SD Card Recommendations for Chromebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Card Recommendations for Chromebook

I'm looking for some input from you Tech heads out there. I just bought my daughter a 11.6" Samsung Chromebook 2. It has a micro SD card slot for expansion, so I'm trying to decide which card to get her. The better question is probably which class of card. It will be either a 64 GB or 128 GB card and I am more concerned about performance than price. That being said, I don't want to spend money on a UHS-l/Class 10 card with 90/50 MBs read/write speeds if there is no real benefit to doing so. So if anyone has any advice as to which class/speed card would be optimal in this situation I would appreciate it.

Basically, if you're not reading/writing 4K video, you can go with lower than Class 10, but really what's the point? C10 64GB cards are only $25.
    When choosing one though, I look at brand and review trends. You want to be looking at Sandisk, G.Skill, Samsung, or Kingston. My pick would be G.Skill though. I've been using their RAM for a very long time and I haven't had any issues. Even if it does go badly, you have a lifetime warranty with them.

Couple options:
    G.Skill 64GB Class 10: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231651
    Sandisk 128GB Class 10: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820173056
    Last edited by Fluttershy; June 24, 2015, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluttershy View Post
      Basically, if you're not reading/writing 4K video, you can go with lower than Class 10, but really what's the point? C10 64GB cards are only $25.
      When choosing one though, I look at brand and review trends. You want to be looking at Sandisk, G.Skill, Samsung, or Kingston. My pick would be G.Skill though. I've been using their RAM for a very long time and I haven't had any issues. Even if it does go badly, you have a lifetime warranty with them.
      Thanks for the reply. I'm not going to be using the card for 4k video and it is definitely going to be a class 10 card I am more referencing the differences in speeds within class 10 cards. For example the 128 GB Sandisk card you linked is $80, but has read/writes speeds of up to 48 MBs. However, if I go with a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro, it has 95/90 MBs read/write speeds and its $60. So my question is in the case of the Chromebook where this will be used basically as an extension of the devices 16 GB SSD would it be better to go with more space and get the 128 GB or would the Chromebook benefit more from the faster speeds of the 64 GB card?

Comment

Are you going to put a lot of data on it? Pictures, movies?
        Is that data going to stay there forever?
        How much are you ready to pay?

If you prefer performance and size: Lexar High-Performance

If you prefer price and performance: PNY Turbo Performance

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCat View Post
          Are you going to put a lot of data on it? Pictures, movies?
          Is that data going to stay there forever?
          How much are you ready to pay?

If you prefer performance and size: Lexar High-Performance

If you prefer price and performance: PNY Turbo Performance
          Money is not the issue. I will pay for whatever works best. The 128 GB cards do not come is high speeds that the 64 GB cards do. So really its a matter of will the Chromebook utilize the higher speeds it makes no sense to forgo the extra space in favor of a faster card if the Chromebook will not gain any performance increase from the faster card. So if the 48 MBs is sufficient for the Chromebook then fine, but if it will get a boost from higher speeds than I will go that route.

I was also considering purchasing a USB 3.0 flash drive and using that, but the Chromebook only has one USB 3.0 drive and I'm not sure I want it to be taken up by the flash drive. Plus I will probably be adding a wireless mouse so that means there would be no USB drive available for use without disconnecting one of the two. But the speed offered by the USB drive over the micro SD card might be worth it.
          Last edited by alkataz; June 25, 2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by alkataz View Post
            Money is not the issue. I will pay for whatever works best. The 128 GB cards do not come is high speeds that the 64 GB cards do. So really its a matter of will the Chromebook utilize the higher speeds it makes no sense to forgo the extra space in favor of a faster card if the Chromebook will not gain any performance increase from the faster card. So if the 48 MBs is sufficient for the Chromebook then fine, but if it will get a boost from higher speeds than I will go that route.
            Well, from what I can tell, the only boost you get is how fast you can read your files (don't really think it makes a difference)

Since the apps can only be installed on the internal drive (not sure), the SD card you will choose will have no influence over the apps performance.

Even if the apps open files from the SD card, there could be others bottlenecks as the coding or the amount of dedicated processor power required to process the files. Unless you edit (500 MB+) or move huge files (1 GB+) on a daily basis, I don't think it will make that big of a difference whether it goes at higher speed or not...

So if it were me, I would pick a 128 GB microSD card (like the ones mentionned before).
            Last edited by GreatCat; June 25, 2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X