Who are you guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are you guys?

How long have these torrent tracking communities been around for? It's definitely a sub-culture. What's driving it?
    Last edited by ozzylegend; May 29, 2012, 01:15 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

The desire to proliferate the sharing of information I suppose? I've been tracking since some time around 2007.

Comment

Sharing of information and entertainment yeah. But would such communities exist if there were no legality issues? There seems to be a weighted veil of secrecy over this type of community. Very odd.

Comment

Originally posted by ozzylegend View Post
        Sharing of information and entertainment yeah. But would such communities exist if there were no legality issues? There seems to be a weighted veil of secrecy over this type of community. Very odd.
        Well off course it will be!
        This is more than "legal issues" here!
        This is about sharing things.... its about internet freedom

Even if tomorrow i win 20.000.000€ i wouldnt stop torrenting
        Last edited by reohoie; May 30, 2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

interesting. what if you won....30mil euro...?

Comment

I'm not torrenting because of money issue, i'm torrenting because of the sharing spirit!

Comment

Sharing of information both digital and other wise has been a focal point since the first civilization.

Usenet, FIDOnet, FreeNet, I2P, OnionLand, P2P, Dead Drops, Media Mail, ect...

Even before the laws like the DCMA, people shared though Usenet, FIDOnet, sending floppies through the mail, ect...

Today we can share though P2P networks, FreeNet, Onionland, I2P, Dead Drops, File Hostin Services, FTP, ect...

I myself want to eventually set up a semi-private network using hardware with said capabilities. It won't be fast, but it will do what it is build to do...send and receive information in a Pt-to-PT configuration.

I've also looked into PSK-31, MANET's and Mesh Networking.

Let's say in some odd or strange occurrence the US cellular infrastructure collapses, along with all Telephony Infrastructure, ect...

Internet is a long of the past if you are using DSL or Cable, if you're using Satellite, then you may be alright.

Anyway, back to the hypothetical...how does one pass information and whatnot when the infrastructure is gone?

MANET (Mobile Ad-Hoc Network) can be built and often times already are. Simply having an open router that multiple systems can connect to to share information is a MANET.

It would allow multiple people in small area to share information and talk with each other.

Mesh Networking can utilize smart phones, of course the user must have the phone configured for such use. The way Mesh Networking works is each phone acts as a node relays data to another node until it's destination is reached.

So long as something like BlueTooth, ZigBee, Wifi, or any other protocol is on and unsecured the data will hop from devices to devices that has been configured until it reaches the devices destination.

You could also use a flooding technique where rather than the data being sent to a singular device, the data is sent to every device that is properly configured and shared by every other properly configured devices that they come in contact with.

PSK-21 is Phase Shift Key 21 Baud is a radio modulation mode that enables an amateur radio operator to use a PC sound card and PSK software, when the operator types a message, the software produces it into audible tones into a microphone jack or axillary connection, the sound is shifted into two states thus producing character code and this is sent out over the radio net to other PSK-31 operators, the audio imput on the recivering operators PC decodes the tones into text.

The reason and purpose of me tellng you those things is to show the flow of infomation, data, files, ect... had been and is an ongoing process and will continue so long as there is a means to do so.

Legality is a very small slice of the entire pie that is P2P.

People don't realize that it's more than movies or music that is shared P2P, software, information, data, text, ect... is all shared.

It's a matter of information freedom.

Comment

I really fail to see how the argument of 'freedom of information' can apply to most things today which are torrented (is that a word?). I have read a lot of things from people who believe it is their right to obtain things such as movies, tv series, games, software etc free of charge. I disagree with this entirely. These things cost a great deal of money to create, and if the people or companies creating don't get paid for their work, then it would not be created in the first place. Simply put, they deserve to be paid.

I don't try to justify myself with smoke and mirrors. I mostly download movies and tv series, and I do so because its free and easily available. There is not a single part of my which thinks I am entitled to this entertainment without paying, but I do it anyway because I would rather have it for free.

Too many people say PTP networks aren't just used for copyrighted material, and they have legitimate uses. I would like to know when and how often you download something which ins't infringing on copyright laws.

In my opinion the only thing driving these PTP networks is the fact that everything is free and so easy to get. It has nothing to do with legalities. Nobody thinks to themselves 'I'm going to download this just because I know I'm not allowed!'.

Comment

Originally posted by AtomicDew View Post
                  Sharing of information both digital and other wise has been a focal point since the first civilization.

Usenet, FIDOnet, FreeNet, I2P, OnionLand, P2P, Dead Drops, Media Mail, ect...

Even before the laws like the DCMA, people shared though Usenet, FIDOnet, sending floppies through the mail, ect...

Today we can share though P2P networks, FreeNet, Onionland, I2P, Dead Drops, File Hostin Services, FTP, ect...

I myself want to eventually set up a semi-private network using hardware with said capabilities. It won't be fast, but it will do what it is build to do...send and receive information in a Pt-to-PT configuration.

I've also looked into PSK-31, MANET's and Mesh Networking.

Let's say in some odd or strange occurrence the US cellular infrastructure collapses, along with all Telephony Infrastructure, ect...

Internet is a long of the past if you are using DSL or Cable, if you're using Satellite, then you may be alright.

Anyway, back to the hypothetical...how does one pass information and whatnot when the infrastructure is gone?

MANET (Mobile Ad-Hoc Network) can be built and often times already are. Simply having an open router that multiple systems can connect to to share information is a MANET.

It would allow multiple people in small area to share information and talk with each other.

Mesh Networking can utilize smart phones, of course the user must have the phone configured for such use. The way Mesh Networking works is each phone acts as a node relays data to another node until it's destination is reached.

So long as something like BlueTooth, ZigBee, Wifi, or any other protocol is on and unsecured the data will hop from devices to devices that has been configured until it reaches the devices destination.

You could also use a flooding technique where rather than the data being sent to a singular device, the data is sent to every device that is properly configured and shared by every other properly configured devices that they come in contact with.

PSK-21 is Phase Shift Key 21 Baud is a radio modulation mode that enables an amateur radio operator to use a PC sound card and PSK software, when the operator types a message, the software produces it into audible tones into a microphone jack or axillary connection, the sound is shifted into two states thus producing character code and this is sent out over the radio net to other PSK-31 operators, the audio imput on the recivering operators PC decodes the tones into text.

The reason and purpose of me tellng you those things is to show the flow of infomation, data, files, ect... had been and is an ongoing process and will continue so long as there is a means to do so.

Legality is a very small slice of the entire pie that is P2P.

People don't realize that it's more than movies or music that is shared P2P, software, information, data, text, ect... is all shared.

It's a matter of information freedom.
                  That is so refreshing to hear. My god after all the conspiracy crap you read about on the internet it's nice to know there are safeguards in place.

Thanks a lot for the reply really explained a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by marco123 View Post
                    I really fail to see how the argument of 'freedom of information' can apply to most things today which are torrented (is that a word?). I have read a lot of things from people who believe it is their right to obtain things such as movies, tv series, games, software etc free of charge. I disagree with this entirely. These things cost a great deal of money to create, and if the people or companies creating don't get paid for their work, then it would not be created in the first place. Simply put, they deserve to be paid.
                    Well i have two things to say, first if i could pay for torrenting legally i will (but we both know that not going to happen) and second if they don't create game/movie/tv, i will simply stop torrenting (but again that not going to happen, companies make billion)
                    Last edited by reohoie; May 31, 2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reohoie View Post
                      Well i have two things to say, first if i could pay for torrenting legally i will (but we both know that not going to happen) and second if they don't create game/movie/tv, i will simply stop torrenting (but again that not going to happen, companies make billion)
                      What material would you pay for? And would you pay full retail for it? I too would pay money if a cheap and easy solution was there. If there was a website in which movies and tv series could be purchased and downloaded legitimately and for cheap (say 1-$2) per season/movie, I would happily pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by marco123 View Post
                        What material would you pay for? And would you pay full retail for it? I too would pay money if a cheap and easy solution was there. If there was a website in which movies and tv series could be purchased and downloaded legitimately and for cheap (say 1-$2) per season/movie, I would happily pay it.
                        Hummm well let's say that with my actual salary i'm ready to pay 100€/month for full legal torrent access at everything (game/music/tv/music) and with no restriction (a kind of usenet system)

But paying for 1 season or 1 game is not interesting in my point of view
                        Last edited by reohoie; May 31, 2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

people love debating over something that generates more debate. The fact is torrenting is illegal-fact. But the justification for it can be a legitimate one. For example overpriced TV subscription(HBO, cable etc) with it extensive and annoying adverts is a legitimate reason why many torrent.

Comment

@marco123 are you sure your on the right site if you disagree so much with d/l things from torrents sites what exactly are you doing on a torrent invite site im not trying to get at you either just asking because if i didnt agree with it theres no way in hell i would be here

Comment

Sharing is caring ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X