in Linux
            - TextMate in OSX
            - Not sure about Windows, maybe Notepad++? I haven't developed on Windows since XP.

Comment

I've only used Eclipse since its required for the class I'm taking, but I like it so far.

Comment

Pretty sure Netbeans is more familiar to those who've worked in VisualStudio for C++ etc.

Comment

Another point: Eclipse seems (to me) to have a more active developer community too. So if you want support for an obscure dev tool, framework, language, etc., it seems like it might turn iup in Eclipse before NetBeans. Maybe.

What about IntelliJ? Have you looked into that? Nearly everyone I know who uses it RAVES about it, and swears off Eclipse for life, etc. That said I've used IntelliJ (not just hit + run, tried for about 6 months) and just don't like it. I can see the advantages, but it just doesn't suit my workflow for some reason. Personal taste, really, but given how many people DO swear by it I thought I'd throw it out there.

Comment

I switched from IntelliJ to eclipse years ago and never looked back. Eclipse has a better plugin system and a bigger community.

But the more important thing is to just pick one and actually take the time to learn all the tools / configuration / shortcuts.

Comment

I used Eclipse for a few years before I tried NetBeans. Once I switched I never looked back. I can't really pinpoint any specific features that caused me to change allegiances. Rather, NetBeans just gave me a better overall experience. It starts up faster, the interface feels much less cluttered, I'm able to easily find the features I'm looking for, etc.

I'm recommend trying both out for some time before making a decision. From my experiences, they're both equally capable; everything you can do it one can be done in the other (usually through third-party plugins).

Comment

Originally posted by mooble View Post
                        Another point: Eclipse seems (to me) to have a more active developer community too. So if you want support for an obscure dev tool, framework, language, etc., it seems like it might turn iup in Eclipse before NetBeans. Maybe.

What about IntelliJ? Have you looked into that? Nearly everyone I know who uses it RAVES about it, and swears off Eclipse for life, etc. That said I've used IntelliJ (not just hit + run, tried for about 6 months) and just don't like it. I can see the advantages, but it just doesn't suit my workflow for some reason. Personal taste, really, but given how many people DO swear by it I thought I'd throw it out there.
                        Hm, thanks for the info about IntelliJ, I might have to try that out.

I've used eclipse and netbeans, and although I did come back to eclipse, neither of them have really felt like "home" to me, more like I'm fighting tooth and nail to get these programs to behave like I want them to.

Comment

I would prefer eclipse. They have an active community and very useful downloadable plugins. It is a tad slow but I can live with that. Though I must say I havent used NetBeans for a while now. will give it a shot to see if it has gotten better

Comment

I use netbeans daily and find it handles php and java pretty well -anyone else use a dedicated php ide?

Comment

Working...
                            X