This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coder's Ultimate Guide

What is the purpose of this thread? Easy, create a massive index of every tutorial, reference, and tips/tricks for every coding language out there. This way we don’t get multiple threads with scattered resources. I’m not a master at all coding languages, so you guys are going to have to help out by posting links to resources. Please specify if it is a tutorial or some kind of material when you want me to add something. Try to follow the outline I have done below for Java.

Java is by far one of my favorite languages; it’s not biased against any operating system, secure, and provides a multitude of resources for an applet or application based project.
    What you need:
    -JDK (Java development kit) Java SE Downloads - Sun Developer Network (SDN)

IDEs:
    NetBeans Welcome to NetBeans
    BlueJ BlueJ - Teaching Java - Learning Java
    Eclipse Downloads
    For Ubuntu: Geany : Releases - Courtesy of Osource

Where to start:
    The Java™ Tutorials

Cool tricks and tutorials:
    Basic:
    Catching all Errors and Exceptions

Comparing Dates

Searching a String for a Character or a Substring

Moderate:

Implementing an Unbounded Work Queue

Advanced:

Intercepting All Accesses to External Entities During XML SAX Parsing

Getting the Attributes of an Element During XML SAX Parsing

Source: Exampledepot.com - Awesome place for just about any java tutorial.
    Last edited by Synth; September 6, 2010, 06:00 PM.
    Retired and happy :)

Thanks alot, might use this later this year to finally get started on Java!

Comment

Here is a good code reference site I used to use a lot when I was learning ActionScript 2 and HTML. But there are plenty of other languages on there to. Bear in mind that it's a reference, NOT a tutorial site.

http://www.gotapi.com

Comment

another ide

I think that Eclipse is one the best IDE's out there (I'm probably biased b/c it's my first IDE, haha)

Anyway, its open source, and can run on Windows, Macs, and Linux

download link:
        Eclipse Downloads

===

For ubuntu, I'd recommend geany
        Geany : Releases

or, you could install by using terminal

>sudo apt-get install geany

Comment

Ya i remember using eclipse now, that was the other one I was thinking of! Thanks! And added.
          Originally posted by Osource View Post
          I think that Eclipse is one the best IDE's out there (I'm probably biased b/c it's my first IDE, haha)

Anyway, its open source, and can run on Windows, Macs, and Linux

download link:
          Eclipse Downloads

===

For ubuntu, I'd recommend geany
          Geany : Releases

or, you could install by using terminal

>sudo apt-get install geany
          Retired and happy :)

Comment

I wanted to stop in here and say Very Nice! I wish this thread Great Success!

:)

Comment

Here's a couple of very good C++ Tutorial sites for those wanting to learn the language. It starts with the basics, it then progresses through Classes and Templates up to introduction of libraries.

http://www.learncpp.com/
              cplusplus.com - The C++ Resources Network

Comment

is there like a c++ coders guide ?

Comment

Originally posted by unqstylez View Post
                  is there like a c++ coders guide ?
                  Check the tutorial websites posted above. They have concise definitions and superb explanations of the language in a way one could easily understand.

Comment

think i'll subscribe to this thread, it's going to come in vey handy, thankyou

Comment

I like using Eclipse for solo projects that I have but I understand Net beans to be the IDE of choice for group collaborations.

Comment

Python

I should encourage everyone to at least try learning Python language. It's humane, easy to learn and very fun.

One can find some awesome books and tutorials, I will especially point out these:
                        1. Nick Parlante's quick video introduction at Google's Python Class
                        2. Mark Pilgrim's Dive Into Python

After that, if you like what you've learned take a glimpse at Django web-framework -- lots of neat stuff there as well ;-) (Also take a look at The Django Book)

P.S. To prove Python's awesomeness here's how you exchange values of two variables 'a' and 'b':
                        a, b = b, a
                        Yes, that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Synth View Post
                          Ya i remember using eclipse now, that was the other one I was thinking of! Thanks! And added.
                          Yeah eclipse is a great JAVA IDE, Borland thought so much they created their JAVA IDE off of eclipse. Oh excuse me not longer Borland, but Embarcadero

Comment

If your fairly experienced with Java another good programming language to try is C#.net. I included the .net so you know it is part of Microsoft's .net coding package. Its syntax is almost indistingishable from Java's but it includes so many extra features.
                            Example: C# allows you to declare pointers & do manual memory mangement much like in C & C+.
                            Since C# is a microsoft .net language it integrates quiet nicely with the rest of the .net package. To develop using C# I would recommend using Visual Studio (microsofts IDE for .net). Both free & paid versions are available...the free version is called Visual Studio Express.

Comment

Java is definitely a great coding language for people of all experience levels, coupled with Eclipse (Or at least EasyEclipse) you can't go wrong.

Even though Java itself can be a bit bloated , resource wise.
                              Last edited by Nom Nom Nom; November 30, 2010, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X