Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run game server via FTP ???

hello
    i dont know if its the right place to post this thread, was about to post in general section but i ended up here because i knew all the helpers would be here on this section

so i got a free web hosting service that gives me free FTP account as well. what i want is to run Counterstrike 1.6 server via FTP, i figured out how to copy files to ftp server but dont know how to execute the server and make it remain open even if my PC is off..
    if anyone can help me here it would be great.. i have alot of experience in server running as i used to run server from my home PC but i cant now as i have delicated IP and i have switched to laptop.
    if anyone can help me please reply and/or PM me so we can chat on IRC and etc and launch the server..
    we can set a server for TI aswell..

Thanks

It's not possible to execute programs on a FTP server ...

Comment

so how can i run a server via FTP?? if u rent a sevrer you run it via FTP

Comment

I just told you that you can't. You need shell access to execute programs ...

Comment

Are you looking for something like these?

Welcome to OnLive.com
          Gaikai Video Game Advertising Network | Play Video Games Online

I am also looking for the same. But I doubt they would share that information for free.
          The truth will set you free. But first it will piss you off.
          http://higherperspectives.com/documentaries/

Comment

how can i check if i have shell access?? i think i have all access that is there

rinvite something like that

i do have the ftp IP address and i have full control.. if someone can guide me how to use shell access and run server i think i can make it work

Comment

If you can connect to your server using Putty, you have shell access. Most of the time your FTP username and password along with the server IP should be enough to connect.

Comment

can you help me with how to setup putty?? maybe coming on IRC or something???

Comment

This tutorial shows where you have to input what. When you don't get asked for your password at the end, you probably don't have shell access.

Comment

ok thx cheesefactory
                    btw i found a link.. can this help??

Free ssh

also check this link free services
                    http://www.elitter.net/
                    Last edited by texh; January 5, 2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't try running a game server on something which is intended to be used for IRC bots or web stuff. Why not sign up with a company which provides real servers especially designed for games? On these free things you won't have the performance or bandwidth you need for a game server.

Comment

ok thanks for the help.. i will not waste more time in it.. will try for few days but i dont think i have access to SSH as i tried and it dint asked me for PW

Comment

Sorry to jump in, thought I might be able to help a bit also

have a look at this, from here you might be better off as it will show you what the server would be able to handle, also it will tell you all of the linux install comands needed to install it...
                          Counter-Strike - Creating a Counter-Strike Server

to be honest the free servers wont be that powerful, and might cause problems..

if you do look at the free one on there you dont get chroot permissions (admin basically) on the server, and this is needed for the install of the CS server...

I just re-read your post and saw that you know what your doing with servers... how come you cant make the server on your PC still or if your laptop is powerful, why dont you create a linux VM and install the server on that :-D?

Did you manage to get the ssh working?

Comment

Originally posted by dualclipper View Post
                            I just re-read your post and saw that you know what your doing with servers... how come you cant make the server on your PC still or if your laptop is powerful, why dont you create a linux VM and install the server on that :-D?

Did you manage to get the ssh working?
                            thx for reply dualclipper

i think i have mentioned earlier that i have shifted to laptop, my laptop is powerful but i dont think its good idea to run on laptop as its not open 24/7
                            more bigger issue is now when ever i try to make a server i get my wireless router IP, i did tried prot forwarding and stuff, dint help. so if i have online sevrer i wont have that issue

as for your linux VM advice i dont know what it is... i have only worked on windows...

no idont think they allowed me SSH as i wasnt asked for my password

Comment

I believe logmein's "hamachi" might be able to accomplish what you are looking to do. Dont know if you want to make it public server or just a private one for friends. I believe hamachi will allow up to 16 clients all to appear as "local" clients and thus plan a lan game. Not 100% on it but it might work.

Comment

Working...
                              X