What is your first Language?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your first Language?

I was born in England and now a permanent resident of Canada so obviously my first language is English.

The official languages of Canada are English and French though the only people I know that speak French are in Quebec. Not really fair to the rest of Canada!

I see people from all over the world here and I find it amazing how fluent people communicate in English.

My first language is greek!! Although,I've been learning english since I was in second grade!!!

Comment

My first language is Spanish, though I too have been learning English since elementary school.

Comment

estonian language, it has only about 1,5 million speakers, and about 1 million speak it as a first language

Comment

Brazilian Portuguese
          The Seedbox From Scratch Script

I'm not a native english speaker and my writing and (even) understanding of the language is far, far away from fluent, so, if you, native english speaker or not, have enough linguistic proficiency and found something in my words which you are absolutely certain that is a grammar or spell error, please, feel free correct me by PM or even expose it (so people learn from my errors), just don't go (too) off topic and don't make me more unsure than I already am.

Comment

English all the way.

Comment

Mine is spanish. And my english is very poor. Sometimes I ask for help from my girlfriend to translate stuff. But not always. I can understand written english better than spoken english. And I can write it better than speaking it. It's just when you live in a place that everyone speaks spanish, english is mostly useful for reading online, or chatting online. But I'm taking classes to learn how to speak english better and have good pronunciation.

Comment

Nice thread [MENTION=99968]banned1960[/MENTION], my first language is SPANISH, currently living in USA for about 12 years now, I haven't had the chance to go to school to improve my English, but everyday I try to learn the most I can, using other available resources.

Show respect to all people, but grovel to none
                Rules / How to Give an iGiver / Invite Giveaway Guide / FAQ / Banned Countries

Comment

My first language is English. I started learning French in elementary and studied Latin a few years during high school. It's interesting how we can acquire some language through social interaction in early childhood. I never learned to speak Spanish but can relate to some meanings.

Comment

English. I tried to learn Spanish once, but it didn't work out :)

Comment

My primary language is English although many members of my family are fluent in other languages. It makes me feel excited to eventually learn another language and use it regularly. I would be sad to forget most of it, like I did with my Spanish.

Anyhow, this thread reminded me of a joke I heard. It was being told to a nice young French lady who had the sweetest laugh and was visiting to the USA. It goes like this...

What do you call someone who speaks multiple languages? Multilingual/Polyglot (Polyglot was the French lady's first answer).

What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bilingual.

What do you call someone who speaks one language? "American"

I have always thought of it as one or the reasons I would like to learn another language. In order to not be so "American"

Comment

Hebrew is my first language.
                        I consider English to be another first language of mine, my English vocab is far larger than my Hebrew and I even think in English.
                        I know a few words and can read to some degree Japanese and Russian.
                        九死一生を得る

Comment

My first language is Danish. I also speak and write English fairly well, since I've had it in school for something like eight years :)
                          Here I also learned some German, which I only think will come in handy because Denmark is just north of Germany and things are cheaper there.

Comment

I was born in Ukraine, my mother is Russian, father is Ukrainian. But firstly I learned to talk a Russian language. And already at school I fully studied Ukrainian language and partly English language. Now, I free talk on Ukrainian and Russian language, I can write and partly talk on English and partly understanding Germany and Polish language.

Comment

my first language is arabic but i can speek french&english

Comment

Working...
                              X