Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What edication did you take to learn coding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What edication did you take to learn coding?

Hello,

Next year I'll strart "Software Sience" in The Netherlands.
    So what did you study?
    Or did you learn the coding yourself?
    and what coding languages can you code in now?
    Last edited by AlltheWay; May 20, 2013, 02:03 PM.

I have taken three years of computer science in school learning the basics of many different coding languages and i am also self taught off of books and websites

Comment

I studied Computer Science at a university. I learned C there (most of their classes were taught in C), but then taught myself C# and ASP.NET using books. Right now, I also know Javascript and a little bit of Python.

I advise you to study programming-related topics on your own. At least in the US, Computer Science is mainly theory and not enough real-world usage. For example, we were never taught topics like unit testing or version control. This will also help you stand out when looking for a job after you finish your studying.

Comment

I agree with what others have stated. in that while you can get some university education, which will help teach a language or two its really to enforce basic theory. Which you then can use as the basis to study new languages, further your theoretical knowledge or add real-world education with self learning. I like some of the other folks studied computer engineering (ADA, C) and learned the web and object oriented languages (Objective-C, etc.) on my own.

Honestly I know some guys that were completely self taught and work as software engineers and architects today. I'm always impressed when I talk to them to see what their up to.

Comment

took two courses in college and learnt everything else via hands on experience or through work. i remember the first time i was asked to work on a project to code in a language i had never learned. granted, it was python and not too hard to pick up :p

Comment

A little late to the thread on this one, but figured I'd add to it. I was completely self-taught until college (started when I was about 15 years old). At the time, the university I attended was teaching an older language that I would never use again, but it definitely laid the foundation and helped me become a better, more organized code writer. School also does a really good job of teaching various coding patterns you will use. I will say, however, that you can easily do all of this on your own without the hefty bills, and achieve a good career in this field. If you teach yourself, work on open source projects, create your own projects, and put together a portfolio of good, solid work, you will get a job, without ever having gone to university and spending an insane amount of money.

Good luck!

Comment

I went to school for a non CS degree. I found a love for coding later in life and used sites like codecademy.com and the many free tutorials on line (MIT's OCW for example) to learn the core concepts.

After that, it was just playing with different codes on a spare computer and eventually learning to do things on your own. I highly recommend sites like stackoverflow for more complex questions should you get stuck.

The key for me has been to enjoy the process of sucking at coding until you get better. Otherwise it can be really frustrating when you can't get something to work.

Comment

Self-taught waaaaayyyy back on 8 Bit machines.

Went to school but it was near useless as they were using old punchreaders... in the 80s. ( One of my teachers was angry I marked the cards as half the 'fun' was figuring out the order/program if you dropped them. )

The vast majority of computer languages today are similar enough, most of the work is learning the specific weirdness each throws in. (AI languages and the like being notable exceptions.)

I've done stuff in Pascal/C(++) all the way to .NET and PHP. Currently, I'm on the net admin side of things so I'm generally limited to scripting outside of hobbyist muddling.

But (IMO) school generally does give you a more structured and rounded approach.

Comment

I am also self taught, In all computer related sciences. I went to I-TT tech for about a year and didn't learn much there, (Just the basics for using a computer, how to reformat, and intro to VB, Basically the things I knew when I got there. After a year I made the mistake of dropping out.,... I.E. owing a full tuition for 4 years when I only attended one. I have learned much on my own and for the past few weeks I have been teaching myself HTML, CSS, and PHP. I aim to add python, C++, and java as soon as possible, Never enough programmers, No matter what code. I use bitspyder to get tuts-plus and Lynda.com vid tutorials And practice in all my free time (When I'm not on T-I anyway). I love it and well be switching from Computer repair to web design by next year. Thanks to T-I and youtube, I don't need to spend all that money at a university, I can just test for my certifications when I'm ready and collect'em all. Thank you internet : )

Comment

I'm self taught, I picked up HTML, CSS , Javascript and PHP from W3Schools and Python from Codecademy, as of now I'm looking for a good place to learn C ++ because everything I've found so far has been crap. I'm intested in CS and I've used some of MIT's open courseware and Udacity. I might go to college later for a CS degree, though I'm not sure as of now.

Comment

Before switching to Business at university, I did two years of Computer Science. I learnt Python, Java, and C++.

Comment

I did a BSc in Comp Science a decade ago... we spent most of our time with Java. Only one subject covered C/C++ , One containing some SQL and a bit of introductory stuff with HTML.

A majority was theory with practical classes containing some simple coding projects but nothing that made me even feel like I was qualified to do anything upon completing the degree...

I learned more post Uni via online tuts and similar. The degree itself was quite disappointing and the only work I ever got out of it was Help Desk style roles.

I did some websites for small companies and friends but never earned much after teaching myself DHTML, CSS, JS and Photoshop... Probably could have gotten into the industry but its pretty competitive here and I never tried hard enough...

Comment

I studied computer science in college, got my BS in it. Mostly used C++. Mix of theory and coding, mostly theory but I did get some nice projects under my belt that I was proud of, actually still kind of proud of too.

Now that I'm out of school, my job has me doing PL/SQL, which I didn't even know existed. But I'm coding on the side for fun, so I don't get too rusty and can keep learning. I didn't learn as much as I should've in school, and you can always learn more. My side projects are usually in C++, but I'm 'learning' Java to get into Android development.

Comment

Studied in university for 5 years to get my Master of Science in Computer Engineering. Mostly use C and assembly as I work with embedded systems.

Comment

I'm just about to get my bachelor's degree at electrical engineering, and we've had some courses in Python, C and VHDL. I've also been working this summer as an embedded software trainee and have learned more in two months than I had in my three years of studying. I also learned C# during these two months.

In general, I've learned to code by doing things myself, not at school. I started with Lua when I was still in high school because I wanted to make WoW addons and since then I've messed around with HTML, CSS, Javascript, jQuery, PHP, MySQL, Python, C and C++.

Comment

Working...
                              X