Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a Sixth Sense?

What is a Sixth Sense?

A sixth sense is a sense beyond the conventionally accepted five physiological senses of sight, hearing, smell, taste, and touch. Many people use the term “sixth sense” to describe an especially sensitive sense of intuition or perception which allows people to predict events or pick up on subtle cues which others miss. People also sometimes describe extra-sensory perception (ESP) as a sixth sense, stressing the idea that the sixth sense is paranormal in nature.

In fact, researchers have discovered several physiological senses beyond the well-known five. For example, equilibrioception, the human sense of balance, is sometimes termed a sixth sense. Researchers have also discovered a special structure in the nose called the vomeronasal organ which appears to act as a sixth sense, picking up on specific hormone signals. In 1999, researchers at Harvard suggested that humans might have communicated with hormone signals at some point in their evolutionary history.

True physiological sixth senses aside, some people believe that the more ephemeral version of the sixth sense allows people to predict the future, sometimes with varying degrees of success. When someone has an especially prescient hunch, for example, someone may say that he or she has “a sixth sense.” The sixth sense is also used to explain paranormal phenomena like clairvoyance, the believed ability to see into the future. In this sense, people may also use the term “second sight” to describe the sixth sense.

Numerous studies have been conducted on the sixth sense, to discover whether or not people really can predict things. Most of these studies have concluded that in the sense of a prediction or hunch which cannot be explained with rational means, the sixth sense does not exist. However, some people are very good at identifying subtle cues in a situation which they can use to their advantage, and people with less perceptive personalities might mistake this skill as a sixth sense.

One of the most common pieces of evidence mustered to support the idea of the sixth sense is an apocryphal story about a friend of a friend who “got a bad feeling” and acted on it, avoiding some calamitous fate. This is an example of a cognitive bias known as the confirmation bias, which leads people to discard data which does not confirm their beliefs. For every bad feeling which pays off, in other words, people have many more bad feelings and hunches which never amount to anything, but they forget about these bad feelings and focus on the one which confirmed their belief in uncanny intuition.

Source:
    What is a Sixth Sense?
    Proud Friend Of: Smack, ffzeldaf, Mackenna, SpeedKing, InsanePinoyBoy, Sirius, Specialized, JackFlash, SiniuS, ASH, Kevin, Arakasi, redrat, Allice, Mojito, extJSDB, smurfelina, iphonekhsc, Nicholaros11, Buben, Baskey, Bogbog, Itchant, Kyllah, Boxer, metabolism, mate88, bergstein, lllBill, Keyser_soz, Tongkat_Ali, Splendid, PROXIE, PROMOTER, LabChimp, Enon, Pejioto, Zener, FC_Mra, Cynic, banned_, ECh3LON, HuwaiiMan, Free, ghost6945, Kvothe, Orochi, Sora, Vivident, Xeno, Useless, pt5211314, lisitsar, bebo, BleakHeart, BigBunny, aerow

Learning and Sharing Knowledge on TI.And Making Some Nice Friends.

DO VISIT THIS THREAD TO SHARE AND GET SOME INFORMATION.
    http://www.torrent-invites.com/enter...tml#post654597
    MindFucks. Test your Mind
    http://www.torrent-invites.com/enter...our-brain.html

This article is highly interesting. Balance being a sixth sense kind of makes sense.
    I believe a sixth sense could also be knowing when you are being looked at.
    Favorite communities: PTP|BTN|DB9|WCD|AB|bB|iTS|SciHD|BME|PLD|GG|GFT|
    “Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.” - Carl Sagan

Comment

Yeah, one should try to use it...

Comment

I loved the article, thank you so much. Now, time to develop that sixth sense lol

Comment

I find this article to be quite informative and helpful to know about the sixth sense. Thanks!

Comment

I want to have six sense i will be very cool guy then! lol

Comment

Great post.
              Thanks. :p

Comment

My six sense is feeling when the trackers are open.

hmmm..... FTN is open atm.......

Comment

My sixth sense is when to do something and not.
                  Its otherwise called, common sense:)

Comment

Ok ... an interesting, informative and fun-to-read post.
                    Now, how can u find this kind of stuffs ? :(
                    Why it's always u, who is the informer... dude, no offence.. pure jokes.. :)

Comment

A Good article if you like mysteries =)
                      Thanks for sharing

Comment

I think sixth sense exists and it is a big part of our reality...

Comment

very interesting article.. I guess I have them.. XD

Comment

I believe in 6th sense based on my personal experiences. I don't have any explanation for it but it works when it happens.

- while watching a baseball game, i felt that the bat is going to break and told my friend. In the very next swing, the bat broke and both of us freaked out.
                            - in the same game, i had a hunch that the next hit was going to be a home run and that came true too.
                            - i was in a car and my friend was using his iphone to look up something while driving and I had a bad feeling that it is not a good idea to use the phone. I told him but he ignored it and within the next 5 minutes, we got in to an accident. Even though he has used his phone in the past while driving, i never got that feeling about not to use the phone while driving.

I get these hunches sometimes several times in single day and then weeks pass before i get another set of them.

The article mentions that we remember only the ones that come true and forget about the ones where nothing happen. In my personal experience, the ones that come true have always been thoughts or hunches which came out of nowhere and had a strong feeling. However, whenever I try to guess something or hoping to identify if something might happen, the results of such exercises have never been better than the toss of a coin. I have gotten better at identifying and not ignoring these hunches but I still keep ignoring them every once in a while and repent about it afterwards.

Comment

Police in America actually use people who claim to have the sixth sense during their investigations. Some people with a sixth sense have actually found out where the victim is, and how the murderer looked like. P

Comment

Working...
                              X