What will replace torrents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will replace torrents?

We can all agree how important it is to being a step or two ahead of the gov when it comes to file sharing. Lets face it, torrents are not anonymous. I am fully aware of Proxy's and VPN's, but I rather have the file sharing protocol be anonymous, and use a VPN as a backup. Anyone heard of a up and coming anonymous file sharing method? Preferably community based, where quality is retained. After being involved with Tor, I feel like there must be something out there.

well privacy protocols could be introduced to torrenting but no private tracker cares. unless e.g. FACT gets the proper ID of private tracker sysops they don't close those and they won't go after private trackers because those kind of protocols will be introduced then. once that happens, they cannot go after either public or private trackers anymore and they've been smart enough so far to not fuck themselves over.
    it's pretty simple, popular public torrenting sites have literal millions of peers, private ones have a couple thousand scattered all over the world with probably 50% (or more) using seedboxes. there's an interesting AMA with a guy that works for something like FACT on reddit. those are some of the first questions asked but the tl;dr is that private torrenting is extremely safe (for the users either way).

Comment

I was also wondering the same, torrent's won't stay here forever, I don't think... Maybe they'll be around for the next 10-15 years, but after that? Hmm, I have my doubts. Something like cloud or whatever will take over, IMO.

Comment

Everything is stored virtually on giant servers seeding will be no more and it will be virtual storage and who you know.

Comment

I think whatever will replace it will be the same, but with different protocols and security measures. Probably be called torrent+ or something.
          o.....o

Comment

Originally posted by portalgun
            I think whatever will replace it will be the same, but with different protocols and security measures. Probably be called torrent+ or something.
            Torrents with perfect encryption that has no loss of speeds and the ISP cannot tell that it's BitTorrent. I feel like that would be a better version of BitTorrent, I mean, what's better than something nobody can touch? Also with open source clients and P2P websites. So everything everywhere is encrypted seems like it would be more like the future.

Comment

Streaming from the cloud, could be called "rain"?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWickerMan View Post
                Streaming from the cloud, could be called "rain"?
                I wonder what thunder is like then?

Comment

Nothing can replace torrenting, especially torrenting in the private world ;)

Comment

Streaming sites have already started replacing torrents believe it or not. Sites like netflix shomi are gonna dominate.

You see when its as simple as netflix ppl who may not torrent much or who dont know how are already using streaming methods, and even veteran torrent users are doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Tml4Life
                      Streaming sites have already started replacing torrents believe it or not. Sites like netflix shomi are gonna dominate.

You see when its as simple as netflix ppl who may not torrent much or who dont know how are already using streaming methods, and even veteran torrent users are doing the same.
                      I've found the problem with streaming sites now is you have to pay for a certain amount of content that has licensing fee's for it. So if you want certain content you have to buy this certain subscription and so on. Streaming sites will get better as time goes on, and I believe they can replace torrents if everything becomes as simple as Netflix being able to host all that content. Netflix has its limitations as other things do.

Comment

BitTorrent is based on very nice philosophy, I doubt that we're going to see replacement soon. As for privacy, there is encryption for p2p protocol

Comment

Originally posted by Tml4Life View Post

When Gigabit and higher speeds are much more common, I think you may be right. The problem is that part of the security we enjoy through our torrent websites is that they don't host any content. Perhaps, there may be peer streaming?... but somebody has to actually hold the file, so maybe not.
                          o.....o

Comment

Originally posted by mentalcoderz View Post
                            BitTorrent is based on very nice philosophy, I doubt that we're going to see replacement soon. As for privacy, there is encryption for p2p protocol
                            Would have to agree with this, even as streaming services become more popular I doubt it will ever be perfect. For instance soon you will probably be able to stream EVERYTHING, so no need for torrents right? Well I think to do this you will need to subscribe to 4-5 different services costing somewhere from $25-$50/month. Not a super unreasonable price especially since cable can cost that AND not let you watch whatever you want, but still it is a lot for some people so they will continue to use torrents. This also varies by country, some countries don't have any decent streaming services at all yet. Ofc torrents are useful for many other things also I am just touching on what seems to be the most popular use: tv/movies.

Comment

mostally on demand sevices or IPTV imo. higher speeds are gettig common now a days so most probablly IPTV on demand services

Comment

Working...
                              X