Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys like to watch your movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys like to watch your movies?

Hey all,

I hope i don't get a lot of heat for asking this but I haven't come across anything like this thread after a quick search of the forums. When you have a movie file that is huge like an 18gb 1080p HD movie sitting on your computer, how do you guys watch them?

Do you hook up your computer with a VGA or HDMI cable? or do you stream it from a media center to run it through the ps3 or xbox 360 or some other streaming device. I want to know what you guys do to watch these gems on an HDTV and what is easiest and most efficient. Recommendations would be really awesome for anyone who is very technologically savvy and have a pretty sweet setup and it doesn't necessarily have to be cost-efficient.

Currently I run things through my ps3, but cineavia (sp?) has been a pain in the ass sometimes and then I have a laptop to connect to the tv through a VGA but sometimes it's a bit choppy.

Thanks for all the input!

Well I usually hoard transparent 1080p Encodes or Remuxes and watch them via WD TV Live + Full HD projector + 5.1 DTS sound system in the living room.

Compact 1080p / 720p encodes on a 42'' TV in the bedroom.

Pop corn, beer and a bl*wjob when I convince my wife is nice (which usually doesn't happen )
    Last edited by CyniC; July 9, 2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

NAS (linux - server with all files) + XBMC (windows 7 - living room, bedroom, kitchen, bathroom...)
      Last edited by Lefteris; July 9, 2012, 08:02 PM.
      The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

+1 on the WDTV Live. Running wdlxtv. Files stored on 2TB raid directly plugged in through USB, and shared using SMB. Files transferred from computer to RAID and then played. Had issues with 1080p files streams across the network being choppy. So that is why I just move them directly to the RAID.

Gotta give the WDTV credit; It plays anything I have thrown at it so far. best $100 i have ever spent.

Comment

I bought a HiMedia 900B media player with a 2TB HDD.

Any file I then get, no matter the size or format, I then transfer to the player's HDD and it plays flawlessly on my HD TV.

I'm yet to come across a fomat that it hasn't played perfectly. The unit even plays 3D movies although not having a 3D TV i've not been able to test these.

Like you, I don't want to sit at my PC to watch all my films or shows so this little unit had been the perfect solution.

The added bonus for me is that due to it's small size and huge HDD i'm able to take it with me to friend's houses and watch my entire movie collection.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input, I am googling all your suggestions and they are fantastic, just what i was looking for!

Comment

Only full bluray or remux on my computer with hdmi to my 102cm HDTV

Comment

Originally posted by reohoie View Post
                Only full bluray or remux on my computer with hdmi to my 102cm HDTV
                Nice! I'm the same except my HDTV is only 82". I prefer to burn them to BD25 because I like having a collection.

Edit: Didn't notice that your TV was in cm instead of inches.
                Last edited by dysrhythmic; July 13, 2012, 01:34 PM.
                sigpic
                Giveaways
                10% 10% 33% Bonuses Misc

Comment

hey Randal, can your HiMedia 900B media player also stream movies from your pc via wifi?

Comment

I usually will download a 720p version of the movie that I am interested in watching, then i'll go downstairs and hook up my laptop to my 50" TV in the basement and just play it from there, using VLC. could get my movies in 1080p, but I don't care about the differences.

Comment

Special Effect laden movie will watch downstairs with surround sound. Anything non-special effects laden will watch on TV in room or as a last resort on the laptop via VLC.

Will jus use Ps3 as method of transporting files up and down. Although its the older model as the fan noise can be a real pain in a small room as it heats it up and is too loud.

Comment

Naked on the couch with a cold beer.

Laptop hooked up to Plasma TV thru HDMI

Still naked though :P
                        sigpic

Comment

blu-ray thru Patriot media box on tv, or on playbook when travelling

Originally posted by dysrhythmic View Post
                          Nice! I'm the same except my HDTV is only 82". I prefer to burn then to BD25 because I like having a collection.
                          dysrhythmic, you have an 82 inch tv? that's huge! how far back do you have to sit to get a decent viewing?

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                            dysrhythmic, you have an 82 inch tv? that's huge! how far back do you have to sit to get a decent viewing?
                            The recommended THX viewing distance is about 9 feet. I actually sit about 13 feet back because I'm too lazy to keep moving my couch to make room for extra people.
                            sigpic
                            Giveaways
                            10% 10% 33% Bonuses Misc

Comment

Originally posted by cheeznit View Post
                              hey Randal, can your HiMedia 900B media player also stream movies from your pc via wifi?
                              Hi,

Sorry for the delay only i've been away for a few days.

It does state that it can do this although I never have so can't vouch for it's ability in doing so.

Here's a link that tells you all that it's supposed to do - HiMedia - Full HD Networked Media Centre

From what i've read on forums people have had issues with 3D movies (never tried doing this) and apparently HiMedia themselves are pretty bad at getting back to people with problems and issues they have with their players. Given that they're a Chinese company though could have something to do with their lack of response to us English speakers.

There are however a couple of good forums that have a lot of information on with any help you might need.

If any of the two things listed above are important to you it might be worth trying another option but if, like me, they aren't, then i've found it to be a good little machine,

Comment

Working...
                              X