Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support the industry's you pirate from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support the industry's you pirate from?

Hi all!
    This is something that has been on my mind for a while now.
    Since I presume you are reading this you are a bonofide pirate.
    But just because you pirate from companies doesn't mean that you don't appreciate the work put into the goods which you pirate.
    Normally if the product is of great quality or if it evokes strong emotions in me I try to purchase a legal copy for myself, this can be in a sale or years later when the price goes down . For me these are normally games.

What I'm interested here is to find the difference between what you pirate for your own use and the amount you give back to the producers. This also gives a good indication of how much you have consumed you consider of good quality.

For example I have pirated approximately €50k in the last 4 years. Of which about €7k is games. My collection of games is worth about €3k over various areas (steam desura gog retail...)
    The €43k which is uncounted for us in relation to films TV and anime with a small amount of music.

So in the essence I buy about 43% of the games I pirate.

What about you?
    How much do you give back to the producers?

Aengus
    Patience is not a gift given to you.
    It is cultivated by yourself.
    Enjoy these:
    Invictus | Rise
    GA's
    10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Yes maybe I am a "pirate", maybe I do rape and pilledge, but I never see it that way...
    Games I have the biggest respect for, if I like it I pay for it, but I snatch any game released, try anything once right.... But so many games to me are the same, crap, so I only pay for what I enjoy...
    Now there are so many movies and tv series that are below par, so where do you start?
    For me if a movie makes me laugh hard, or I shit my pants then its a great movie...
    Why?
    Well I find the actors are doing their jobs, yet the studios are just out to make money, much like gaming studios....
    Maybe I am a true "pirate" I wont pay for crap ever again,
    It doesnt mean I don't watch "c" grade movies, or play bad games, honestly some of them are great, but I to me a "pirate" is just someone that has had enough of the system,
    and rapes it for everything thats there.... I give back what I take, and I always pay for what I enjoy.....
    If in my country we got a service where we got the latest release movies, and up to date tv, and the ratings for games were fair, then sure I would visa it... But sadly I "we" don't, so yeah maybe I am a pirate...
    I have no problem paying for something I love, what I hate is paying for something that should have never been made....

Comment

Like [MENTION=56422]Muppet[/MENTION] said: too many inferior products are sold for way too much.

Good games don't need to cost that much, some of the better games are even made by low-budget companies. Some big companies seem to go for quantity over quality, and too often bring unfinished releases with endless patching.

Movies and series? Quite the same if you ask me. Too many, but too little new, original things. And GoT has admitted pirating is not bad for them, and since we already pay to watch our tv's to the provider, I feel I have already contributed. Today's newest movie will be repeated endlessly on tv in a few years, so why pay for it double?

Music? Why does a cd containing 2 good songs and a bunch of worthless ones have to cost that much? If the artist him/herself was selling it, no problem! But I don't want to give my money to the companies, agents, and other individuals behind it.

So I don't pay, for nothing. Just my internet connection, which is expensive enough. Do I harm anyone with this attitude? No! Only the big commercial companies... Artists, actors, developers get paid by them, not me. Not even if I buy something.

Comment

One strong benefits of piracy is that you can try things out for free. In the end I would say about half of the movies I've tried have been good. Sure there are some things I pirate that I really appreciate. But when people talk to me about pirating I sometimes bring up that the company's loss of my individual contribution isn't significant. So I don't think if I buy it it matters that much either. It depends on the case though I suppose.

So I don't buy almost anything that I pirate, even if it's good. Although I do appreciate it in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by mupppet View Post
          Yes maybe I am a "pirate", maybe I do rape and pilledge, but I never see it that way...
          Games I have the biggest respect for, if I like it I pay for it, but I snatch any game released, try anything once right.... But so many games to me are the same, crap, so I only pay for what I enjoy...
          Now there are so many movies and tv series that are below par, so where do you start?
          For me if a movie makes me laugh hard, or I shit my pants then its a great movie...
          Why?
          Well I find the actors are doing their jobs, yet the studios are just out to make money, much like gaming studios....
          Maybe I am a true "pirate" I wont pay for crap ever again,
          It doesnt mean I don't watch "c" grade movies, or play bad games, honestly some of them are great, but I to me a "pirate" is just someone that has had enough of the system,
          and rapes it for everything thats there.... I give back what I take, and I always pay for what I enjoy.....
          If in my country we got a service where we got the latest release movies, and up to date tv, and the ratings for games were fair, then sure I would visa it... But sadly I "we" don't, so yeah maybe I am a pirate...
          I have no problem paying for something I love, what I hate is paying for something that should have never been made....
          I have the same sentiments about what is quality, i hate it when we are forced to pay to have garbage stuffed down our throats.
          Cant really say too much more.

Originally posted by kawa_z750 View Post
          Like @Muppet said: too many inferior products are sold for way too much.

Good games don't need to cost that much, some of the better games are even made by low-budget companies. Some big companies seem to go for quantity over quality, and too often bring unfinished releases with endless patching.

Movies and series? Quite the same if you ask me. Too many, but too little new, original things. And GoT has admitted pirating is not bad for them, and since we already pay to watch our tv's to the provider, I feel I have already contributed. Today's newest movie will be repeated endlessly on tv in a few years, so why pay for it double?

Music? Why does a cd containing 2 good songs and a bunch of worthless ones have to cost that much? If the artist him/herself was selling it, no problem! But I don't want to give my money to the companies, agents, and other individuals behind it.

So I don't pay, for nothing. Just my internet connection, which is expensive enough. Do I harm anyone with this attitude? No! Only the big commercial companies... Artists, actors, developers get paid by them, not me. Not even if I buy something.
          About 75% of the games that i own are indie games, these i often consider better quality than the larger companies, sometimes though some larger titles surprise me Bioshock Half life are the latest two for example.
          Movies and TV i agree wholeheartedly, there is not enough original content, ive turned to Vodo a lot lately.
          As regards the publicity that piracy creates have a look at Notch's blog
          And why not pay for those two songs, most digital outlets give the option to get the individual tracks, although this can be argued against if you prefer the hard cd.

Say for example a company paid its workers based on a % of the sales, if you pirated the product, found it good, would you then pay for it, if you didnt pay for it it would directly effect the people who MADE it, not just the middle men and management.

Originally posted by Nocuous View Post
          One strong benefits of piracy is that you can try things out for free. In the end I would say about half of the movies I've tried have been good. Sure there are some things I pirate that I really appreciate. But when people talk to me about pirating I sometimes bring up that the company's loss of my individual contribution isn't significant. So I don't think if I buy it it matters that much either. It depends on the case though I suppose.

So I don't buy almost anything that I pirate, even if it's good. Although I do appreciate it in some cases.
          Trying before you buy is one of the strong points of piracy. You may not be in a strong position now to support the company using monetary means but what about publisity, its a form of support, if you spread the word about the product wouldnt you consider that it would more than cover the cost of manufacture? Sometimes even more so. If Minecraft didnt have people talking about itwould it have sold any copies of it? Mojam has spent nothing on advertising.

I dont mean to offend anyone, just to have a constructive debate.
          Aengus
          Patience is not a gift given to you.
          It is cultivated by yourself.
          Enjoy these:
          Invictus | Rise
          GA's
          10% | 33% | 55% | VIP

Comment

Originally posted by Aengus View Post
            Say for example a company paid its workers based on a % of the sales, if you pirated the product, found it good, would you then pay for it, if you didnt pay for it it would directly effect the people who MADE it, not just the middle men and management.

Aengus
            I agree with you that work needs to be compensated, but somehow when I see houses/cars/stuff from artists I personally never get the feeling I'm taking something away from them...

Comment

For me, its far more about having the content I want, in the medium I want it in. I want a collection of movies for example to be on my network and instantly viewable on whatever device I want to watch it on. Discs take up space, then I have to find what I want, put it in a player thats only connected to one TV, and wait for it to start playing. Pass...... I go to see movies in the theater whenever I can, as I genuinely love doing that.

Music is the same way. I'm tired of being limited to devices. My choice of device shouldn't matter, and I should be free to move about from device to device as fits my situation. For most of my time in car, I want an actual mp3 player with hardware buttons to control playback. So spotify for example may play on most devices, but then I can't use a traditional mp3 player, and that's not for me. I actually pay for Zune Market as I have a zune player and like it, but I'm looking to switch to say a cowon, and google cloud so I can have the best of both worlds. Hence: why I came here, hope to soon be able to get on what.cd :-D

What I really want, is for all my services I use to be solidly device agnostic. If I'm at my desktop computer, texts/emails/chats should all just exist there for example, my phone shouldn't make unnecessary noise. Facebook already does exactly this with FB messenger. If I move to my tablet, everything should follow........ to my phone..... same.

Probably... most content producers consider me to be a pirate, so I'll defer to their judgement.... ROFL.

Comment

If I love it, I support the artist/creator/whoever. I'll buy CDs, DVDs/Blurays, whatever just because I like /having/ things. *shrugs* I might not be able to afford all the CDs/DVDs/etc at the time, but as long as I am a fan, I continue buy the releases.

If I don't love it, then.. well, I'm glad I didn't pay money for something I'm going to get no use out of.

Funnily enough, right now, a majority of the stuff I download I couldn't buy even if I wanted to - just because it never is commercially sold... And I totally would buy official releases of it too. Go figure.

And not to take a dig at you plusEric, but if you really want movies/music however you want, you can always rip the DVD/Bluray/CD yourself... Just saying.

Comment

Yeah ofc, I do support the movie, music, and video game industries. Eating popcorn and a drinking a big cherry icee while a watching flick at the movies is one my favorite past times. I do buy music on Amazon because the MP3s have decent prices. I love Steam! It doesn't get any better for buying cheap and old school games.

Comment

to be honest, since ive became a "pirate", i have not really spent a dime on books and movies. do i feel guilty? not really. my house is full of books [hardcopies] from before i purchased a reader. as for the movies, i go with my son to a movie he wants to see. so i spend money on that. but for movies myself, i pirate them. i dont mind waiting a little while for a good copy.

i do not regret or have guilt with any of this. i look at all the $$$$$$ that im saving. and i love it!!!!
                    special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
                    sigpic
                    "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

I am pirating everything I want to get. I appreciate the work of the artists/producers/etc, but as long as I can get them for free, I don't spend a dime on anything. I don't feel guilty at all, because, if I really wanted to buy something, the money I would spend on that "something", won't help them much or something like that, as the full payment wont actually reach the artist/producer. I only spend money on movies at theaters, when I get to go. As for music, since my HDD failure (when I had to change and lost all data), I decided that I'll listen to streamed music, and just some albums to keep on PC, just in case. Even when I had a pretty big collection of music I listened to streamed one.
                      Anyway, I am not that rich to afford to buy everything I like. Of course, I would pay for something I constantly use. To buy, lets say, a game, you will play it end it and get tired of it, if it even has a multiplayer feature. Then what? The disc will lay somewhere in the house or the code laying there in the steam client. That's a waste of money. Of course, I would pay for something I constantly use, but now it isn't the time for that. As a student, I have other things I must pay for.

Even with all those pirates out there, they aren't loosing too much money.
                      sigpic
                      "Never trust anyone too much, remember the devil was once an angel."

~Kaneki Ken

Comment

I only download stuff if it isn't readily available to buy in my country. I download TV episodes then buy the series when it comes out, if I like it. I download Blu-rays then buy them when they hit stores over here. I don't download games because I can buy them easily enough. For me, downloading is just a way to get around stupid region delays, etc.

Comment

Depends on who the artist is for music. Sometimes if i really do like them, then i would buy to support them. But most of the time for movies, TV shows, and most games, I would not support. For example, I do not want to pay for each expansion of the Sims games. Small indie developers I like supporting but big major studios still do fine if I were to buy their product or get it for free.

Comment

Just saw this topic, which I did a report on some years ago and to say something general on this there's a connection between how much people buy and how much they download illegally. Can't seem to find all of the reports I've read but one is rather good. If you're interrested it's a great read. [LINK]
                            Also, closely related, a study was to figure out how to combat piracy; also a great read. [LINK]
                            I think what these studies show is that were moving into a new era. The copyright laws as they are, are outdated and the people who are into films/games/music are illegally downloading a lot of films/games/music, sure, but as we see these people are often also buying a lot of these products. Media consumption in our society is through the roof and instead of adapting, the big industries are trying to make the consumers fit their needs when it should be the other way around. Sure, a lot of people could buy all of the films/games/music, but it would cost them a fortune. That's why we need stuff like spotify, netflix and the humble indie bundle. I think all of these are great ideas and probably the way to go, as well as educating people more on meida, which is playing an increasingly large role in our modern society.

As for myself I do what many of the above posters. I buy a lot of games and films that I like, go to the cinemas and spend money on my interests; but for a large part, I pirate things that I like for keeps. I try to support indie game developers and films, as I think the larger coorporations are the main problem here.

Comment

I actually buy more games than I pirate. That's probably due to the massive sales that Steam does several times a year though. I'm not sure how I'd feel though if I lived in a country that had heavy import taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X