A question of Morals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question of Morals

Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music? Why, or why not?

Personally I think it has nothing to do with any of them. I think that people are more product of environment. They see things that happen in really life
    that turns the violent etc.

What do you think?

yes i think it contributes to the original problem
    there is a problem with the person from the first place but it adds to the problem
    and giving new ideas
    nice thread
    sigpic
    SiniuS
    Thanks alot for this, Will not forget this!
    hybridx3 Thanks for this Beautiful masterpiece
    My FTN Giveaway Thread HERE

Comment

I've never sat down with a killer and asked them what inspired them to do it. When the Columbine shooting happened, they tried to pin the blame on musicians, but I tend to believe those kids were crazy and would have probably done it regardless. Violence in low income areas has been going on long before "gangster rap" came along, so I'm hesitant to believe someone listened to a CD and decided that's the reason they should go shoot up their neighborhood. So yeah, I tend to believe violent media isn't a direct inspiration for most violence.

That being said, I do think there may be a long-term effect involving being desensitized to violence and disturbing images. After so many times seeing graphically violent images, of shooting someone so many times in a video game..hell, even seeing images of death and violence on the nightly news, I think that death becomes not as big of a deal.

Comment

I think that teen violence most of the times can be blamed only on the teens parents or adult supervisor. Sometimes parents don't notice whats going on with their kids.

I have seen parents that buy M rated video games for kids and preteens. Then they try to blame the game for being to violent, and it is, but it is also for adults and not for kids. And I also see kids at the theater watching movies rated R, with the parents. I know that teens can find violent music and movies and video games on their own. But I'm not really talking about teens, I'm talking about kids that are way too young to be exposed to such violence. And if you are exposed to violence since you are a kid, it may make you more likely to be violent as a teen and as a young adult.

Also, I know of parents that have kids that should probably be getting physiologic or psychiatric help yet the parents are too proud and they don't want to notice that their is something wrong with their kid until it is too late. And then when this unstable teen does something, he might have gotten the idea or inspiration from a movie or video game, but really he did the violent act because his mental health wasn't good and the parents never helped him.

Comment

I believe that the person has to be screwed up from the beginning, although I am sure that there are other things that contribute to their outrages there definitely has to be an underlying factor.

It is my opinion that where I can see TV and Video games etc. can contribute to a person turning violent that this alone can not create this behavior. Violence is something that is not created if you have empathy you can not just go ballistic on someone at any given moment. Most violent individuals are persons without conscience or remorse over anything they do whether it creates hardship or not for others whether Human or animal. Take a person like that and then put him in an environment where they are subjected to violence on TV, Music or Video games and then to blame these things when the bomb explode is ludicrous the person was screwed up before they were subjected to this material.

so to answer your question no this behavior is not develop it is a natural trait that you are born with and just get compounded by your environment

Comment

If you look at history, it is painted with violence. I think we are less violent in modern times per capita than we have been in the past (just guessing, I have no data to back this up). That being said, blaming someone for going on a shooting spree is like blaming obesity on McDonalds. We have a tendency to seek for causes for a symptom. It's not always as white and black though. Humans do things for many reasons, and ultimately, its the persons choice to do something violent. You can blame everything else in the world and remove violence in video games and other media and you would be sad to find that violence still occurs.

Comment

While I believe they have very little affect on the psyche of someone who has been damage growing up, these people do or have play/ed violent video games and watch/ed violent shows which when someone is looking for something to blame the destruction they have caused, these two things become very easy targets. I will have to find it but I was reading the other day that most teenage school shooters read more violent books then they do play video games or watch violent TV. Don't quote me exactly on that I will have to jump on Google and find the article first.

Comment

Generally our society is far less violent than it used to be, so no. I don't think so.

If anything, I think the reverse might be true that an outlet to violence via video games may actually decrease other violent behavior. Still, if you've ever been around young boys at almost any age, the first thing they do in a room is figure out a way to fight. They'll be two years old and figure out a way to make swords out of anything long and straight despite never seeing anyone fighting with a sword.

Comment

The biggest contributor to violence and aggressive behavior starts at the childhood with children being physically and verbally abused by their parents. The euphemism called "Spanking" is basically physical assault on the little humans and should not be tolerated. Tell me, if it's not moral to punch an adult human male who has the capability of self-defense, then why is it moral to punch a little defenseless human. It's Not! There is scientific evidence that shows that physical abuse during the childhood age leads to aggressive behavior. It actually changes the brain and neurological pathways the lead us to act the way we do. If you want to make the world better, you need to raise children in a peaceful environment through peaceful parenting. It's science.

Comment

Originally posted by quasiman View Post
                    The biggest contributor to violence and aggressive behavior starts at the childhood with children being physically and verbally abused by their parents. The euphemism called "Spanking" is basically physical assault on the little humans and should not be tolerated. Tell me, if it's not moral to punch an adult human male who has the capability of self-defense, then why is it moral to punch a little defenseless human. It's Not! There is scientific evidence that shows that physical abuse during the childhood age leads to aggressive behavior. It actually changes the brain and neurological pathways the lead us to act the way we do. If you want to make the world better, you need to raise children in a peaceful environment through peaceful parenting. It's science.
                    That's a pretty black and white statement. Child abuse = abusive children. I could refute that in many ways but here is a simple story for you. My siblings and I grew up in what could only be described as disgusting physical and mental torture. After years of this we finally escaped and not one of us are violent or have violent children. We didn't let it define us we learned from it. This isn't to say that some children can't break the cycle or are just going with what they know. I'm just saying that there are other factors to look at.
                    I told a therapist I had long ago I wouldn't change what happened to me because I like who I am, to change what happened would take that away.

Comment

Yes, I think you can blame this all kind of scenes on TV and others, the morals have changed to the worse and from generation to generation you can see that the morals fade away and I think the big persons that we all have to blame are the people who responsible for the TV and the movie .

Comment

Blame shifting is all to common when it comes to socially unacceptable behavior. Currently the target is violent video games but go back about a decade and it was rock 'n' roll music. Go back even further and it would have been another kind of music or lifestyle.

While there may be contributing factors, I would also like to highlight that unlike a game, IRL there's no reset button. You can't go back to a previous checkpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by racerdude1969 View Post
                          Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music? Why, or why not?

Personally I think it has nothing to do with any of them. I think that people are more product of environment. They see things that happen in really life
                          that turns the violent etc.

What do you think?
                          Boy, this one has been going round for a lot of years. Violence is due to personality or conditioning, for example if your parents are violent to you for a long time, you're more likely to be violent to your kids, as it seems acceptable to you. In my opinion, it has very little (if anything) to do with the reflections of violence you can see in cinemas or even on TV. Sometimes the nightly news can be more violent than a movie. If this were not true, then there would have been a large increase in violence when censorship of films was relaxed in the mid-70s, and except for a few isolated cases (which might have happened anyway), it did not.
                          Just my PoV.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dick_Terrific View Post
                            That's a pretty black and white statement. Child abuse = abusive children. I could refute that in many ways but here is a simple story for you. My siblings and I grew up in what could only be described as disgusting physical and mental torture. After years of this we finally escaped and not one of us are violent or have violent children. We didn't let it define us we learned from it. This isn't to say that some children can't break the cycle or are just going with what they know. I'm just saying that there are other factors to look at.
                            I told a therapist I had long ago I wouldn't change what happened to me because I like who I am, to change what happened would take that away.
                            Hey,
                            First of all, I'm genuinely sorry that you had to experience that during your childhood and I want to thank you for not continuing the cycle. Yes, I've heard that "I was beaten up, and I grew up all fine" statement. You should ask yourself the question if I was not abused would I be a better, smarter, quicker, more successful man than I'm right now? The Law of Unintended Consequences my friend. And yes subjective evidence does reach a certain point where objective evidence over turns it. A black and white statement? Umm no. There is scientific evidence that shows a correlation between an abusive childhood and increase in aggressive behavior, depression, and drug addiction. I'm not saying that all abused children grow up violent, but you are not everybody. And please do refute this many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick_Terrific View Post
                              While I agree completely that because you were abused as a child that it doesn't mean you will grow up to be abusive yourself [and kudos to you and your siblings for having the mental fortitude to not do so], but there's absolutely a strong link between the two. Children who were abused are far more likely to become abusive. I'm glad you for you and your family you were able to break the cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X