X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Night in D'Hara

A Night in D'Hara

It had been a dark and stormy night, but the rains were finally slowing as Ernie stepped from the eaves of what some people would call a guard post. Not brilliant people, but some. "Hey Willy, " he called as he kicked the bundle propped up against the post, "Get up." The bundle stirred and a lanky man unraveled his cloak as he stood. "What?" "The rain is stopping." "You woke me up for that?!" Willy was beginning to regret ever coming to this collection of shacks the local lord called a village. The village was founded not long ago and was very poor; the villagers didn't even have proper crops yet.

"No you daft fool. Lord Midnight!" Ernie hissed through clenched teeth. Indeed, the lord was turning his gelding toward them. "Good evening to you, my lord, " Ernie said as he saluted. Willy snapped to attention beside him. "What? Oh yes, yes. Fine weather for we're having," the young lord replied." Midnight was not the brightest of lords. "I've come to inspect my new fortifications." Looking past the lone guard post to the wilderness beyond, Willy was confused - though not an unusual situation for him. "What new fortifications?" "Why my new loose stones," Midnight replied earnestly, "the salesman guaranteed they would stop any army." "Very good my lord," Ernie shooting Willy a look to shut him up, "I'm sure they will work just fine." The lord wondered away without saying another word, but there were more important things to be done. Willy rattled his bag of coppers and his dice cups. It seemed as the night would not be wasted after all.

"If I win this toss," Ernie shaking the dice in their cup, "you owe me two gold pieces." "What's that " Willy pointed off into the distance. "Five Crosses! I win again; pay up." "No. Ernie. What's that?!" The thunder of horses and the shrill cries of the approaching marauders could clearly be heard in the distance. "Willy, I hope that salesman was an honest one."

Hours later and fires were still burning. The smell of blood and death hung heavy in the air as the dawn sun peeked over the edge of the valley. The villagers' eyes held shock and disbelief at the sight of their ruined homes and anger when directed at Ernie. Gathering at the edge of the town square, the villagers stood in silence as the the lord's private messenger read the names of the dead. When the crier read Willy's name, tears came to Ernie's eyes. "You still owe me two gold pieces, mate."

--------------------------------------------

The conquest system is open to all. Just click on the "Conquest" Link at the top of the forum Come join us. Have your own story to tell? Thought the story was stupid? Sound off below.

sigpic

New News: New News: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 1
    Old News: OiNK Founder Acquitted
    News in the Making: T-I: The Story - Part III: The Gatekeepers 2 (2%)

first of, great post, great story.
    i´d like to point out a few things i found:

" Midnight was not the brightest of lords. " <<<rofl

here´s a little "mistake" that i have corrected:

"If I win this toss," Ernie shaking the dice in their cup, "you owe me two gold pieces." "What's that " Willy pointed off into the distance. "Five Crosses! I win again; pay up." "No. Ernie. What's that?!" The thunder of horses and the shrill cries of the approaching marauders could clearly be heard in the distance. Ernie shivered in fear "it´s Daves mercenarys."

---------------------------------
    i have a pretty wild imagination and if it´s requested, i´ll make a "empire of dave" story. only wicked version and absolutely (maybe) true. it would be called "DUDE, WHERE´S MY HORSE" (<<< sequel to "dude, where´s my car?" )
    rofl
    Last edited by oo00oo; February 27, 2010, 08:03 PM.

Comment

AfterMidnight! This was well thought out and I got a laugh at the stones on the ground, but hey they defend me quite well actually =P
      Retired and happy :)

Comment

Wow amazing story AM, the descriptive language is astonishing.
        Upon reading the thread title i was like this sounds interesting why D'Hara.
        Well it is an amazing story, i enjoyed it thanks for sharing. Also i agree with Synth the pebbles on the ground are an excellent safe guard.
        Also love you owe me 2 gold pieces, lol classic.

Love reading your masterpieces AM, keep em roll'n in.

In the name of the best within me, I radiate a light by which others may see their own way in dark streets of life while I pursue my quest for excellence with an urge to serve others at whatever cost as I rise to the occasion, staying true to my ideals, beliefs and commitments and as the heroes of all time have guided me by example, so shall I guide you with my strength and dedication to persevere and endure all responsibilities on this trail of bliss and perfection-the path of The Exalted.

Comment

Working...
        X