Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video games are the root of gun violence in the US. Yes or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video games are the root of gun violence in the US. Yes or not.

California shotgun rampage kills 3, injures 2

There hasn't been anything interesting going on in Brain Stew for a while, so let's talk about this.

The article covers recent new shootings in the US. Now this isn't anything new, but what is interesting about it is how the police investigating the crime are describing the shooter. A "video game-playing loner", a "gamer". The investigator goes into detail, "He took one class at college and he did not work, so that gives him most of the day and evening and most of the time in his free time he was playing video games."

So we all know about the recent Sandy Hook shootings and the play by the NRA to label video games at fault. And I don't think it's surprising to hear NRA paid politicians echoing these ideas. But a police force? Shouldn't they know better, or are US police forces as corrupted as politicians?

Go.
    Yes
    6.35%
    No
    93.65%
    "I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
    - Charles Darwin

Its nothing new when it comes to things such as this. When I was growing up in the 70's & 80's it was the music that made kids do drugs and drink and have sex. It caused them to kill small animals that were used to sacrifice to the devil. The problem isnt music, video games, guns or violence in movies. Some people are just unstable plain and simple some only harm themselves cutting, suicide etc. While others lash out at innocent bystanders. They want to take a situation and put a label on it and say "THIS" is why it happened because having no answers is scarier then having an answer that you can put a finger on.
    I grew up listening to hard rock and Heavy Metal music. I also was the first young generation that had video games arcade style or home with the Atari. I have played games and listened to my music for 35 years. I have yet tried to kill someone or had anger issues etc. When someone is nuts they are nuts and if they are violent then guess what they will be violent. It doesnt matter if they played video games owned guns or watched bloody movies.
    Hell Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne were both sued because some kids killed themselves and the parents wanted to say the music made them do it and that there was back masking telling them to do it.

I see nothing happening to video games .....they are already rated even though most parents ignore them. As for guns I dont see much happening with that either. Most gun murders are done by hand guns not assault rifles and banning will only affect law abiding citizens. Ask Chicago they have a gun ban and they have more gun deaths then any major city.

Comment

Originally posted by RedHeadLover View Post
      Its nothing new when it comes to things such as this. When I was growing up in the 70's & 80's it was the music that made kids do drugs and drink and have sex. It caused them to kill small animals that were used to sacrifice to the devil. The problem isnt music, video games, guns or violence in movies. Some people are just unstable plain and simple some only harm themselves cutting, suicide etc. While others lash out at innocent bystanders. They want to take a situation and put a label on it and say "THIS" is why it happened because having no answers is scarier then having an answer that you can put a finger on.
      I grew up listening to hard rock and Heavy Metal music. I also was the first young generation that had video games arcade style or home with the Atari. I have played games and listened to my music for 35 years. I have yet tried to kill someone or had anger issues etc. When someone is nuts they are nuts and if they are violent then guess what they will be violent. It doesnt matter if they played video games owned guns or watched bloody movies.
      Hell Judas Priest and Ozzy Osbourne were both sued because some kids killed themselves and the parents wanted to say the music made them do it and that there was back masking telling them to do it.

I see nothing happening to video games .....they are already rated even though most parents ignore them. As for guns I dont see much happening with that either. Most gun murders are done by hand guns not assault rifles and banning will only affect law abiding citizens. Ask Chicago they have a gun ban and they have more gun deaths then any major city.
      For the most part I agree, except you can't kill a person with a video game, a gun however...

Look at any other wealthy nation. Their gun violence stats are a fraction of that in the US. They don't have strict video game regulation, but the do have strict gun regulation. Just saying.
      "I have called this principle, by which each slight variation, if useful, is preserved, by the term of Natural Selection."
      - Charles Darwin

Comment

Originally posted by s2cuts View Post
        For the most part I agree, except you can't kill a person with a video game, a gun however...

Look at any other wealthy nation. Their gun violence stats are a fraction of that in the US. They don't have strict video game regulation, but the do have strict gun regulation. Just saying.
        I find it funny everyone thinks America is just killing anything and everything. Here is a chart that shows murder rates. Yes I wish we had less but it is what it is.

Comment

it can be 1 of the factor.
          but there are other things that involving gun on entertainment like movie.
          unlike video games, movies takes place on the real environment.

Comment

Games are just form of entertainment.

I don't think that games are the root of evil, almost everyone plays games and everyone isn't killing people.
            People shot each others before games were invented,so I think the problem is violent humans which haven't learned to control their anger, commonly those people who do these mass murders are excluded from the society, so they feel mad and bad inside their head, because they are nobodies and society treat them like trash, so they go out and shoot people as a revenge.

Those mass murderers play video games, because they have nothing else to do as they are excluded from the society...

Games are not the enemy in here the people are, but the shooters who have been excluded from the society should do something with their life, study or work or at least do something more useful than blaming other people.

That is just my theory, but it's useless to blame the games, because it's just a form of entertainment to spend some time. Also why people aren't blaming violent movies then? Maybe, because games are still quite new so people like to blame the new guy.
            Last edited by Yasashina; February 22, 2013, 08:35 PM.
            sigpic
            You watch anime? Read manga? Love Japanese stuff?
            Join #Otakuchannel on irc and have a chat with people who share the same interests

Comment

I find it funny everyone thinks America is just killing anything and everything. Here is a chart that shows murder rates. Yes I wish we had less but it is what it is.

Well you have to compare apples to apples right?

You can't compare the US with impoverished nations, that's just crazy. You have to compare the US to countries with equal wealth and standard of living. Basically Switzerland down.

Ironically, the country with some of the most vile video games, and some of the most strict gun laws is Japan. Look where it lies on that list.
              - Charles Darwin

Comment

To the posed question, "are video games the root of gun violence in the US?" the answer is unequivocally, emphatically, no.

Examine the implications of the way the question is worded. "Are video games the root of gun violence in the US?" For this to be true, every shooting in the US would have to be traceable to video games. It hasn't even been proven that video games cause violence, let alone anything else, so it's absurd to claim video games as the root of a particular form of violence. The claim can thus be dismissed.

Since it cannot be the root cause it's reasonable to ask can video games be a contributory cause. The answer is maybe. It's possible, even plausible, but unproven.

Comment

Well you have to compare apples to apples right?

You can't compare the US with impoverished nations, that's just crazy. You have to compare the US to countries with equal wealth and standard of living. Basically Switzerland down.

Ironically, the country with some of the most vile video games, and some of the most strict gun laws is Japan. Look where it lies on that list.
                  I thought I was comparing apples to apples. Person has gun. Person pulls trigger. Another person dies. Just because they may not have as much wealth etc doesnt mean its ok to kill. Unless thats your intention. I bet you look at most gun crime in America you would find most of it is with "impoverished" as you put it.

I just went looking and found in 2011 there were 11,101 murders committed by a gun, any gun in America. In that same year there were 10,839 people killed by drunk driving in America. I take it we need to outlaw cars since they do much damage.

As for Japan they have a complete gun ban so maybe we should compare apples to apples and not with countries that have a over baring gun laws in fact here is Japans gun law.

Besides the police and the military, the only group that is allowed to posses guns is hunters, and that possession is strictly circumscribed. The police even check hunters' ammunition inventory, to make sure that there are no unaccounted shells or bullets. Hunting licenses themselves are not particularly difficult to obtain. A prospective hunter must take an official safety course; and then pass a test which covers maintenance and inspection of the hunting gun, methods of loading and unloading cartridges, shooting from various positions, and target practice for stationary and moving objects. The hunting license is valid for three years. Total permit fees for hunting rifles and licenses are 15000 (about 125 American dollars). When not hunting, gun owners must store their weapons in a locker.

Trap and skeet shooting are also tightly restricted.
                  Civilians cannot obtain handgun target licenses. Even possession of a starter's pistol is only allowed under carefully- detailed conditions.
                  The section of the gun law which specifies who may be licensed offers no standards, just the vague statement that licenses must be denied "any person (taking into consideration also relatives living with him) who there is reasonable cause to suspect may be dangerous to other persons' lives or properties or to the public peace." Thus, the police have broad discretion in rejecting applicants.

Wow sounds like freedom to me.

The worst part is I dont even own a gun but I want the right to go buy one if I so choose and be able to buy what I want not what a government tells me I can.

Comment

I thought I was comparing apples to apples. Person has gun. Person pulls trigger. Another person dies. Just because they may not have as much wealth etc doesnt mean its ok to kill. Unless thats your intention. I bet you look at most gun crime in America you would find most of it is with "impoverished" as you put it.

I just went looking and found in 2011 there were 11,101 murders committed by a gun, any gun in America. In that same year there were 10,839 people killed by drunk driving in America. I take it we need to outlaw cars since they do much damage.

As for Japan they have a complete gun ban so maybe we should compare apples to apples and not with countries that have a over baring gun laws in fact here is Japans gun law.

Besides the police and the military, the only group that is allowed to posses guns is hunters, and that possession is strictly circumscribed. The police even check hunters' ammunition inventory, to make sure that there are no unaccounted shells or bullets. Hunting licenses themselves are not particularly difficult to obtain. A prospective hunter must take an official safety course; and then pass a test which covers maintenance and inspection of the hunting gun, methods of loading and unloading cartridges, shooting from various positions, and target practice for stationary and moving objects. The hunting license is valid for three years. Total permit fees for hunting rifles and licenses are 15000 (about 125 American dollars). When not hunting, gun owners must store their weapons in a locker.

Trap and skeet shooting are also tightly restricted.
                    Civilians cannot obtain handgun target licenses. Even possession of a starter's pistol is only allowed under carefully- detailed conditions.
                    The section of the gun law which specifies who may be licensed offers no standards, just the vague statement that licenses must be denied "any person (taking into consideration also relatives living with him) who there is reasonable cause to suspect may be dangerous to other persons' lives or properties or to the public peace." Thus, the police have broad discretion in rejecting applicants.

Wow sounds like freedom to me.

The worst part is I dont even own a gun but I want the right to go buy one if I so choose and be able to buy what I want not what a government tells me I can.
                    You can only compare yourself to butt fuck backwards countries if the point is to inflate your ego. All serious studies group countries by similar wealth, standard of living, democracy, journalistic freedom, etc. If you don't do this, you are very much comparing apples to oranges. Japan is a valid comparison precisely because they have similar wealth and standard of living, yet a fraction of the gun violence, which is the point of the comparison. By arguing that their strict gun laws invalidate them for comparison, you're really making my case. Stricter gun laws equals less gun violence. You would agree with that statement I presume.

Cars are an interesting example, let's dig a little deeper. To drive a car, you need to qualify by age, be licensed for proficiency, and in a lot of states (if not all) you need insurance. Your car also has to meet very strict guidelines for safety and emissions. While driving you need to observe all relevant laws of the road, speed limits, stop signs, etc. If you're found in violation of any of these regulations, you will be fined at the least or possibly jailed. Fairly strong government intervention don't you think? Is that impinging on your freedoms, or is it reasonable? Maybe you're not as free as you thought, or maybe you're just not looking at guns like tools that need to be regulated just like cars.

It's worth noting that with the gun show exemption, anyone with a pulse can buy a gun. Crazy, not crazy. Knows how to shoot, doesn't know how to shoot. It's all the same in the US right now. This is why all the black market guns in other countries (Canada, Mexico) are coming in from the US.
                    - Charles Darwin

Comment

You can only compare yourself to butt fuck backwards countries if the point is to inflate your ego. All serious studies group countries by similar wealth, standard of living, democracy, journalistic freedom, etc. If you don't do this, you are very much comparing apples to oranges. Japan is a valid comparison precisely because they have similar wealth and standard of living, yet a fraction of the gun violence, which is the point of the comparison. By arguing that their strict gun laws invalidate them for comparison, you're really making my case. Stricter gun laws equals less gun violence. You would agree with that statement I presume.

Cars are an interesting example, let's dig a little deeper. To drive a car, you need to qualify by age, be licensed for proficiency, and in a lot of states (if not all) you need insurance. Your car also has to meet very strict guidelines for safety and emissions. While driving you need to observe all relevant laws of the road, speed limits, stop signs, etc. If you're found in violation of any of these regulations, you will be fined at the least or possibly jailed. Fairly strong government intervention don't you think? Is that impinging on your freedoms, or is it reasonable? Maybe you're not as free as you thought, or maybe you're just not looking at guns like tools that need to be regulated just like cars.

It's worth noting that with the gun show exemption, anyone with a pulse can buy a gun. Crazy, not crazy. Knows how to shoot, doesn't know how to shoot. It's all the same in the US right now. This is why all the black market guns in other countries (Canada, Mexico) are coming in from the US.
                      So now those countries are BLEEP BLEEP backwards and therefore do not have any intelligence to handle fire arms properly .......interesting glad to see you look down on most of the world but hey its your opinion.

As for the car thing lets dig a little deeper. You are talking about law abiding citizens.....I believe anyone who murders another citizen with a gun is not law abiding .....sounds like they are a criminal so lets look at driving a car as it pertains to a criminal. To drive a car all you need to do is reach the peddles so age doesnt really matter. Also you dont need a license ...remember your a criminal. Also insurance ....really youre gonna bring that up as a argument? Safe cars? Yeah thats why Ive seen cars running down the highway with a donut spare on doing 70mph even though its only suppose to do a max of 45mph and lights dont work etc. And of course no one ever speeds or rolls through a stop sign etc. The one thing you forgot about cars is any monkey can drive. How many times have you seen people that have no reason to be behind a wheel but yet the government you are so found of allows them.

So if you want to get all upset at how I supposedly compare apple to oranges then I would suggest doing it yourself because if you havent figured this out yet criminals dont care about laws. I dont care what law you make criminals will always have guns.

As for Japan I am not making your case I am making it against you. They pretty much cant have a gun in their hands unless hunting and they still have people murdered by guns which goes to my point that the only the criminals have guns.

Actually you are making my point you feel because a few nut cases kill people with guns that everyone shouldnt be allowed to have a gun. Well since a few idiots go out and drive drunk and kill people then all cars should be banned. fair is fair.

Comment

So now those countries are BLEEP BLEEP backwards and therefore do not have any intelligence to handle fire arms properly .......interesting glad to see you look down on most of the world but hey its your opinion.
                        This isn't about what I think of other countries, this is about how proper studies are done. One of the phrases used when doing these types of comparisons is "all other things remaining equal". There's a reason for this. We're trying to isolate the variables that could be the cause of, in this case, gun violence. So really, I hear what you're saying, but you're wrong. You might as well compare the US to Afghanistan, and since gun violence is through the roof there, make the conclusion that US gun laws are sufficiently strict. That's just nuts.

As for the car thing lets dig a little deeper. You are talking about law abiding citizens.....I believe anyone who murders another citizen with a gun is not law abiding .....sounds like they are a criminal so lets look at driving a car as it pertains to a criminal. To drive a car all you need to do is reach the peddles so age doesnt really matter. Also you dont need a license ...remember your a criminal. Also insurance ....really youre gonna bring that up as a argument? Safe cars? Yeah thats why Ive seen cars running down the highway with a donut spare on doing 70mph even though its only suppose to do a max of 45mph and lights dont work etc. And of course no one ever speeds or rolls through a stop sign etc. The one thing you forgot about cars is any monkey can drive. How many times have you seen people that have no reason to be behind a wheel but yet the government you are so found of allows them.
                        You can't redefine reality dude. The automotive industry/market in the US is one of the most strictly regulated in the world. That's either reasonable, or impinging on your freedoms. You decide. I think most readers will be able to figure out pretty quick that if it's reasonable to regulate automobiles then it would follow that regulating guns is equally reasonable.

And for the record, I'm not upset. I never was. If we disagree, I hope we can do so without being disagreeable.
                        - Charles Darwin

Comment

No, [MENTION=84288]videogames[/MENTION] is not the root of gun violence in the US lollll

Comment

This isn't about what I think of other countries, this is about how proper studies are done. One of the phrases used when doing these types of comparisons is "all other things remaining equal". There's a reason for this. We're trying to isolate the variables that could be the cause of, in this case, gun violence. So really, I hear what you're saying, but you're wrong. You might as well compare the US to Afghanistan, and since gun violence is through the roof there, make the conclusion that US gun laws are sufficiently strict. That's just nuts.

You can't redefine reality dude. The automotive industry/market in the US is one of the most strictly regulated in the world. That's either reasonable, or impinging on your freedoms. You decide. I think most readers will be able to figure out pretty quick that if it's reasonable to regulate automobiles then it would follow that regulating guns is equally reasonable.

And for the record, I'm not upset. I never was. If we disagree, I hope we can do so without being disagreeable.
                            Well all I can say is that if you want to use Japan and say they are like us you are wrong and you said it yourself to compare to things they have to be the same. Last time I looked we can have guns when ever and wherever we want as long as we follow laws. Japan cant have guns except to hunt after they are done hunting they have to give them to the government so they dont hurt themselves like a 2 year old. Thats not freedom to own firearms and that the difference between the U.S. and most other countries.

As for redefining reality how am I redefining reality. What you think Gun manufactures arent regulated? Please they are regulated more than cars especially when it comes to ammo and explosives. Why do you think Black Talons arent made anymore and are illegal to have.

To me you are missing the point and for some reason you think that if guns are banned that all murders would stop they wont and its people who live in a fantasy world that believe it would are just fooling themselves.

Since when did I say anything about government regulations. For the most part I have no issue with most. But we arent talking about regulating we are talking of banning there is a difference. I mean we have cars that do 200 mph why? speed limit is 65 for most of the country. I dont see the government banning cars that do more than 65. So why ban a gun because it shoots really fast and alot.

The whole point is people need to quite blaming guns, movies, video games, music, wind, sun, the bird that flew by just now and deal with mental disease properly.

Comment

Well all I can say is that if you want to use Japan and say they are like us you are wrong and you said it yourself to compare to things they have to be the same. Last time I looked we can have guns when ever and wherever we want as long as we follow laws. Japan cant have guns except to hunt after they are done hunting they have to give them to the government so they dont hurt themselves like a 2 year old. Thats not freedom to own firearms and that the difference between the U.S. and most other countries.

As for redefining reality how am I redefining reality. What you think Gun manufactures arent regulated? Please they are regulated more than cars especially when it comes to ammo and explosives. Why do you think Black Talons arent made anymore and are illegal to have.

To me you are missing the point and for some reason you think that if guns are banned that all murders would stop they wont and its people who live in a fantasy world that believe it would are just fooling themselves.

Since when did I say anything about government regulations. For the most part I have no issue with most. But we arent talking about regulating we are talking of banning there is a difference. I mean we have cars that do 200 mph why? speed limit is 65 for most of the country. I dont see the government banning cars that do more than 65. So why ban a gun because it shoots really fast and alot.

The whole point is people need to quite blaming guns, movies, video games, music, wind, sun, the bird that flew by just now and deal with mental disease properly.
                              Well, blaming video games or movies is ridiculous. On that we agree. Blaming guns for shooting people makes a lot more sense IMO, and in the opinion of most people outside of the US. And when we look at the data, yes more gun regulation equates to less gun violence.

Let me give you an example. Here in Canada we have regulated ownership of long guns. Hunters can use long guns in the field. We have restricted regulation of hand guns, which means they can only be used at a firing range. To acquire weapons you have to pass a gun safety course and get a background check. We have a long list of guns which are prohibited, and can not be legally owned or used (this typically includes very concealable guns and assault weapons). Guns must be stored locked with ammunition in a separate location. There is no such thing as carry permits (well this isn't entirely true, there are police officers and armed guards for banks and such). Having a gun for home protection is unheard of. Canada hasn't banned guns. We simply regulate them. Now look at our gun violence statistics compared to the US. The only reason Canada's gun violence statistics are as high as they are is because of black market guns flowing in from the US.

That example wasn't meant to say that we're better than you. It was meant to illustrate what sane gun regulation, not banning, can do for a country.
                              - Charles Darwin

Comment

Working...
                              X