This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more cigarettes for me

It's been almost three years (two month shy), since I started smoking cigarettes. It all started when I got released from jail after some redneck POS cops illegally searched my car and found marijuana (the case was later dismissed). As soon as I got out of jail (which took almost 2 days) the first thing I did was go to a gas station and picked up some Marlboro Red 100s, they were my first cigarettes ever to smoke (never smoked Red 100s besides then). After about a year of smoking my habit grew to about a pack a day.

Four days ago I decided I wanted to quit, I was tired of poisoning myself and spending almost $200 a month to do so.

I smoked so often there's so many old habits to break; smoking while driving, after smoking pot, while browsing forums/the internet, while in between classes, and of course at the bars or any parties.

I'm about half way through my fourth day of quitting cold turkey. I'm trying to completely get rid of any nicotine/oral fixation, so no gum, toothpicks, or anything like that. Any time I crave a cigarette I just remind myself I don't actually want one, I'm just bored and used to old habits.

It hasn't been too difficult so far, I'm also still smoking pot, which definitely helps. Anybody have any tips, tricks, or success stories?

Stay busy I quit for 6 months about 2 years ago and keeping my hands and brain occupied helped. Also avoid stressful situations and people, I started smoking again after an incident with a stressful person and never underestimate how much one cigarette ruins the whole quitting process.
    Known by few but respected by all, he has no enemies as none dare to cross him.
    He is the only living being to strike fear into the one that possesses the all mighty roundhouse kick. He is,
    The Exalted.

sigpic

Comment

Good luck with quitting, I've tried giving up several times and failed each time.
      I've tried alsorts, patches, gum prescribes drugs and each time nicotine gets the better of me.
      Thanks to claripal for reping me in :)

Comment

Its been almost a year since I quit cold turkey. A very important part for me was telling my friends(most of who are smokers) to try not to smoke around me. Also, whenever I craved a cigarette, i just went online and looked for a couple of ill effects of smoking, and that generally put me off. It isn't really very difficult, and once you're through about a month, the hardest part will be over. I also stopped smoking weed along with cigarettes, as I had a habit of smoking both together, and I thought that smoking weed would make me crave for cigarettes more. I also didn't feel the need to take any sort of gum etc. to help me quit. Just go with whatever works for you, and as Dan said, dont cave in and go for that one cigarette. As times passes, it will only get easier. Best of luck!
        Residing in the deepest catacombs, his all-seeing eye roams everywhere. Hurting the heinous, helping the destitute and lavishing bonbon among the children, he now requires assistance to advance this noble cause. Toiling since the dawn of time, I have proven myself worthy to join his ranks. Worthy to become, The Exalted.

Comment

I have heard that smoking (Nicotine) is one of the hardest drugs to quite once addicted. Due to the frequency of the cravings,

get up in the morning---smoke
          have a coffee---smoke
          driving the car---smoke
          at the bar---- smoke
          alcohol---smoke
          need something in your hand---smoke

Some of your craving times may be the same others different. My dad smoked for 30 years and recently quite, with him it was a need to have something in his hands, now for better or worse he is addicted to sunflower seeds. :)

What ever happens best of luck, it won't be easy so stay strong.
          JustJenna, TankGirl, Forbidden have passed muster ;)
          Thanks to CerealGOAT for introducing me to Seedboxes and Mastercox for Avatar
          http://i45.tinypic.com/33l2xds.gif
          And to add iGiver and http://i44.tinypic.com/35k4d2h.gif when appropriate.

Comment

i m trying to quit also.I ve smoked for almost nine years.I recommend allen carr's book or audio book on how to quit smoking, buy it its worth it (whats that? pirating? - never heard of it). The thing is i still havent succeded quitting (i still didnt listen to the whole audiobook) but i ve managed to reduce them considerably . I gave a friend of mine the audiobook and she quit smoking.
            I guess is still a matter of will and motivation and i m not very good at it sadly.
            well, good luck and let us know how things turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrInternet View Post
              Stay busy I quit for 6 months about 2 years ago and keeping my hands and brain occupied helped. Also avoid stressful situations and people, I started smoking again after an incident with a stressful person and never underestimate how much one cigarette ruins the whole quitting process.
              Thank you for the advice sir. :) I know how rough it, so after two years of not smoking you were still having urges? Or did a friend offer you one and you thought you could just smoke the one?

Comment

Originally posted by bonnieboo View Post
                I have heard that smoking (Nicotine) is one of the hardest drugs to quite once addicted. Due to the frequency of the cravings,

get up in the morning---smoke
                have a coffee---smoke
                driving the car---smoke
                at the bar---- smoke
                alcohol---smoke
                need something in your hand---smoke

Some of your craving times may be the same others different. My dad smoked for 30 years and recently quite, with him it was a need to have something in his hands, now for better or worse he is addicted to sunflower seeds. :)

What ever happens best of luck, it won't be easy so stay strong.
                Everything you said describes me, except replace the coffee with adderall (which I'm prescribed). Adderall makes me want to smoke cigarettes (and pot) constantly, I feel like I have to be doing something, and nothing was better than having a cigarette in my hand. I haven't yet drank, been to any bars, or parties since I quit but TBH I may just stay in this weekend. A good amount of my friends smoke, and I don't know if I'll be able to drink without smoking.

Edit: Bah sorry didn't realize posts don't auto merge.
                Last edited by itsjohnny; February 24, 2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Nobody can help you but itsjohnny, it's you who could help yourself. Take my word, simply quit one time rather than finding excuses like trying to taper off the habit and then quitting . It never works that way. Many people don't realize, it's quite difficult to quit. Drugs and Alcohol are easier to quit as the craving lasts for just a few days to say two weeks atmost. But after you abstain from smoking, the real desperate situation starts only after say two to three weeks. That's the time you need to be strong. The temptation to start again shouldn't last more than two months though. That's how it was in my case. I smoked ciggs and weed for thirteen years before I quit one time in August, 2000. I've never taken even a single drag ever since.

And don't start again because of some tension or problems. Problems and tension are never going to leave you till your death. So once you quit you never go back to it. So, if you succeed come back and post in your thread and a shiny +igiver is all yours. Good luck !!

One last word. Quit only if you want and not because your loved ones want you to.

Comment

I quit smoking about 8 years ago. I felt way better and have way more money because of it.

Comment

yeah..it causes bladder,lung,stomach and oral cancer..take it from me,a doc

Comment

I guess stopping oneself from smoking requires a lot of discipline... which could only be done by the smoker himself. Glad you got rid of your smoking habbits, let's hope more people in the society would do the same. Somehow cigarrette makers are top money makers.

Comment

Good on ya buddy, I'm still smoking and haven't tried quitting yet. I'd say I've been inhaling tar for about two and a half years and I'm also quite a pothead as well (probably been smoking weed for the better half of 4 years.)

Almost all of my friends smoke cigarettes and this is definitely one habit that is contagious. I'd say the hardest obstacle for me when it comes to quitting would definitely be my friends constantly smoking in front of me.

I do, however, have a friend who quit cold turkey (he's been clean for months, probably close to a year now.) He said that giving a little oral fixation (he usually sucked on lollipops) is really what kept him from falling over the deep end sometimes.

Just remember this at your darkest times: you don't NEED it.

Comment

Ok i have been smoking cannabis for over 10 years now......from time to time i quit ciggs in between as i smoke cannabis medicinally, but a quick thing you can try.....and mind you this doesn't work for everyone wake up in the morning and start puffing away and dont stop until you finish your pack...if you do that fast enough you WILL feel sickly a bit.....thats what your looking for....after that for a short while ciggs should become disgusting to you and using that reinforcement you should have a way easier time making it to week 1 no smoking, After about a week without puffing you control the urges not the other way around.....shoot to go one week....after that.....shoot to go one week...break the time into manageable sections, forever is so permanent which is what makes that mental glitch thats' so hard to overcome. I'm quitting myself again ...and would love to hear if this works out for you.
                            Last edited by Equavious; March 8, 2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

If you've got an addictive personality, which I'm guessing you have considering that smoking weed is one of your coping methods.

Going cold turkey won't work. Tried it myself and felt the urge to kill within 24hrs.

I went with nicotine patches, which are pretty good. Stops the urge to kill, but you will spend about 2 weeks thinking that you're forgetting to do something.

I managed 4 months , which considering I'd been a smoker from 13 yrs old, was pretty good. But I enjoy alcohol and drugs too much and it was only a matter of time, before I slipped up.

If you enjoy that side of life, then don't even bother trying. If you're looking to clean up then this is the best way!

Comment

Working...
                              X