Arduino coders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino coders?

I'm not really a coder. But trying to get into it somewhat with small projects here and there on the Arduino.

Just wondering first if anyone plays around with Arduino or similar in this forum?

And if so, what IDE to you use? (Arduino is sorta shitty, it works for me, but I don't like it).

Okay so apparently no tinkerers here?! That's hard to believe. Nobody here uses any kind of microcontroller at all?

Comment

I've done a little research about it and been interested in buying a starter kit for the longest time.. Hard to find some time these days though! But definitely looks interesting.. Heard a lot of good things about the project.

Comment

I like tinkering with Arduino's. Have been some time since my last project but I am planning on creating something new in the near future.

Last time I did an Arduino project I just used their IDE. I didn't think it was that bad but could be a lot better of course. I really like programming stuff that can do physical stuff, like moving ;).

Arduino forums at arduino.cc are pretty active.

What are you creating?

Comment

Is arduino comparable to the Raspbery PI's ? I know that's where all the hype's at nowadays

Comment

Originally posted by glitchyme View Post
            Is arduino comparable to the Raspbery PI's ? I know that's where all the hype's at nowadays
            Yes and no. Raspberry Pi is more like a normal computer and can run Linux and all kinds of software. It's similar to Arduino because of the GPIO pens and I2C interface which can be used to interface with hardware. Raspberry Pi's are comparable to hardware you find in tablets or mediaplayers.

An Arduino is a micro controller and is much slower then a Raspberry Pi and can only run it's own embedded code. Arduino is comparable to microcontrollers found in for instance household appliances such as microwaves, dishwashers and also stuff like toys and thermostats. It's basically an IC (chip) you program with C to do one specific job. It's very low level and low power (both CPU and energy wise). It can also be very small or be integrated on a PCB together with other hardware to be more suited for it's task.

You could use a RPi for most things an Arduino can do but not vice versa.

Can you follow my explanation? It would be no problem to explain more ;-). I really like this stuff. Together with domotica it's my most nerdy hobby. Well I guess Torrenting also qualifies :P.
            Last edited by virusje; January 10, 2013, 08:26 AM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

Okay I follow, but then why are we still hearing about Arduino? It sounds like Raspberry Pi is a lot better, and yet cheaper than Arduino. Also, out of curiosity what sort of stuff have you played around with or done with a either an Arduino or Raspberry PI?

Comment

Originally posted by glitchyme View Post
                Okay I follow, but then why are we still hearing about Arduino? It sounds like Raspberry Pi is a lot better, and yet cheaper than Arduino. Also, out of curiosity what sort of stuff have you played around with or done with a either an Arduino or Raspberry PI?
                Well, like I said. Arduino is still a good choice for certain projects. It just depends on what you want to do.

I mainly just tinkered with Arduino's. Did some stuff with LED's, RFID, Infrared, wireless communication, LCDs, sending text messages. But I am still planning on building some kind of robot. Probably just something with 4 wheels and some distance sensors that can avoid objects. I have a lot of electronics laying around. Even something that would enable to voice control the robot :D.

I did some experiments with my RPi's, tried using it as a webcam server (too slow, have to wait before the camera module is released) and now I installed OpenElec on it, this is a Linux distribution that only runs XBMC. Using it as a mediaplayer. Pretty cool stuff :). It also does AirPlay :).

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Also: a RPi is twice as expensive as an Arduino. And the CPU of an Arduino together with some basic components is enough to get it running. That's like only $8 of components and very compact ;).

Comment

I've played around with Arduino's on a couple of occasions. As soon as a started doing any sort of bigger projects I started using a plugin for Visual Studio that supported Arduino. I can't remember what it was called anymore though, Perhaps visualMicro or something like that?

As for the RasberryPi Vs Arduino thing, I actually think that they are different tools for different jobs. Arduino is more geared towards a lower level of electronics, in my mind, than Pi is. So which one to chose come down to what you want to do with it.

Comment

I think Arduino's are a great tool to learn more about electronics.

Raspberry Pi is a great tool to learn more about embedded Linux systems ;). I think they are both amazing. But it's easier to tinker with RPi's if you have some basic Linux knowledge.

Comment

Oh cool I built a similar type of thing as a College project with the Lego Mindstorm (robot which could move around and avoid objects). Pretty fun project, although probably not as impressive as doing it with something lower level like an Arduino or Raspberry Pi.

You guys may have seen this one, but this sounded strikingly relevant to your LED and text messages projects: MIT Student Invents LED Ice Cubes to Track Alcohol Intake - ABC News

Comment

I have a Netduino which is compatible with most Arduino shields, but uses C# .Net micro framework so you can program in Visual Studio and even debug! It's very nice. I haven't done anything too crazy with it yet but my current project is using it to control a little remote control helicopter.

Comment

I'm using an Arduino and Beagleboard to interface with my nerf machine gun for web control. I use sublime text 2 to edit my arduino code and use the ardunio IDE to compile it and upload it to the board. Fun stuff to tinker with!

Comment

I'm using an Arduino to drive 10 seperate 20 LED strands that reside in a large art installation. I've never done anything like this before, but it's turning out to be very doable.

I'm having a blast! :)

Comment

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking of getting an Arduino or something similar and start playing around with it a bit. I have quite a bit of experience programming in C (windows apps mostly), how hard is the Arduino version of C in comparison to coding desktop applications with C?

Comment

Working...
                              X