Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 - Will you upgrade/install it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 - Will you upgrade/install it?

Hi everyone!

I am planning to upgrade my current PC, and I found myself in this dilema: Install or not install Windows 8?

Is it worth the upgrade? What does everyone think about it?

If you have a touchscreen or at least a trackpad/touchmouse the UX is pretty good, but it's basically a tablet UI. If not, it's a total garbage. On the positive side it has major security improvements, faster boot times as well as better power management.

You just have to weigh those factors for yourself.
    sigpic
    If you need help feel free to PM me, but keep in mind that asking for an invite is not considered help.

Comment

What type of work do you do on your PC? Gaming, Design, Browsing, Office Applications?

Comment

have any significant updates been released for it since it launched? I have win 7 on my lappy but have wanted to try out win 8 on it, just to see if it performs better, plus i need to do a clean install anyway, what do you guys recommend. Are there any pluses over win 7, or am I just better staying with win7. I imagine it's a more stable OS as it's older and most probs and security patches have been released, I'd like to hear someones opinion that took the jump from 7 to 8, and if you did, did you stick with it or revert. Thanks.
        ​"I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?"

Comment

When I buy a good tablet PC, I will.

Comment

I was nervous as well, if history repeats itself we are looking at dealing with another Windows Vista. We have it on a new laptop (not a touch screen), and it doesn't seem that bad, it has some cool features. So far it has not cored or blue screened. I have not seen any stability issues.

I would recommend upgrading.

Comment

No, recently started using linux mint and like it, completely free.

Comment

Eventually I guess we will all have to be on at least Win 8 but until that day comes I will never give up win 7 64B professional. Its rock solid, why change it if it aint broke.

Comment

I gave it a try, its a little bit faster, and boots up a bit quicker then windows 7, but I have it 48 hours and trashed it. Hate the metro UI, Hate that there is no start button unless you install third party software. You have to pay for windows media center. I could go on and on but to answer your question, I'd say stay with windows 7. ^^
                  sigpic
                  "We are Anonymous, We are Legion, We do not Forgive, We do not forget, Expect us."
                  || FAQ || Rules || Ratio Proof Guide || iGiver Guide ||
                  || Want to be a TI DJ? Apply HERE ||

Comment

I try Windows 8 for a week, but i don't like metro UI and shift back to Windows 7.

Comment

I heard a lot about the no start button. I would have thought they would release an update to allow users to enable it or not to help promote it. Big mistake, I will deffo stick with win7 for now then! Thanks guys!
                      ​"I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be "Sir". Do you maggots understand that?"

Comment

I've installed it, after that i must downgrade to win7.
                        If you don't have touchpad, don't think about win8, it very suck without touchpad.
                        I must say again, so suck

Comment

I'm going to stick with Windows 7. Also, funny picture:

Comment

I've had 8 on my primary desktop for a week now and am quite happy with it. The new Start menu doesn't bother me at all. In fact, since right-clicking the Start flag pops up a context menu with several useful items on it, I rather like it.

Also Win 8 makes some tools which were buried in Vista/7 much easier to access. That annoyed the hell outta me in Vista/7, and was one reason I stuck with XP until now.

Comment

I've been using Windows 8 since the beta in August and have had no problems whatsoever. It's more stable and faster than Windows 7 was, it's easier to find some settings that were buried in Vista/7 (as mentioned above), and everything that runs on 7 will run on 8 as well. Searching and opening programs is extremely fast: try pressing the windows key, typing the first few letters of whatever you're looking for and hitting enter.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have paid for an upgrade from 7 since it doesn't really add any functionality.

Comment

Working...
                              X