X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• triple_prong
    replied
    Re: Java and C++ Help - Urgent

yea you really just want to use a client/server model with all the computers as clients and your 'head' computer as the server. then it should be pretty easy to maintain a list of connected computers, and you could just use a multi-select listbox to let the user select which computers to send it to. (see JList (Java Platform SE 7 b141) )

Leave a comment:

• p2plover
    replied

Originally posted by Synth View Post
    What didn't make sense about the network aspect? Cheesefactory11's link was actually the exact same link I was going to post.

1) Don't convert it to speech right away. You should send it across the network in plain text and then convert it to speech on each client's machine to save bandwidth.
    2) If you want to cut corners you can just use the terminal which is defaulted when using the keyboard as input. If you want to make it fancy then use java swing to program a GUI. Trail: Creating a GUI With JFC/Swing (The Java™ Tutorials)

If you go over those documents then you can't go wrong.

Edit: woops, here's a documentation for the Java Speech API: Object Computing, Inc. - Java News Brief - March*2006
    Thanks buddy, i will tell these things to my sister. Oh.., the network is University network. It`s 100Mb/s LAN. So, sending 512kB or 1MB file will take few seconds. As you told in the 1st fact, it`s hard to install a text to speech software to every PC. I really appreciate your help Synth.. Me and my sister are the only one who know how helpless are we. I can`t bump this thread minute by minute. But i want to (but i can`t, it`s against T-I rules). Because we are really helpless. She`s always saying me "bro, don`t worry. i will try my best to do this as i can".. I`m so unlucky to heard such a sad saying from her. Thanks buddy, thanks a lot!

Leave a comment:

• Synth
    replied

What didn't make sense about the network aspect? Cheesefactory11's link was actually the exact same link I was going to post.

1) Don't convert it to speech right away. You should send it across the network in plain text and then convert it to speech on each client's machine to save bandwidth.
    2) If you want to cut corners you can just use the terminal which is defaulted when using the keyboard as input. If you want to make it fancy then use java swing to program a GUI. Trail: Creating a GUI With JFC/Swing (The Java™ Tutorials)

If you go over those documents then you can't go wrong.

Edit: woops, here's a documentation for the Java Speech API: http://jnb.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbMar2006.html
    Last edited by Synth; May 8, 2011, 03:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• p2plover
    replied

Hello... Anyone there who can help us to overcome this network thing? I show my sister what you guys say here. And cheesefactory11, your guide helps my sister to understand something about java chat program (but still the network part of this project is unsolvable :(( ). If anyone can explain something like cheesefactory11 did, that`s what me and my sister hope from you guys.. I appreciate all helpers.. Thank you all!

Leave a comment:

• cheesefactory11
    replied

For the network stuff, your sister should look at this tutorial, which explains how to send some text over the network. With this she can send pretty much everything over the network.
    Java network tutorial

Leave a comment:

• p2plover
    replied

Originally posted by Dragonx2040 View Post
    Why are you asking people to write your entire project for you? That's not helping. That's just you being lazy.
    Make an attempt first? If you have absolutely no knowledge as you claim, I don't know why you're doing this at all.
    Dude, i`m not asking anything than a help. I don`t want anyone to write or make this program. All want to do is know the way to continue this. Ok, i will tell the story to understand what`s the situation in my sister`s university. Is far from capital of our country. So, the lecturers are rare in the university. When a professor come to university, he or she only continue a lecture and leave the university. My sister have to complete this project if she want to have her degree. Otherwise, she have to leave the university without having a degree. She`s a final year student now. There is no supervisor in university to advice on these projects. Most of students are not doing this project by them slaves. They pay someone who is a master of this programming and complete the project with that person`s knowledge. No one cares how student make this project or is she or he have a knowledge of these. All they want is final project. Me and my sister with her friend are not that kind. We are doing this project by ourselves with a help of you guys. Or someone who know pretty much on this subject. And yes, my sister and her friend is attempting at their best.. That`s why they are able to make text to speech program. My sister ask me to help, because she`s helpless to continue the remaining part. Because it`s hard to complete. That`s why i open a thread here. I`m not trying to copy past someone`s code on sisters project. Is someone give us an idea, we can continue on that path. We won`t work on this project till 11PM, 1AM.., if we are lazy.. Please guys, try to understand. If i have know something about Java, then i won`t ask you guys to help me/us.. I will help my sister by myself. As i do in other PC related problems. If you guys can give us a way to do this, that`s what i hope. I won`t ask you guys to complete this project for us. All i`m asking is just show us a way to carry on. :( :(

Originally posted by pH4ze View Post
    Then how are you going to complete the project? If you had a specific problem I'm sure people would be willing to help but I don't think you're going to find someone to do the whole thing for you :D If you really have no idea then my first piece of advice would be to pick up a book (or e-book) on programming in your chosen language and read it.
    I`m not the one who carry on this project. I`m just trying to help my sister by saying a way to continue. I don`t know anything about Java. All i know is how the finishing should happen. I describe that with my own words in the first post of this thread. I can learn java by reading and watching e-books and pretty much tutorials. But time can`t stop. She have to complete this project before few weeks from today. We are still working on 1st step, which is text to speech part. It`s almost done. The thing called socket programming is the part that we have no idea. I searched a lot on the internet to find a solution. I found something and i show them to my sister. She says that this is how our project also likely should be.

(PS:- Sorry, i`m not good at English)

Leave a comment:

• pH4ze
    replied

Originally posted by p2plover View Post
    [SIZE=4]I have no idea about Java programming or C++ programming,
    Then how are you going to complete the project? If you had a specific problem I'm sure people would be willing to help but I don't think you're going to find someone to do the whole thing for you :D If you really have no idea then my first piece of advice would be to pick up a book (or e-book) on programming in your chosen language and read it.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonx2040
    replied

Why are you asking people to write your entire project for you? That's not helping. That's just you being lazy.

Make an attempt first? If you have absolutely no knowledge as you claim, I don't know why you're doing this at all.

Leave a comment:

• dantearouet
    replied

You're doing networking without any programming knowledge? That's... hard to believe. Or is it just her final, and shes the one that knows it? Anyway, I'll give whatever scraps of info I can.

Computer network names (not IP addresses, but still accessabile as if you had them), can be gotten through doing "net view > list.txt". list.txt will then contain all the computer names on the network. It'd be a good idea to read the file and test each computer. You might be able to do the sending and playing using simple ftp commands. This would, however, require all of the computers that weren't the main ones to be running ftp server software, which seems kinda backwards, but it'd work. Then, I think that there's a way to make the ftp software perform some sort of action on the transferred files once completed. You'll have to hack around with the documentation to know just how to do it. Since you have the objective, you could compile ftp from source, then hardcode something like "system("music_payer new_file.mp3);", where music_player is the program that will play new_file, the words just sent. This isn't the most elegant way of doing it, and you should do some checks to make sure it's the correct file type, etc.

Leave a comment:

• p2plover
    replied

Guys, please we need your help. 2nd and 3rd steps are the most hard steps to handle. Please, post something here related to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• p2plover
    started a topic Java and C++ Help - Urgent

Java and C++ Help - Urgent

Hello guys and Girls!

My Sister and i have to complete a project. I`ll explain the situation, so you guys can tell me (us) the way to start and carry on. We both have to plan an alert system for university network. This is how it should work.

1. There`s a main machine in a network. Someone type a message there. Message will convert to voice (using text to speech program). <This part is not that much important, me and my sister can handle this with a help of another friend, if you guys have any idea about this, please post here too>

2. There should be an interface to send the message (Text to speech voice clip) to specify PC in the network. To one PC or few PCs or all PCs at the same time.

3. The PC in the network that receives the voice clip (or the PCs in the network that receives the same voice clip) should play the voice clip just after receive it. As an Alert or with a pop up window.

4. After playing the file for while (maybe one or 2 times), alert system can close itself. <This part is an extra thing, you can ignore helping this part if the planning become bit advance>

All PCs are in a same network. Connect by a router or a network hub. So the IP addresses will be 192.168.1.xxx . The IP address that given for each PC is statistic. So, IP address can use as the ID of each PC. That`ll help to identify each PC from other PCs.

So, hope you guys understand what we want to do. I have no idea about Java programming or C++ programming, but my sister. Me and my sister have to do this as the final project of her university exams. If someone can help us on this, that`d be a great relief to complete this project as soon as possible. I think there should be 2 softwares. One for Main PC <to select PCs for send the message>, and one for PCs which receive the alert message <to recognize the message and play it as an alert>. Any kind of help regarding to this is very helpful for us. If you guys want more information to help us, please feel free to ask me here or by PM. Guys, any help would be grateful.. Thank you!
Working...
X