Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social networks: good or bad?

Post your opinions here.

As for myself: I spend wayyyyy too much time on it, facebook, particularly. Why? Mostly because of communicating with my friends (somehow skype went out of fashion), but there are those times when I log into it and after 20 minutes of meaningless scrolling I catch myself that I'm not doing anything, not even thinking. I'm just reading stuff without even recording it into my memory, hence the question, is it good or bad.

My answer would be both, it's good if you can control yourself to use it properly, but otherwise it's just an addiction as bad as smoking or drinking.

As for twitter, instagram etc, I don't use those (have accounts but go only once every 2-3 months), so I don't know.

Mostly a total waste of time, FB (etc.), only think I can think of being useful is finding long-lost friends & keeping in touch, and maybe on-line dating? Linkedin can be useful for locating jobs sometimes.
    sigpic

Comment

Good. FB is one implementation of the concept; it can't be used to judge the concept any more than some company can be used to judge the concept of Multi-Level Marketing/Network Marketing.

The right social network can create an online community for activist groups, scholarly groups, common interest groups, or certain types of people across the globe. Currently, most people just join FB and join some crappy page, but there is an unfilled niche for niche social groups that meet more specific needs in a way that FB could not possibly.

Comment

Good for time pass, specially when you enjoy games there, there is nothing much to enjoy... honestly i prefer being a torrent addict.

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork this page one of only few that make facebook (and the world) a better place, many know it, many don't. I usually don't like success or "I used to be like that, but now I'm working on being totally different" stories, but this page somehow balances it so that I can't not like it.

Comment

I have Facebook and Instagram. However, I use them to mostly promote my business :D I have pages on both!
            On Instagram, you will find me by going to @ohyeahdesigns
            On Facebook, I am found here: http://fb.com/ohyeahdesigns

On another note, I also use them and a few other social networking apps, sites as a means of communicating with the loved ones who have immigrated to countries in the Pacific, Europe and the north America. So, I find them so useful. Another matter would be security, which I don't believe should be as problem a long as you are not sharing bad stuff.

Comment

Every tool, machine , service etc is as good as the handler of it. With a knife you can spread butter or can kill people. With facebook , tweeter , instagram , snapchat and the rest you can share points of view, express ideas, share pictures with friends, relatives or like-minded people OR you can upload nude pics of your ex , exploit teenagers for pronography, cheat your wife, spread false news, promote terrorism, racism etc .

Personally speaking, I have an almost inactive fb account which I use it to share pics with my family and close friends who live far away from me. Whenever possible, I'd rather go out and meet my friends or speak to them on the phone than posting funny cat videos on social media. Life is out there, not on the screen of the pc

Comment

It's what you make of it. You could waste your time there doing nothing and just waste your time, but you could also be doing things like catching up with friends, meeting new people, etc. It is about finding the right balance, and then it can be really helpful.

We definitely need to limit usage. Otherwise it can take over our lives.

Comment

IMO FB is a waste of time if one wants to connect with friends only. But if one wants to create a community/social awareness page (both of these preferably closed) then it's good depending heavily on the fact that all the posted information/suggestion is acted upon after confirming with actual events.
                  sigpic

[ἓν οἶδα ὅτι] οὐδὲν οἶδα - Socrates

Comment

As I've mentioned above I am not a user of Instagram, but that one bothers me much more. I am not even sure what was the idea of it, but it seems that right now the main purpose of it is to allow people to post whatever the f they are doing every second of their life. Why would they even do it on a separate thing than facebook? Is facebook supposed to show the nicer side of you because you are "friends" with your parents uncles and so forth and Instagram is for everyone else? Why, then, would you even add your relatives to your FB? Can't you just skype or phone them?

I know the tools should not be blamed for how the users use them, but I dunno, Instagram doesn't seem to be useful to me since everything you can do there you could do on FB, too.

Comment

Social networks are definitely extremely useful when built on a community with a common interest.

You may not realize it, but if you are reading this, you are using a social network right now...

Comment

Speaking to my personal motivations;
                        I signed up for Facebook late, and only because of two reasons that I felt good about:

1) To find out what interesting events were going on in the city
                        2) (and more importantly), to have a record of friendships/important times.

I was all about organizing and cataloging things with the idea that in the future one could go back and see the past stretched out, search through it, see things from different angles, and understand more because of it. Unfortunately, no social network really seems to have this kind of social archeology in mind any more.

Comment

Yes,FB is a waste of time and a sickness, many of my friends when i look at their accounts wall are full of shit posts about bad things and fake
                          on other friends walls are full of girls sometimes too indecent pictures of his friends,almost seems like redtube
                          And don't start with people who haves 5000+ friends

I keep only the people i know and only use facebook when I need to talk with friends important things and to seek info about university related on our class group

i'm still old fashion and i still use skype and messenger

Comment

Originally posted by zbat View Post
                            Yes,FB is a waste of time and a sickness, many of my friends when i look at their accounts wall are full of shit posts about bad things and fake
                            on other friends walls are full of girls sometimes too indecent pictures of his friends,almost seems like redtube
                            And don't start with people who haves 5000+ friends

I keep only the people i know and only use facebook when I need to talk with friends important things and to seek info about university related on our class group

i'm still old fashion and i still use skype and messenger
                            I agree with you completely.
                            o.....o

Comment

"Hindsight is 20/20", as they say, but I've noticed how society in general doesn't really have any. Hence, "history repeats itself".

Social networks with computers is basically the next step up from social networks with cell phones and contact lists, which is basically a continuation of social networks with tack boards and coffee shops, which is basically the continuation from social networks built around TV and the home phone, which is basically the continuation from social networks centered around Pubs.

The concept is no different - the human goals and motive is no different.

People "complain" that Facebook is replacing real human interaction; they said the same thing about the cell phone, landlines, and telegraphs. "Telegraphs are destroying face to face talk... why go see someone to give them a message when you can just send a telegraph?", they would say.

And yet, it's the same discussion, over and over and over and over.

3D printers and Fab Labs are somehow going to destroy the American manufacturing of mundane items (despite the fact that most of these are manufactured in China or Honduras), just like plows would destroy an entire industry of farm workers, how the tractor would destroy American farming, how electric lightbulbs would destroy an entire industry built around gas and/or oil street lights, and how the modern printer (and now, all-in-one copy machines with collate, sort, etc) have destroyed what was and is a printing industry.

My dad and mom work in that industry -- dad on the fixing/selling copiers, and mom in the printing business. For mass printing, it is ALMOST as cheap to do it with a $10,000 copy machine or 3 as it is to contract with a traditional printing company.

Now, the printing business is all about custom mailings that require 1000s of items to be assembled (folded, put into envelopes, addressed and mailed), rather than just volume printing, which is basically dead (My dad is the perfect person to know about the cost-per-piece-of-paper, printing speeds, printing capacity, etc of the latest copy machines and how that compares to 5, 10, or 15 years ago).

So not only is this discussion no different than the ones around the rise of television and then cell phones, but it is also no different from what we see with say, complaining that electric bulbs and "doing things easier with technology" is destroying jobs.

Kind of like how the wheel destroyed an entire industry of human and animal transport when it was invented 5,000 years ago...... (probably in China, contrary to what modern history teaches).

I've had more interesting discussions with my late Golden Retriever than 90% of the discussions that are "trending" in human society........................................... .................................................. ....... who was smarter than literally 5-10% of humans.

Comment

Working...
                              X