I just installed Kodi for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just installed Kodi for the first time

and WOW! I love the interface. I mostly watch TV shows and it looks like Kodi will be a real winner as a replacement for my DVR. Now I just need to find myself a good remote control for it. =)

Any basic tips for a TV-show-watcher using Kodi? I already added my main tv folder as a media source and figured out how to get subtitles.

You can do remote with your phones using available market apps

Comment

Any Windows Media Center-compatible remote should work too.

Comment

Anyone know how it compares to plex?

Comment

Originally posted by socol View Post
          Anyone know how it compares to plex?
          I prefer it over Plex from a UI standpoint. I also had some weird performance issues with Plex but obviously it is also a very popular choice.

Comment

Kodi: original version, open-sources, great performance, many addons, sleek UI, no converting video >> good connection required for streaming.

Plex: forked version from Kodi, account required, support converting + streaming everywhere, no addons, web-UI >> fair performance.

>>> If you want to use it on a seedbox go for Plex. For local Wifi network / PC try Kodi

Comment

Originally posted by CaptPlanet View Post
              I prefer it over Plex from a UI standpoint. I also had some weird performance issues with Plex but obviously it is also a very popular choice.
              Originally posted by eXtreme23 View Post
              Kodi: original version, open-sources, great performance, many addons, sleek UI, no converting video >> good connection required for streaming.

Plex: forked version from Kodi, account required, support converting + streaming everywhere, no addons, web-UI >> fair performance.

>>> If you want to use it on a seedbox go for Plex. For local Wifi network / PC try Kodi
              Well I am using plex currently. Actually I discovered Kodi before I found plex, the main reason for going with plex was the ability to easily stream my content to friends/family(over the internet) and to many devices at once in my house. A console, a samsung smart TV, and several tablets. However the content is more for me than anyone else, I have a HTPC that I just built. I was thinking about continuing with plex, but using kodi for my own viewing on the HTPC. I know kodi is slick and actually allows you to customize the interface so would it be worth doing this or would it cause problems?

Comment

Thanks for the review. I think I will try it.

Comment

Originally posted by socol View Post
                  Well I am using plex currently. Actually I discovered Kodi before I found plex, the main reason for going with plex was the ability to easily stream my content to friends/family(over the internet) and to many devices at once in my house. A console, a samsung smart TV, and several tablets. However the content is more for me than anyone else, I have a HTPC that I just built. I was thinking about continuing with plex, but using kodi for my own viewing on the HTPC. I know kodi is slick and actually allows you to customize the interface so would it be worth doing this or would it cause problems?
                  What problems are you worried about? If the media is available on the network then you can just point Kodi to the media and customize it to your heart's content.
                  I don't see any inherent problem with that idea.

Comment

I'd say just use Kodi for your viewing because of greater performance and leave Plex for others.

Comment

What problems are you worried about? If the media is available on the network then you can just point Kodi to the media and customize it to your heart's content.
                      I don't see any inherent problem with that idea.
                      Yeah from what I can tell there will be no problems. One issue I would have personally is if I was away from my home or on another device I would lose the ability to track what is "watched" and also where in an episode I am. Not the biggest issue but it is a nice feature, one solution I started looking into was the PlexXMBC plugin. Tomorrow I have some free time and I may try it out. It uses an XMBC/kodi front-end with the plex media server back-end and would not have the issue I just said.

Comment

You can use Trakt addons in Kodi to track watched tv and movies.

Comment

You can use Trakt addons in Kodi to track watched tv and movies.
                          Also using Trakt to sync my watched history between devices.

If you connect Kodi with your tv through the HDMI port you can use your tv's remote.

Comment

For remote control needs I can wholeheartedly recommend FLIRC

I use it with my Harmony RC

Comment

Originally posted by StruckyLike View Post
                              For remote control needs I can wholeheartedly recommend FLIRC

I use it with my Harmony RC
                              I may try a Harmony RC, I am currently using a logitech k400

Comment

Working...
                              X