Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to advice a friend getting started with programming.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What to advice a friend getting started with programming.

    Hey guys,

    My friend wants to get started with programming languages, his computer skills are fair and he definatly has the brain capacity to get there (IMO ofc, i could be off :P).
    My big problem was him asking me where to start... to be honest i jumped in at C++ went to C# and then to Java so i'm actually not the kind of person that did it in a neat orderly fashion or whatever.

    So my question is, does anybody know any full tutorials/courses etc., as broad as possible (think a full blown course would be best for him), think he'll get bored with just a book so some movies, audio, exercises (the ones that don't jump from "hello world" to "Create your own program, right now!" lol).

    I've been browsing around a bit myself but i seriously draw a blank as to what to advise him and what to give to him (and in which order from easy starter course to advanced languages).

    If it's up to me i'll most likely end up giving him a book or a course that will make me into a helpdesk center so lol, someone advice me :P.

    I'm on pretty much every (geekish :P) elearning trackers so just shoot me with whatever you think would be helpfull (maybe something you learned it with yourself or something ripped right from Uni courses).

    Thanks in advance ^_^


    sigpic
    _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
    '=-._








  • #2
    Originally posted by Cerberusj View Post
    Hey guys,

    My friend wants to get started with programming languages, his computer skills are fair and he definatly has the brain capacity to get there (IMO ofc, i could be off :P).
    My big problem was him asking me where to start... to be honest i jumped in at C++ went to C# and then to Java so i'm actually not the kind of person that did it in a neat orderly fashion or whatever.

    So my question is, does anybody know any full tutorials/courses etc., as broad as possible (think a full blown course would be best for him), think he'll get bored with just a book so some movies, audio, exercises (the ones that don't jump from "hello world" to "Create your own program, right now!" lol).

    I've been browsing around a bit myself but i seriously draw a blank as to what to advise him and what to give to him (and in which order from easy starter course to advanced languages).

    If it's up to me i'll most likely end up giving him a book or a course that will make me into a helpdesk center so lol, someone advice me :P.

    I'm on pretty much every (geekish :P) elearning trackers so just shoot me with whatever you think would be helpfull (maybe something you learned it with yourself or something ripped right from Uni courses).

    Thanks in advance ^_^
    C++ + Java = C#.Net . Don't waste your C#.Net C++ is better .
    Use some forums and sites like planet-source-code and pudn and ... and implement new programs that is in your mind

    Comment


    • #3
      Hehe that was actually not what i was asking for :P

      I'm pretty much done myself, i need starter courses for my m8 building up from an easy language to harder and so on.

      So no forums or whatever, i can link people to that myself but that's for more advanced practice IMO.

      He'd be better off with a serious study courses to get to know the languages first, i just have no idea which courses to get for him.

      Thanks for the feedback though but i'm still looking for substantial in depth courses, say what you get if you attend a school specificly pointed towards programming languages from software engineering to gamedesign whatever, he just needs to follow the line from newbie to programmer, if you catch my drift :).

      So i'm pretty much looking for a/multiple full courses taking him "From Zero to Hero" lol.

      ---------- Post added November 17th, 2012 at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was November 16th, 2012 at 03:04 PM ----------

      Anyone? I found some stanford video lectures but they seem a bit dated (2009/2010) and a C++ vid tutorial from lynda but that's about it, looking for something in that corner though, full courses with excersises for any language (C++, C#, Java, Python, whatever, aslong as it's newish and easy to step in to and finish for a beginner :) ).

      Any suggestions are appreciated ^_^


      sigpic
      _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
      '=-._







      Comment


      • #4
        try thegeeks.bz and tutez4all.net, which is video tutes only (and also public)

        Comment


        • #5
          I think Python would be an easy language to start a programming career with. Check out Codecademy, they have a nice Python tutorial with interactive excercises.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Curiolio View Post
            try thegeeks.bz and tutez4all.net, which is video tutes only (and also public)
            Got the geeks. BitMe etc., it's just that i can't find full courses :P. Gonna check out the public tracker aswell, doubt it'll have more but it's really hard to pick beginner courses, there are some for dummy books but they get you nowhere IMO (Plus they make weird programming step jumps, from a "hello world" base directly to OOP programming and back to the basics is not writing a beginners book [MENTION=91542]Ford[/MENTION]ummies! lol).
            Alot of other "for beginner" modules I passed by aren't that beginner oriented at all, they cover all the basics but start throwing in slang from the get go and stuff, that can be a bit hard for a pure beginner.

            I found a CEH module which is extremely usefull, even for a beginner, it's not about programming though, its about white hat hacking but i'm looking for something like that or just a full blown course ripped from some Uni or something.


            sigpic
            _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
            '=-._







            Comment


            • #7
              Online Courses from the World's Experts | Udemy is excellent for full courses. it's not a tracker, obv, but it relaly sounds like you're looking for something more in line with online ed.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by huuveri View Post
                I think Python would be an easy language to start a programming career with. Check out Codecademy, they have a nice Python tutorial with interactive excercises.
                Thnx i'll check that one out, useful for me aswell since i've never written anything in .py while it's often used in irc clients and such ;).

                Originally posted by Curiolio View Post
                Online Courses from the World's Experts | Udemy is excellent for full courses. it's not a tracker, obv, but it relaly sounds like you're looking for something more in line with online ed.
                Myeah but that costs money :P, might aswell send him to a normal school then lol.

                The CEH module i got is from EC-Council CEH Certified Ethical Hacker v7.1 Training - OnDemand Learning yet very very free :P, but indeed i'm looking for something easy for him to get into so a full module would be best i assume, now to find one uploaded somewhere ;)


                sigpic
                _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
                '=-._







                Comment


                • #9
                  SICP, the ubiquitous computer science textbook by MIT, is freely available online.
                  Otherwise, computer architecture and assembly are a good place to start.
                  If he wants to "do stuff" fast, JS + JQuery is the easiest way to get something simple and rewarding like a 2d platformer up and running.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wowrkule View Post
                    SICP, the ubiquitous computer science textbook by MIT, is freely available online.
                    Otherwise, computer architecture and assembly are a good place to start.
                    If he wants to "do stuff" fast, JS + JQuery is the easiest way to get something simple and rewarding like a 2d platformer up and running.
                    Thanks i'm going to download the MIT textbook.

                    What kind of Achitecture and assembly tutorials would you suggest?
                    Think video would be best but books would work aswell (i think i have a few old ones laying around even).

                    I already downloaded some JS + JQuery stuff for him that i found usefull aswell :).


                    sigpic
                    _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
                    '=-._







                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cerberusj View Post
                      What kind of Achitecture and assembly tutorials would you suggest?
                      Think video would be best but books would work aswell (i think i have a few old ones laying around even).
                      There's a really good course where you build a virtual computer from scratch, starting from logic gates and ending with a programming language you write the compiler for. All of that is written by yourself, emulated on your computer. Link

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by wowrkule View Post
                        There's a really good course where you build a virtual computer from scratch, starting from logic gates and ending with a programming language you write the compiler for. All of that is written by yourself, emulated on your computer. Link
                        That's a great architect guide! :D

                        First time i see it.

                        I'm pretty much looking for the same kind of thing (maybe some video added) for his (visual) C++, Java and maybe C sharp or something. Just want to get him a nice and easy transit from zero to hero, i struggled alot diving in c++ right away, it eventually worked out but still ^_^.


                        sigpic
                        _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
                        '=-._







                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think that the most important thing for a starting programmer is to find a way to apply the skills that is interesting to you. Everything else can follow.

                          For example, I taught myself C# in high school so that I could write bots for World of Warcraft. It wasn't a very easy goal, but at least it kept me interested. My first application that I gave to the community was a simple chat bot. That was a good way to learn about variables, strings, and logic. The next bot I made simply killed a mob after I targeted it. A year later I was working on full blown bots that could farm and quest on their own. The point is that he needs something that is going to keep your interest, a goal.

                          I would suggest that he starts learning from tutorials online, which are easily found through Google searches. There are tons out there for every language. If there is anything he wants to do, say downloading a file, he could type in "download a file in C#" into Google and there is likely a tutorial for it. Getting a primer book on the language he chooses is important too, but I would stick to online resources at first. A thick, heavy programming book, while containing the most information, is very intimidating at first, and hard to follow along unless you have some basic idea of what you're doing.

                          I wouldn't suggest YouTube videos, I personally hate trying to learn from them. It is far easier to see the code all spelled out on a page and decipher it, than trying to follow along with a video.

                          Tell him to go in and get his hands dirty programming. The true learning comes later and will take many years to develop. But unless he learns to enjoy programming first, to see results from his work, programming will not be as enticing as it once sounded.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I remember those bots, i wrote one for Runescape wen i was younger, it basicly fished lobsters all day and deposited in the bank, i checked it once a day and sold all of it and hit the program to run again :P.

                            I found loads of stuff for him already from beginner to expert and branching out in pretty much every direction (software/gaming etc. etc.), i picked up pretty much every language i could find so he could check out what he enjoys most, added a bookmark.html file with sites i found for him and ALOT of full video tutorials with project codes etc.

                            I'll most likely be stuck playing helpcenter but atleast he has enough stuff to get started with, if he can't learn it this way i'll definatly advice him to go do something else :P.

                            Thanks for all the help guys ^_^.


                            sigpic
                            _.-=' Special thanks to SiniuS for making me VIP and to Gblaze for graph work :)
                            '=-._







                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I started by going through this training series. Admittingly, I only went through the first 3 DVDs; however, the amount of information I learned was invaluable. It gave me a good understanding of the fundamentals of an object-oriented language, taught me good coding structures, introduced how to use an IDE to your advantage, etc... By the end of those three discs I was able to start writing useful programs of my own. There is also sample code on the discs as well as projects. If you get stuck, the author of the series will even help you out (one free year of support). All of that being said, Delphi is not as popular as C++/C#, but once you learn own language, learning another is not bad at all.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X