Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There are some words in my vocabulary I have no idea how it got there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some words in my vocabulary I have no idea how it got there...

A few words that I have almost never used, make their way into my vocabulary at the right time.

I have used these words correctly in a sentence that was perfect:

Lull
    Capricious
    Nomenclature

And my favorite one that annoys the hell out of my friends:

YOLO (You only live once) used correctly in a proper sentence.

IE: I quit my job to start growing marijuana because YOLO. (This is a fake scenario; no need to call the DEA or ask me for prices.)

What are some words you know, but don't know why?

"frack".....to much battlestar. i use it when im around the kids or oldfolks.
    special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
    sigpic
    "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

poo poo...i know why though, cuz im still childish

Comment

I think those words get there because of the reading in our English classes, as such words are ubiquitous there and we were mostly obsequious to our teachers in reading them. (I sometimes confuse the two; they obfuscate and bewilder me.)

I like this thread; I'll be posting here a bit.
        Last edited by MichaelJenkins; October 13, 2012, 03:30 PM. Reason: added a word

Comment

Pulchritude, a very ugly sounding word that means "beauty". Also palindrome, don't use that one much. Finally, ostensibly​ is a nice word, I prefer it to supposedly.

Comment

Semantics is the word I use all the time that pisses off my wife.

Comment

Originally posted by confucious View Post
              A few words that I have almost never used, make their way into my vocabulary at the right time.

I have used these words correctly in a sentence that was perfect:

Lull
              Capricious
              Nomenclature

And my favorite one that annoys the hell out of my friends:

YOLO (You only live once) used correctly in a proper sentence.

IE: I quit my job to start growing marijuana because YOLO. (This is a fake scenario; no need to call the DEA or ask me for prices.)

What are some words you know, but don't know why?
              if you think hard enough, you'll see where u picked up the words. you must have picked them up from society. yolo is hella popular phrase that is easy to pick up.

Comment

Defenestrate.

I don't know where I picked it up, and I don't know why I even remember it.

Comment

colloquially ,came out the other day when I told my manager the phone was for him.

Comment

Originally posted by ZimbabweJim View Post
                    colloquially ,came out the other day when I told my manager the phone was for him.

Colloquially is actually an awesome word.

I'd have to same my random words would be:

Dilly-bobs
                    Facetious

and, probably Wonderrific... my son watches a lot of Super Why. =(

Comment

Diatribe, ensconced, periapt, brobdingnagian, and lilliputian are some fun words. Two of them are from Gulliver's Travels. Oooo, and lodestone. Okay, three from Gulliver's Travels.

Comment

Moved this thread out of the brainstew section. I do not feel that this qualifies as brainstew materia the brainstew section of the forum is for more insightful, intellectual brain stimulating posts

Comment

You can email signup for a free Word of the Day at Dictionary.com: Word of the Day | Definition, Word Origins, and Quotes at Dictionary.com
                          sigpic

Comment

That's funny @mrnewbie as I've been signed up on that mailing list for four years now . I have to say I've come across many a word that I had never seen before on those lists.

Comment

Off the top of my head; signifying a flippant, minimal effort undertaking..
                              Sesquipedalians invariably imbue a tangible affectivity, a transmissibly avaricious possessorship of their incongruous lexicon.

Fortune and love favour the brave .-. Ovid ....

Comment

Working...
                              X