Peaceful Coexistence between muslims and non muslims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peaceful Coexistence between muslims and non muslims

This is an extract taken from PEACEFUL CO-EXISTENCE By : Sayyid Sadru d-Din Baldghi

The message of Islam encompasses every aspect of human life. Islam cautions its followers from being over-zealous and restricts use of force in converting other people. Islam has laid down a set of regulations on the manner in which Islam was to be preached and spread.

Call unto the way of thy Lord with wisdom and goodly exhortation, and argue with them in a way that is best ... (Qur'-an, 16:125)

There should be no compulsion in religion. Surely, right has become distinct from wrong. . . (Qur'an, 2:256)

And argue not with the People of the Book except with what is best ... (Qur'an, 29:46)

Islam does not like anyone to be forced to believe in its message. The holy Qur'an says: . . . will thou, then, force men to become believers? (Qur'an, 10:99)

It is crystal clear from these verses that Islam aimed at spreading its message through peaceful means - by patient persuation and logical reasoning and not through use of force.

Islam insists upon its followers to maintain good and amicable relations with non-Muslims. This statement is emphasized by the following
    verse of the holy Qur'an:

Allah forbids you not, respecting those who have not fought against you on account of religion, and who have not driven you
    forth from your homes, that you be kind to them and act equitably towards them: surely Allah loves those who are equitable.
    (Qur'an, 60:8)

No wars would have been fought had the non-Muslims communities let Islam spread its message without interference and hindrance or
    if they did not resort to wanton persecution of the Muslims.

WARS - ISLAMIC VIEW

Islam, being a practical religion has three elements, namely intelligence, will and realism. Islam has always sought to unify all domains of people under the banners of Islam.
    Therefore, it faced the problem of coming across hard core enemies and the inevitability of war. Islam has never initiated wars but only fought back in defence of their basic rights when there was a threat to peace and order had to be restored. In this case, a police action would be launched to clear the society from trouble shooters and rebels.

. . . and if Allah did not repel some men by means of others, there would surely have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is often commemorated. . . (Qur'An, 22:40)

It is obvious from this verse that but for the resistance put up by the Muslims, there would not have remained places of worship. This is one of the examples when it was obligatory for Muslims to fight to defend places of worships and their right to worship Allah.

. . . and had it not been for Allah's repelling men some of them by the others, the earth would have become filled with disorder . . . (Qur'an, 2:251)

It was sacrosanct to uphold the primary value of religion and maintain discipline in the society. This required the Muslims to be harsh on traitors and prevent them from causing chaos and disorder. Islam by legislating war limited it. Use of force was permitted only in self-defence. Hereunder are situations where it was obligatory for Muslims to fight.

i) To wipe out oppression and injustices

ii) To defend the right to freedom of
    worship; and

iii) To defend the state.

There are many verses (in the holy Qur'an) to support the above theory and here are some
    of them

And fight in the cause of Allah against those who fight against you, but do not transgress. Surely, Allah loves not the transgressors. (Qur'An, 2:190)

. . . and fight the idolaters all together as they fight you all together: and know that Allah is with the righteous. (Qur'an, 9:36)

Permission (to fight) is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been oppressed - and Allah indeed has power to help them. Those who have been driven out from their homes unjustly only because they said, `Our Lord is Allah' . . . (Qur'an, 22:39-40)

These verses prove that Muslims were only allowed to fight in self-defence against oppression and tyranny. A summary of this theory is given in the following verse

Allah only forbids you, respecting those who have fought against you on account of (your) religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and have helped (others) in driving you out, that you make friends of them, and whomsoever makes friends of them - it is these that are the transgressors.
    ( Qur'an, 60:9)

I'd be interested in knowing your thoughts about this.

Muslims have been living in co-existence for centuries after the conquest of Europe in the late Middle Ages. Muslim Spain and Ottoman Empire at the same time practiced diplomacy of capitulations to protect christian subjects in their land. Yet, both muslims and jews were kicked out from Christian Spain in 1492 who didn't convert to Catholic Christianity. Most of these kicked jews and muslims sought refuge in Ottoman Empire. It was at the same time when an Ottoman Sultan Selim I discovered the Jewish Western Wall in Jerusalem in 1517. Same European Jews whose decendents kicked Muslim Arabs out of their land in 1948. Muslims do not need to apologize for anything that has happened in the past. Holocaust was not their fault either.

Comment

Originally posted by coolinsider View Post
      Ottoman Empire at the same time practiced diplomacy of capitulations to protect christian subjects in their land.
      I think you may find some disturbing facts about the Ottoman Empire if you researched further. I would refer you to the Armenian Genocide as a pretty atrocious example of Ottoman diplomacy. You may also find some horrific accounts of Ottoman raids on Greek villages where they kidnapped young boys for training as Janissaries. These diplomatic acts also involved the disposal of the parents in many cases.

Going back to AwaitingMahdi's original question - certainly, peaceful co-existence is very possible considering that we are all human (first and foremost). As long as we can accept differences in opinion and respect that there is more than just Jew, Muslim and Christian (ie the children of Abraham).
      Last edited by crates; June 21, 2012, 07:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I haven't researched the ottoman empire but what I do know is that whatever bad the muslims did and still do after the Prophet (sawa)'s time is due to the caliphate being in the wrong hands. If the caliphate had not been taken away from the progeny of the Prophet (sawa), then all if not most people would not say bad things about Islam. The true teachings of Islam is that a person is your brother in faith or your equal in humanity, but not many people know this.

Comment

Bad things are done by people. Most religions tend to preach some form of acceptance. Hinduism, for example, is a pacifist religion yet it has its right wing element in the BJP. Highly ironic given that a core tenet of Hindu belief is karma.

The "problem" with religion is not religion, but some of the people who eventually come to power within those religions.

Comment

It's unfortunate how many people will judge a religion based on the actions of a country that claims to represent the religion rather than looking up trustworthy sources that teach about the religion.

Comment

dont take any political party's name that would create problem for T-I AND US crate be little responsible and mature
              and for for awaiting mahdi (pbuh) dont live in past think about present and future, it would be good for all of us, dont strive for peace, taking about peace does not brings peace, u have to sacrifice many things in life if u have the guts then only u can bring a change.things around you are always related to u and how u behave, its good and i apreciate your thinking keep it up
              sigpic

Comment

All religions are peaceful, and all relate back to the beggining of time. They are just stories that are told a little different. That being said, all religions have extremists and that creates a bad view towards that religion.

Comment

Each and every religion thinks that it is superior than other religion. humanism is the best religion u can follow m following it i dont wnt to llive in past wher it like 500 ers back this man came and he changed every thing he is god's best frnd and blah blah blah seriousl i find this thing in every religion lols a normal average guy knows wht is wrong an right make your own choice be good to other's and they will treat you same , have mercy on others,never disrespect women, never hurt others lolscheers

peace to world peace to humanity
                  sigpic

Comment

Doesn't anyone find it ironic that people are willing to kill each other over an argument about where you go after you die?
                    sigpic

Comment

lols r u seri dude its like chop chop go find your self hm did you get the anser lols well things like theese are realy horrific i donno why people r so fanatic about their religion. donno why humans have lost humanity seri
                      sigpic

Comment

As far as I am concerned the best religion is no religion! Believe in something such as hope for a better life for you and your family.

Comment

And I bet, if I hopped over to Skeptic's Annotated Koran, I could probably find verses stating pretty much the opposite. After all, Islamic Fundies get their ideas from somewhere. Naturally I could also find similar verses in the bible.

Peaceful coexistence will come when people can draw Mohammed, Jesus, Apollo, Buddha, and Ganesha dressed up as the girls from K-On! (with Mo being Ritsu, natch) and not have to go into hiding.

No I'm not quite sure why that image popped into my head, but now IT'S IN YOURS. WAHAHA!

Comment

peaceful coexistance between muslims and non-muslims?....not anytime soon.
                            as i type these words, im watching CNN. more demonstrations are popping up in the muslim world. blaming the US, NOT, the person who posted the distastful video.
                            the person that posted the vid. is an american i believe....yet the wrath is against the USA?

so you can take a 1000 muslims, 1000 christians, and a 1000 jews, put them together. everybody getting along, peace, respect, etc. all it take is ONE!...ONE person to break this, and the whole thing ends. Lines are drawn, shouts are made, fighting begins.

so... unfortunately we are a long, long way from harmony between us.
                            special thanks to extJSDB for the VIP. special thanks to SiniuS for the avatar.
                            sigpic
                            "Alea iacta est." - The die is cast

"Veni, vidi, vici!" - I came, I saw, I conquered.

caesar....

Comment

well its not impossible, its just that America is also invovled its not that they r innocent or something well its not a individual issue its an political issue which needs to be sloved .15 years back things were diff i wish every thing could be just like b4
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X