Why ask for a speedtest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why ask for a speedtest?

Almost every inviter is asking for a speedtest, and I was wondering if there is an expectation or requirement regarding (upload)speed when considering to invite somebody. I'm fairly new to the world of private trackers and far as I know, the trackers that I am a member of, do not have speed requirements.
    Moreover although it will be harder, I think it is still possible to maintain a proper ratio with less bandwidth, as an alternative you can always (temporarily) use a seedbox..

So as an inviter do you have upload speed requirements? What is the minimum? And is this because your tracker requires this? What if somebody owns a seedbox?

Speed test requirement is a verification of your identity rather than uploading capability. Other than that, good home connection makes you look better. A seed box can substitute poor connection but it is more like temporary solution by design.

Comment

The speed test could be important part of the decision on sites that are hard to seed. A slow connection could make it harder to keep a good ratio.
      I don't know about everyone else but I always check it against the one in their intro.

Comment

Hi

we ask for a speed test because some trackers are actually quite hard to maintain ratios on unless you know 100% what you are doing (such as cross seeding), take TL for example we know that place is loaded with SeedBoxes who just nab every torrent that comes in then gets rid as soon as peak leech/seed is done, those with a slower than average connection will have a very hard time keeping a good ratio on there. now with that in mind people giving out invites would like some assurance that they can give you the igiver without as much worry that you will be able to keep a good ratio. and as stated above it is also there as a proof of identity what with the timing they were taken.

Kind Regards,
        Marsh
        A big thank you to all the T-I members and moderators that support this site you make it all worthwhile!
        Also my very Special Thanks and appreciations to:

Comment

1. To make sure you are actually from where you say you are from. Useful for checking against the Country Ban List.
          2. To make sure you are the rightful account holder. Like [MENTION=160980]Maximillian[/MENTION] said, inviters will check it against your intro.
          3. To re-assure the inviter than you are capable of holding up a good ratio as a disabled invitee can cause problems for the inviter on some sites.

Personally, it depends on which site people are applying for in my GAs. For FF or IPT, I look for around 1mbit UL or higher because there is tons of freeleech on those sites.
          I have higher requirements for sites that are harder to seed on like BitSpyder and Waffles. Of course, these requirements are arbitrary and not imposed by the tracker.

Hope that helps!!

Comment

As for me, in part it's a test of following instructions. I ask people to use a different site from what most other people use. If they post a speedtest from some other site, I reject them. ;)

Comment

Thanks for the insights. To sum them up:
              -identity verification, to make sure they are the rightful account holder.” Like [MENTION=160980]Maximillian[/MENTION] said, inviters will check it against your intro.”
              -checking against the Country Ban List.
              - better upload speed may be preferable for hard to seed sites

What if somebody has a bad upload connection but states that they know what they’re doing, e.g. stating that they will cross seed?

Comment

I think it's already well explained, if they know what are they doing, they will be taken in count, as for the bad upload speeds, someone may have to explain it better, but from my point of view, it can cause problems but not "THAT" much.

Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post
                  What if somebody has a bad upload connection but states that they know what they’re doing, e.g. stating that they will cross seed?
                  That's what ratio proofs are for :p

Comment

Originally posted by Sacha View Post
                    Someone like this can prove him/herself with ratio proof or tracker profile.

It depends, but to me good tracker profile or TI history supersedes bad connection. What speed can tell is only your seeding ability at the given moment which can be boosted anytime later. In short, speed itself is not that important

Comment

just identity and country.........bad speed......good seedbox.......
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X