Is Earth an Experiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Earth an Experiment?

I think earth is an experiment. I have a suspicion that humans are not a native species to this planet, but rather an invasive species. Somewhere out there is an advanced civilization, planting seeds of life to hospitable planets and they found Earth and Mars. I also suspect that they experimented with Mars first. The current state of Mars tells me that something went wrong. Earth is the second attempt. But why would an advanced civilization bother with these experiments?

What about evolution? While it is fun to humor the possibility of extraterrestrial life forms that have capabilities that exceed that our own, it seems unlikely; it is just as unlikely that we have been contacted. Simply speaking the universe is far too large and we are far too insignificant. Let's assume your premise is true, there is the implication that the more advanced beings are also going to be carbon-based life forms that survive in atmospheres not dissimilar to our own; if that were not the case, why would they send us here? If I recall correctly, the nearest solar system with a planet inside an inhabitable region that we have discovered is several trillion miles away. For perspective, it is several years traveling at the speed of light to reach and everything breaks apart at the speed of light. But still, I won't discount your belief for the same reasons when people bring in gods or whatnot, the claim that they can be infinitely more advanced and perform magic (from our perspectives) or whatnot just reduces all arguments to naught.

Comment

I think Pythagoras is an experiment gone wrong. I have a suspicion that he is not a native species to this forum, but rather an invasive species. Somewhere out there is an idiotic mother and father, planting seeds of life to hospitable forums and they found torrent-invites. I also suspect that they experimented with other forums first. The current state of Pythagoras tells me that something went wrong. torrent-invites is the second attempt. But why would an idiotic mother and father bother with these experiments?

Comment

I laughed my ass off reading this.

Comment

That was HILARIOUS [MENTION=238977]nertplor[/MENTION] :-D lmao..................

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post
            I laughed my ass off reading this.

So did I. Umm.. just for clarity, we're both laughing at the original post, right?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

An experiment you say? All well and good for an x-files script. Or Scientologists maybe. But if we have any pretensions at being serious.. you didn't present any evidence, much less a plausible hypothesis to explain how this situation may have come about. Ex parsimoniae or Occam's razor is a principle used in logic and problem-solving stating that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. In most situations, it will be the simplest theory that is proven to be operant.

More complicated machinations are considerably more rare and there is a burden of proof before anyone can be expected to take them seriously. So I'm going to go with that evolution thing as it has just a tad more evidence and probability behind it.

p.s. the answer is 42

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

ill remember to bring my towel

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

p.s. the answer is 42

[/QUOTE]
              Ill remember to bring my towel

Comment

I read Arthur C Clarke too, infact a lot of people have seen 2001 A space odyssey but are not aware of the rest of the story.
                Read it, it's darn good scifi. Space Odyssey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Someone just watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?
                  Last edited by CAPiTALS; October 28, 2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper View Post

So did I. Umm.. just for clarity, we're both laughing at the original post, right?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof

An experiment you say? All well and good for an x-files script. Or Scientologists maybe. But if we have any pretensions at being serious.. you didn't present any evidence, much less a plausible hypothesis to explain how this situation may have come about. Ex parsimoniae or Occam's razor is a principle used in logic and problem-solving stating that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected. In most situations, it will be the simplest theory that is proven to be operant.

More complicated machinations are considerably more rare and there is a burden of proof before anyone can be expected to take them seriously. So I'm going to go with that evolution thing as it has just a tad more evidence and probability behind it.

p.s. the answer is 42

Actually I was relying to Nertplor

"I think Pythagoras is an experiment gone wrong. I have a suspicion that he is not a native species to this forum, but rather an invasive species. Somewhere out there is an idiotic mother and father, planting seeds of life to hospitable forums and they found torrent-invites. I also suspect that they experimented with other forums first. The current state of Pythagoras tells me that something went wrong. torrent-invites is the second attempt. But why would an idiotic mother and father bother with these experiments?"

It was hilarious.

Comment

Some say he is an experiment gone wrong... Some say he is the result of a broken condom.... All we know about him... He's Pythagorus.....!!!! Ambitious but rubbish!

Comment

Originally posted by dahpatriot View Post
                        Some say he is an experiment gone wrong... Some say he is the result of a broken condom.... All we know about him... He's Pythagorus.....!!!! Ambitious but rubbish!
                        I'm reading this as if it were a movie trailer.

Comment

well....out of the context and the abstraction of the statement of Pythagoras........the topic is deep and crucial ......if you look around......in the land of mysticism.....many talk about that....if we do not like the word "experiment" we can use the word "manifestation".....of that which is not perceivable and conceivable (for example).

We should not take thing for granted..........
                          Last edited by devacha; October 28, 2013, 09:14 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X