Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you ever feel guilty for "stealing intellectual property"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im afraid not. I find that so many corporations seem to be against the little people they serve now days.

Remember buying a VHS film (ok some of you kids wont) or an audio tape? And then buying that exact same film or album on CD or DVD. Remember when you found out that CDs and DVDs cost pennys to make yet these grasping companies sold them to you for lots more than the cost of VHS or tapes? We then saw CDs get more and more expensive, and dont start me off on the rip off that is iTunes. Amazon album 4 for a physical object or you can download it for 5.99! What? I think we know who the real thieves are.

We then moved onto Blu-Ray and the industry repeated the tried and trusted method of charging more and more. No doubt when 4K media comes out this will be even more expensive.

Lets imagine a world where you could buy the latest CD for 1 (digital) , download the latest film for 2. Imagine how many they would sell! Imagine how little piracy they would be! But no, someone has decided they would rather sell 10 times less volume but for 10 times more price. So why should we feel quilt?

Comment

• There are plenty of people who do not know any thing about 2p2 and so they end up buying the actual product.Piraters are only a fraction of the total users of a product so i dont think it would hurt the creative minds.

Comment

• I buy a lot of music when I can as well as tons of band shirts so if I grab an album and I enjoy it (lets say I listen to it 5+ times) I almost always buy a shirt or two and physical copies of the album. For things like tv though I don't necessarily feel bad since I have direct tv and if I put in the time and effort I could probably dvr and backup everything I need. Its just a convenience factor.

For software though, I very rarely get it through anything but the legal means.. more of a "what the hell am I clicking on" thing rather than an issue of my policy towards IP lol.

The thing that really does bug me though, is when people download a band's discography and justify it by saying its ok because it gives the band exposure. I don't know about all of you, but the bands I'm mainly into don't have much legal support and it kinda sucks to see how disappointed they are with their fans. Artists now a days don't make more than a few bucks per each record sold, and if their record doesn't sell their record label won't put them on the most popular venues etc. I'm kind of rambling now but my opinion on piracy changes on a case to case basis. No problem with someone who doesn't have expendable income grabbing their entertainment, but some people who could very much afford to support the content creators and choose not to do so only because they think anything that can be transcoded onto a digital format should be free.. I feel aren't the most helpful to those who put all their time and effort into creating something.

Comment

• Originally posted by steve_159 View Post
          I buy a lot of music when I can as well as tons of band shirts so if I grab an album and I enjoy it (lets say I listen to it 5+ times) I almost always buy a shirt or two and physical copies of the album. For things like tv though I don't necessarily feel bad since I have direct tv and if I put in the time and effort I could probably dvr and backup everything I need. Its just a convenience factor.

For software though, I very rarely get it through anything but the legal means.. more of a "what the hell am I clicking on" thing rather than an issue of my policy towards IP lol.

The thing that really does bug me though, is when people download a band's discography and justify it by saying its ok because it gives the band exposure. I don't know about all of you, but the bands I'm mainly into don't have much legal support and it kinda sucks to see how disappointed they are with their fans. Artists now a days don't make more than a few bucks per each record sold, and if their record doesn't sell their record label won't put them on the most popular venues etc. I'm kind of rambling now but my opinion on piracy changes on a case to case basis. No problem with someone who doesn't have expendable income grabbing their entertainment, but some people who could very much afford to support the content creators and choose not to do so only because they think anything that can be transcoded onto a digital format should be free.. I feel aren't the most helpful to those who put all their time and effort into creating something.

I'm with you on buying music/movies that I like 100% (not sure about the shirts though) I have a stack of Vinyl and CD's also a heap of DVD's and a few tv show box sets.
          I also have a bookcase full of original software - apps and games.

I download quite a bit of stuff, especially music and software - what better way to see if you like it?
          If I use it once and trash it - is there any chance I would have bought it? - no

My opinion on piracy doesn't change - If I like it /use it/listen to it often - I buy it - support the artists and coders - because if we don't, we will all end up watching cat videos on youtube.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wundurra View Post
            we will all end up watching cat videos on youtube.
            Those compilations are funnier than most comedies anyway. :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Nojus View Post
              Those compilations are funnier than most comedies anyway. :D
              Having just suffered through "mrs brown's boys d'movie" I wholeheartedly agree. The funniset thing about that movie is that it scores as high as 4.1 on imdb.
              http://www.speedtest.net/result/3314782553.png

Comment

• Originally posted by soulfire View Post
                Having just suffered through "mrs brown's boys d'movie" I wholeheartedly agree. The funniset thing about that movie is that it scores as high as 4.1 on imdb.
                I have just 1 question... WHY? The tv series was terribad - you thought the movie would be 20 times better?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wundurra View Post
                  I have just 1 question... WHY? The tv series was terribad - you thought the movie would be 20 times better?

True. Even the series wasn't my kind of humour...I should have known better. But you gotta admit for those who like the show, there is a big gap between the average episode rating of 7.5 on imdb and the movie rating of 4.1
                  http://www.speedtest.net/result/3314782553.png

Comment

• Originally posted by soulfire View Post
                    True. Even the series wasn't my kind of humour...I should have known better. But you gotta admit for those who like the show, there is a big gap between the average episode rating of 7.5 on imdb and the movie rating of 4.1
                    Ahh don't rely to much on those imdb ratings anyhow, I watched "The Crossing" rated at 6.1 and "Penguins of Madagascar" rated 7.1 - The first was an excellent movie well acted the second, more derivative mainstream drivel.

I also recently watched 2 sci-fi movies 1 canned by imdb at 4.1 and the other a 7.5 - again my taste obviously differs to their reviewers.

Back on topic - yes I "stole" the crappy penguin movie - do I feel guilty - nope I feel totally justified in not paying for second rate garbage.

Are you listening movie moguls?
                    Don't just release more movies based on the original formula or "remake" old movies which are not even close to as good as the original.

There are 2 ways to make us (well some of us) pay for your products.

Give us great acting, with complex characters and storylines and/or Big Ass explosions/blood/gore we want to watch over and over.

<edit> Actually there's a third way - make it compulsory viewing for kids and we'll have to buy that "Frozen" DVD and hear that damned "Let it go" song so many times we get a nervous tick whenever it plays.

If a remake of Casablanca is ever made (many have been planned including one with that "great actress" Madonna-eek) you'd better make sure it's spectacular OK?

<end rant>
                    Last edited by Wundurra; December 28, 2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

• Nope not a bit. The computer has only created new ways for people to access information. In much the same way the printing press put the handwritten scribes out of business. The guys on the losing end of the tech change will bitch and moan, call you a ' thievin pirate', but that's just using outdated social norms to try and save their profit model. Soon enough they will figure out how control the new tech for their almighty dollar - like cloud based subscriptions - and the game will start again

Comment

• Yes. All the time. :( and this is a sin. Downloading copyrighted materials for free over p2p technology or any other method without paying to owners. That is called stealing.

Comment

• Really depends, rather hard, incredibly rare material. I feel guilty, but I'd rather have it readily available to the public if such material is no longer printed or over a certain period of time, it's released.

Games I do, but I don't as well. To try a demo more or less rather then waste cash on something not worth the salt.

Comment

Working...
                          X